grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

Reports when the announcement that they would be doing simultaneous releases indicated that Disney was pressuring theaters into showing Cruella along with Black Widow so good news for the former being a fully wide release at the end of the month. Also good news for Raya that it will now get the chance to play everywhere, even if it's too little too late (the free release on D+ is a month away).

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Eric Bombay said:

Wrath of Man Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-3 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 51 121 3995 3.03%

Comps

1.423x of Chaos Walking T-3 Before Release (1.89M)

1.613x of Nobody T-3 Before Release (4.05M)

Paging @datpepper

It's early days, and both movies had very different trajectories in the days ahead, but this is still a decent start IMO

Wrath of Man Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 0 87 166 7605 2.18%

Total Shows Added Today: 36

Total Seats Added Today: 3,610

Total Seats Sold Today: 45

Comps

1.976x of Chaos Walking T-2 Before Release (2.62M)

1.431x of Nobody T-2 Before Release (3.59M)

Gotta admit, I was pretty underwhelmed by today's jump. Let's see how tomorrow and Thursday fare

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Wrath of Man's sales have been pitiful around here. It looks like something that would've been released in a typical dump spot like Super Bowl weekend and quickly vanished without a trace in normal times. An opening weekend of about half of what The Gentlemen did seems about right.

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Wrath of Man's sales have been pitiful around here. It looks like something that would've been released in a typical dump spot like Super Bowl weekend and quickly vanished without a trace in normal times. An opening weekend of about half of what The Gentlemen did seems about right.

so another noneventful weekend on the cards. I hope Cruella/AQPII can actually make some noise on memorial day weekend. 

2 minutes ago, john2000 said:

from what i heard , a trailer drops today

Thank goodness for that. I've been getting the original trailer at every movie I've seen in theaters over the past couple weeks and I am so sick of it.

Tickets are finally available for purchase here btw. Expect some goodness tonight

• Like 1

4 hours ago, babz06 said:

so another noneventful weekend on the cards. I hope Cruella/AQPII can actually make some noise on memorial day weekend. 

Spiral should make similar numbers to what Jigsaw made in 2017 ($16-17M) but otherwise it's gonna be nothing but dumped flops between now and Memorial Day.

7 hours ago, Eric Bombay said:

Tickets are finally available for purchase here btw. Expect some goodness tonight

For the trackers, AQP II has 5pm Thr previews.

EDIT:::

There's also a separate "AQP II with Live Q&A from John Krasinski" listed, so for folks with scrapers, something to keep in mind.

*checks further*

Okay, that must be the 5pm one listed on Fandango.  So looks like normal screenings at 7pm and the Q&A at 5pm.

Edited by Porthos

11 minutes ago, Porthos said:

There's also a separate "AQP II with Live Q&A from John Krasinski" listed, so for folks with scrapers, something to keep in mind.

*checks further*

Okay, that must be the 5pm one listed on Fandango.  So looks like normal screenings at 7pm and the Q&A at 5pm.

Beat me to the punch, but this is a live Q&A so 5PM PST/8PM EST for it. Also looks like it’s a Cinemark exclusive.

• Like 2

Very very likely to track AQP II (just spend 45 min setting up the sheet for it, so....), but a word of warning.

Sacramento County is pretty much what passes for a hotspot for the 'rona in Cali these days, as we're one of the few populated counties that still is in the "Severe" tier, which is a 25% cap on seating.  A couple of theaters I track are in neighboring counties which are at the 50% tier, but the vast majority are in the 25% one.

Sacto has finally been trending downward, but I don't know if we'll get to the 50% cap mark by MDW. 

On the other hand, all local Regals will be back open by then, leaving just one small dine-in theater unopened from what I used to track. So while I'll make a comp against GvK (as it's pretty much all I have in the current environment), it'll aready be wonky due to two conflating variables (less of a cap than much of the country, but more theaters open than when GvK bowed).  Finally it won't be at the local True IMAX theater I track, but, eh.  That ain't that big of a deal.

• Like 5

Yeah it looks like Sacto will be right around the 6.0/5.9 ACR threshold next week, so it will likely be allowed to go orange on May 19ish or May 26ish. Depending on when local official give the go ahead in the latter case the sales trajectory and PSm could get rather wonky.

• Like 1

Maybe you guys are too pessimistic when it comes to Wrath of Man (and also Spiral and Those Who Wish Me Dead)?
Wrath of Man made 1.7M in Australia as mentioned by charlie Jatinder (which was the total of e.g. The Mechanic there and The Mechanic made 29M in the USA, under other circumstances of course). Wrath of Man was as well two times #1 in Russia with so far 7M in 11 days.
Its trailer has not less than 18.3M views on youtube (a very good number compared to other action films) and is also very well received (only 2% dislikes).
Finally I remember that e.g. films with a similar target group like Angel Has Fallen (21.4M) or Rambo V were not doing much better than Stuber pre-sales-wise (8.2M), at least where I counted, but their walk-ups helped a lot. Wrath of Man should be a film with good walk-ups too.

5 hours ago, el sid said:

Maybe you guys are too pessimistic when it comes to Wrath of Man (and also Spiral and Those Who Wish Me Dead)?
Wrath of Man made 1.7M in Australia as mentioned by charlie Jatinder (which was the total of e.g. The Mechanic there and The Mechanic made 29M in the USA, under other circumstances of course). Wrath of Man was as well two times #1 in Russia with so far 7M in 11 days.
Its trailer has not less than 18.3M views on youtube (a very good number compared to other action films) and is also very well received (only 2% dislikes).
Finally I remember that e.g. films with a similar target group like Angel Has Fallen (21.4M) or Rambo V were not doing much better than Stuber pre-sales-wise (8.2M), at least where I counted, but their walk-ups helped a lot. Wrath of Man should be a film with good walk-ups too.

Im just trying to remain cautious. I do think Wrath of Man should top this weekend's BO but it doesn't seem like it's going to breakout. 

Im also weary of Spiral just because horror hasnt been the strongest genre throughout the pandemic. I would love for it to be the first one to hit double digits opening weekend because that would indicate more audiences are venturing out to theater. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 10:43 PM, Eric Bombay said:

Wrath of Man Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-2 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 0 87 166 7605 2.18%

Total Shows Added Today: 36

Total Seats Added Today: 3,610

Total Seats Sold Today: 45

Comps

1.976x of Chaos Walking T-2 Before Release (2.62M)

1.431x of Nobody T-2 Before Release (3.59M)

Gotta admit, I was pretty underwhelmed by today's jump. Let's see how tomorrow and Thursday fare

Wrath of Man Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-1 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 1 95 256 9007 2.84%

Total Shows Added Today: 8

Total Seats Added Today: 1,402

Total Sellouts Added Today: 1

Total Seats Sold Today: 90

Comps

1.954x of Chaos Walking T-1 Before Release (2.59M)

1.463x of Nobody T-1 Before Release (3.67M)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-22 and Counting (Thu+Fri)

TOTALS 0 94 32 8356 0.38%

I don't have any comps since this is the farthest I've gone back in terms of days before release.

So...I will play benefit of the doubt here and acknowledge that there was no official ticket announcement. It's supposed to come with the trailer tomorrow, so this could just be a case where there's little awareness tickets are available.

But with all that said...this is not what I expected nor what I wanted to see tonight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A Quiet Place Part II Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-22 days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

11.91%

Total Sellouts Added Today

Total Seats Sold Today

Day One Comp

%

Sold Day 1

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

GvK

0/88

3412/3608

5.43%

7.83m

NOTE: Sacramento area tickets did not go on sale locally for the first couple of days of ticket sales nationwide due to area theaters being closed thanks to the 'rona.

NO PWP CURRENTLY AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE FOR AQP II

======

AQP II did a LOT better in Sacto for whatever reason than it did in Philly.  In fact, it's already almost where AQP II - Take One was at when it was at T-18 (177 tickets sold).  Give or take, as I didn't realize that it originally had a double feature up and running.

As one might expect, it did very well at Century Arden today.  In fact, so well that when I went back and checked to make sure I didn't have an error in my sheets, a showing sold out.

Not many shows at all and no PWP are available, near as I can tell.  Not yet at least.  Though to be fair, one chain doesn't have Thr Previews up and running, though it did pop in Fri showings late tonight.

One other thing to note.  For whatever reason, neither Atom nor Fandango are showing the normal 7pm and later showings for AQP II at Cinemark locations (it is up for Regal) and are only showing the Q&A one at 5pm . This might be impacting sales elsewhere, I dunno. Hopefully will be fixed by tomorrow.  This does mean that the vast majority of local Cinemark sales were via the corp website.

So is Sacto the outlier or is Philly?  Find out soon enough. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1