grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

40 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Agreed, actually if you look only the average ratings themselves MCU have plenty of just ok received movies, but they´re capable of please most people who watch it even if not by much, so we have those really high scores which is what matters for most people.

I´m sure they will eventually fail to deliver this ´´perfect designed to please´´ movies, but i think this is not happening anytime soon.

I've not been able to view average ratings for quite some time on that site which is annoying 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

What a relief finally seeing people stop talking about 30M-ish for Shang Chi.

Unless the theaters crash completely in the next 2 weeks and half, SC will open in likely similar environment than FG. If that one can open with 28M i think this is obviously doing at least +45M.

Personally i think this only need like 40M 3-day and the entire industry will be more confident about the next months, considering Delta and that this is still a chinese oriented characted in a new IP, even if it have Marvel brand behind it.

But from now, i think 7-8M previews are pretty reasonable based on the first numbers, and internal multi will be much better than BW for sure so i think this actually have a better shot in doing 60M than 45M. I´m really rooting for it, it´s this type of number that industry needs right now to be sure the business is safe and alive, even if still in recovery.

For a Marvel movie after BW made $80M with PA - $40M would still be terrible.

I said when Deadline made the stupid "$23M is good" line, it meant Disney was expecting high 30's for Shang-Chi...pushing it to the low $40s would be better than it was, but it'd still be a horrible number and set up for the fall, especially as a full theatrical release.  I mean, Jungle Cruise was $35M with PA.  It can't go under than number b/c I can't see many JC fans (aka Disney fan base), not showing up for Shang Chi, and Marvel extra base should give a bump on top...

But, maybe we'll get a good number - $70M for 4 days would be a good sign for fall...and there is capacity for it in the current showing sets...

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

The Night House
Tracking Date Showtime Date Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats % Sold
8/16/2021 8/19/2021 0 2 8 316 2.53%
8/16/2021 8/20/2021 0 8 7 632 1.11%

The Protégé
8/16/2021 8/19/2021 0 2 3 316 0.95%
8/16/2021 8/20/2021 0 8 2 632 0.32%

Paw Patrol: The Movie
8/16/2021 8/20/2021 0 10 190 823 23.09%

Reminiscence
8/16/2021 8/20/2021 0 8 8 1084 0.74%

Paw Patrol is only slightly behind Jungle Cruise Thursday+Friday so far, and that's with a single day! It's the kind of film to get big groups and draw pre sales, but lmfao at it doing this well so far. Comps are kinda out the window for this.

Everything else...zip.

Edited by Ezen Baklattan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

Paw Patrol is only slightly behind Jungle Cruise Thursday+Friday so far, and that's with a single day! It's the kind of film to get big groups and draw pre sales, but lmfao at it doing this well so far. Comps are kinda out the window for this.

Everything else...zip.

Are there any Tuesday showings for Paw in your area soaking up demand? I noticed some locally and thought it was odd.

Shang-Chi MTC2

Thursday:

Showtimes: 2054

Seats Sold: 6838/325949

Friday:

Showtimes: 4282

Seats Sold: 4558/684904

This is as of a couple of hours ago so probably heading for a bit over 8k for Thursday 24 hours and ~5300 for Friday 24 hours. Thursday would be a bit under half of BW 24-hr pace and Friday will be higher. No comps for now. As I said earlier it's well below BW but way above any other start I have tracked other than F9 so I will have to wait until T-10 (when I can use the F9 comp and hopefully the BW comp would be stable by then as well). Anyway from the Friday start I think the Th/Fri ratio will be better than BW, let's see how it is after a few days. 

Paw Patrol MTC2

Friday:

Showtimes: 1358

Seats Sold: 9421/183554

Not sure how to interpret this given the Regal situation but in isolation it's a high number and an extremely high occupancy ratio. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Are there any Tuesday showings for Paw in your area soaking up demand? I noticed some locally and thought it was odd.

Paw Patrol has a very public campaign for Cinemarks that their 1st showings M-Th next week will be "preschool friendly" with half-lights, almost no preshow ads/trailers, and some other bennies...

This movie is gonna be 10am-12pm shows...and then no sales for the rest of the day...

If I was one of my Cinemark theaters going in to this weekend, I'd just give the dang thing 10 of 12 screens for 10am-12pm (however they stagger) and then one showing at 3pm and 6pm and call it a day...nap time and nighttime won't draw anyone in...

It will be funny when this stays for months b/c it's the only movie that will sell a weekday 1st showing (whenever those are) seat, since school starts and seniors aren't going to movies...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

Shangi Chi OD

MTC1  - 9985/662467 171289.54 3154 shows

About half of preview PS( @ 20.4K). Still good but PS will be skewed MTC1 and previews for sure. MTC2 is also skewed (Prev PS 7.3K to 4.5K OD). 

It will slow down big after a start as usual. But its still a good start. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Paw Patrol only has 2 showtimes at my theatre Thursday (3:10pm,6:15pm) and it’s just under 70 seats sold already. For comparison Space Jam had 9 showtimes and had sold 100 seats on preview night. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Shangi Chi OD

MTC1  - 9985/662467 171289.54 3154 shows

About half of preview PS( @ 20.4K). Still good but PS will be skewed MTC1 and previews for sure. MTC2 is also skewed (Prev PS 7.3K to 4.5K OD). 

It will slow down big after a start as usual. But its still a good start. 

Wait. Previews are 20K? Holy shit.

Edit: What is theater coverage Keyser.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

54 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

That seems big. @keysersoze123 can you help with MTC1, because since MTC 3 is missing, need MTC1 to make sense of overall.

Paw Patrol Friday

MTC1 - 9692/182767 103802.24 1215 shows. 

Meh. But show counts could go up quite a bit tomorrow. Still NOT expecting a big OW based on MTC1. 

Edited by keysersoze123
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I mean how many theaters data is this. How many have reserved data. For BW it was 425 ish IIRC.

415 theatres. Rest either dont have reserved shows or have not yet started sales. Also 48 theatres closed for good and so I need to build the list again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Paw Patrol MTC2

Friday:

Showtimes: 1358

Seats Sold: 9421/183554

So about 3/4th of JC and 5/4th of FG at same time. Though due to absence of REGAL, MTC2 ratio will be higher, I expect 35K ish final Friday PS and 120-140K final for $5.5-6.5M Friday. That should lead to $17.5-21.5M.

• Like 2