grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

:hahaha:

This is all over the place.

Anyways, happened with Sonic as well. They underreported the previews, so previews were probably $5-5.25Mish and True Friday with totally normal ratios was $14-14.25M ish.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

:hahaha:

This is all over the place.

Anyways, happened with Sonic as well. They underreported the previews, so previews were probably $5-5.25Mish and True Friday with totally normal ratios was $14-14.25M ish.

I don't they they did. 4.8m is pretty much in line with a lot of tracking here. And I can see little benefit for them to underreport preview number. 

• Like 4

these 14.5m is a surprise since all tracking we have suggest 12m+ true friday. With this , preview/friday is about 3x, which make a lot more sense and closer to the normal world that we have been hoping for,    

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I don't they they did. 4.8m is pretty much in line with a lot of tracking here. And I can see little benefit for them to underreport preview number. 

The numbers MTC 1 and 2 did, normally that would be $6M previews. Cutting away Canada, that's still $5.5M, $4.8M was just too low unless movie had really low number of locs of playing previews.

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The numbers MTC 1 and 2 did, normally that would be $6M previews. Cutting away Canada, that's still $5.5M, $4.8M was just too low unless movie had really low number of locs of playing previews.

I just don't get the benefit of doing this switching. Perhaps all the trailer and marketing pointing May 28 as first day, the preview maybe is only attended by more fans and general public go to see it on Friday.  Perhaps saturday number will confirm if either is true but I tend to believe 14.5m true friday is a genuine number since that pretty much line up with other MW's opener 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Reading @keysersoze123 and @WandaLegion reaction in morning will be fun.

Eh, Cruella is as I thought it should do True Fri wise. AQP2 like 10% stronger. As awesome as keyser’s numbers are to have, clear that it’s tough to extrapolate from them to national final nums in this environment until we’ve seen first few days of each run to get grounded.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

As awesome as keyser’s numbers are to have, clear that it’s tough to extrapolate from them to national final nums in this environment until we’ve seen first few days of each run to get grounded.

yeah totally.

I was more like pointing toward the relief of it coming back to normal ratios.

• Like 1

Not sure how much it actually matters, but a bunch of Regals came back online on Friday.  If some/many of them either had no Thr previews or had limited previews compared to the other major theater chains that might explain some of the "overindexing" seen by @keysersoze123.  For instance, one local Regal that came back yesterday did have last-minute Thr Previews, but not at the same level of showings as other Regal theaters in town.

Or it's that things are still pretty scrambled right now and it's tough to separate the box office signal from the noise of the 'rona.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, CJohn said:

How are pre sales for The Conjuring 3?

It's starting to pick up the pace at my theater. I think it's sold ~25 seats or so across Friday rn. I'll do another update tomorrow or Monday

• Like 2

Thanks to both of you.

I am hoping Conjuring 3 and In The Heights are able to continue the good momentum.

Edited by CJohn
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2021 at 10:46 PM, Eric De Vil said:

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-7 and Counting (Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 1 38 350 3837 9.12%

Total Seats Sold Today: 32

The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-6 and Counting (Fri)

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 1 49 418 4840 8.64%

Total Showings Added: 11

Total Seats Added: 1,003

Total Seats Sold Today: 68

Comp

0.258x of Godzilla vs. Kong T-6 Before Release (2.50M)

0.390x of Mortal Kombat T-6 Before Release (3.55M)

0.465x of A Quiet Place Part II T-6 Before Release (8.98M)

@CJohn

Just letting you know the new showings and seats weren't added today. I just didn't have the time to update these :lol: 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was way off. Again its hard to extrapolate in these market conditions. I feel we are better off looking at sample data and extrapolating. 

AQP2 D2

MTC1 - 291181/1187427 2939633.00 7486 shows

MTC2 - 213089/829681 2385597.17 6002 shows

Cruella D2

MTC1 - 135884/712352 1096440.00 5092 shows

MTC2 - 113872/531424 1152857.73 4037 shows

Not much of a increase for either movies. But I am iffy on ratios. It should go down a bit from friday. So I would say 15-20% increase for Cruella(minus previews) and 10% for AQP2(minus previews).

I will again take a hiatus. Will be back for F9 or BW. Hopefully its "normal" Bo though I am skeptical. BW is hybrid and so it cannot be normal and F9  franchise is over the hill domestically. I am expecting F9 to drop quite a bit from F8. 

I predict no movie over 150m this summer :-(

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Anyways, the only other thing I wanted to mention is how strange In the Heights' release strategy seems to be. Some theaters have the film debuting on Thursday the 10th instead of Friday the 11th. But it isn't like standard previews. These Thursdays go as early as 2PM. I guess this is a last-minute change, but some theaters don't have the movie playing on Thursday. Granted it could just be an update, but this strategy just seems really...stupid to me. Just put it out on Friday like originally planned and I won't get a headache over this.

• Sad 3

21 minutes ago, Eric De Vil said:

Anyways, the only other thing I wanted to mention is how strange In the Heights' release strategy seems to be. Some theaters have the film debuting on Thursday the 10th instead of Friday the 11th. But it isn't like standard previews. These Thursdays go as early as 2PM. I guess this is a last-minute change, but some theaters don't have the movie playing on Thursday. Granted it could just be an update, but this strategy just seems really...stupid to me. Just put it out on Friday like originally planned and I won't get a headache over this.

The official account on twitter says June 10th now too. I guess they'll do an official announcement tomorrow morning? Weird as hell though.

29 minutes ago, Eric De Vil said:

It was moved to a Thurs open earlier today, so I’d guess it’s a simple matter of some not updating yet.

• Like 3