grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

One other thing worth noting:

There's not a single 3D showing in town this weekend. Every theater is showing all of the current films in 2D only.

Of course, you can buy advance tickets for 3D showings of Aladdin, Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, SLOP, Spidey, whatever else, but I kind of dig the fact that it's 2D-only this weekend.

3 minutes ago, kitik said:

One other thing worth noting:

There's not a single 3D showing in town this weekend. Every theater is showing all of the current films in 2D only.

Of course, you can buy advance tickets for 3D showings of Aladdin, Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, SLOP, Spidey, whatever else, but I kind of dig the fact that it's 2D-only this weekend.

I know this is for The Secret Life of Pets but this acronym always makes me laugh.

Spoiler

Image result for slop pig

Edited by filmlover
  • Haha 1

Figure I'll put my Aladdin locals Thursday, so I can see if they grow by Thursday...

1st local - Cinemark - 2 shows - 1 2d - 71/185 seats sold, 1 3d - 8/185 seats sold - total 79/370 sold

2nd local - Regal - 4 shows - 3 2d - 32/125, 76/170, 9/125 seats sold, 1 3d - 4/170 - total 121/590 sold

It's actually doing okay...although its night shows and 3ds are non-existent, but I expect that b/c I see this as a 35+ (and dragged 12 and under) movie demo...I'm not sure this is gonna turn out the 13-34s, except for those uber-Disney fans, or those who started families early:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/17/2019 at 5:08 PM, Thanos Legion said:

17 PT 5/17/19 (End of Fri)

1	38.5%	John Wick:Chapter 3 - Parabellum
2	25.2%	Avengers: Endgame
3	14.8%	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
4	5.5%	A Dog’s Journey
5	3%      The Hustle  

17 PT 5/18/19 (End of Sat) 

1	32.3%	John Wick:Chapter 3 - Parabellum
2	28.1%	Avengers: Endgame
3	18.4%	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
4	5.3%	A Dog’s Journey
5	3.3%    The Hustle  

Nothing too interesting here

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mulder said:

@Porthos KoTM world premiere is tonight just so you know. (You asked to be tagged once it's happening and it seems that tonight is indeed the night)

It's too late in the day for any real sort of bump that I'll be able to capture post-premiere.  Start looking at tomorrow then to see if there is one or not.

Much obliged on the tag. :)

• Like 1

After seeing Rocketman tonight, I could see it perform somewhat similarly to Bohemian Rhapsody, just without the awards bumps. But a total close to 150 million seems about right. 

Much like that movie, it's the music that is the heart of the film.

What's interesting to note, when Bohemian Rhapsody opened, Queens music exploded back onto the charts. 

This one is a little different, because the soundtrack is sung by Taron Eagerton, so the soundtrack itself isn't going to be the big seller for Elton fans, it will be his hits collections. 

And as luck would have it, that's already climbing up the charts just with the pre-release buzz. 
His "Diamonds" hits album re-entered the top 50 this past week, selling a combined total of 13 081 units (sales and streaming).

http://hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming

This is sure to rocket (excuse the pun) up the charts in 2-3 weeks and help sustain the buzz on the film. 

There is also an original song on the album, a duet performed by Taron and Elton. That will be eligible for Best Original Song at the Oscars. 

In a twist of fate, apparently there will also be an original Elton/Tim Rice song on TLK soundtrack, which will also be eligible. 
Elton ofcourse won the Oscar for "Can You Feel The Love Tonight".

I'm quite excited to track the performance of this one....

Edited by VanillaSkies
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mulder said:

First count of today, only Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-122 (+2), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular)

Aladdin-103 (+2), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening) Final week

Dark Phoenix-61 (+1), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Nothing too huge for any of the openers yet but...man Aladdin is....yeah.

Final count of today, only Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-123 (+3), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular)

Aladdin-110 (+9), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening) Final week

Dark Phoenix-62 (+2), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Slow day for Godzilla and Dark Phoenix. I'm going to dig up and see what John Wick was doing at this point in time before I comment on Aladdin but it still being behind Godzilla is...something. In total today Godzilla sold 3 tickets, Aladdin sold 9 tickets, and Phoenix sold 2.

• Thanks 4

On 5/12/2019 at 12:00 AM, Mulder said:

Godzilla: KoTM-66 (+10), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular) Second Day

Aladdin-72, 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

John Wick-115 (+5), 4 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Regular) Final week

Oof bad day for Aladdin. Good days for KoTM and John Wick though. In total today Godzilla sold 10 tickets, John Wick sold 5 tickets, and Aladdin lost 9 and didn't sell any.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Godzilla: KoTM-123 (+3), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular)

Aladdin-110 (+9), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening) Final week

Dark Phoenix-62 (+2), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Slow day for Godzilla and Dark Phoenix. I'm going to dig up and see what John Wick was doing at this point in time before I comment on Aladdin but it still being behind Godzilla is...something. In total today Godzilla sold 3 tickets, Aladdin sold 9 tickets, and Phoenix sold 2.

I mean Aladdin sold more today then Wick did...but it's still under Wick by 5 tickets. Make of that what you will.

Edited by Mulder
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

before I comment on Aladdin but it still being behind Godzilla is...something.

Well, to be fair, KotM does have a 20 ticket or so head start thanks to all of your purchases for opening night. :ph34r:

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Mulder said:

FFH midnight showings-

FFH-66 (+3), 3 screenings (1 IMAX, 1 3D, 1 Regular)

FFH midnight showings-

FFH-67 (+1), 3 screenings (1 IMAX, 1 3D, 1 Regular)

• Thanks 2

Aladdin Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-5 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

11.77%

Total Showings Added Today:              7

Total Seats Added Today:                 675

Total Seats Sold Today:                      66

The best comp I have so far is Detective Pikachu.  I also have less ideal comps with Solo (for Memorial Day Weekend like-for-like), JW2 and FB2.  Use the later comps with caution.

Unadjusted Comps

1.1671x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu 5 days before release. 

PRE-SALES NOTE:  [Pika Pika had 29 days of pre-sales while Aladdin had 24]

T-5:

Pika:     113  tickets sold  [0 sellouts/62 showings   |  6327/7464 seats left   | 15.23% sold]

Adjusted Comps

.3093x as many tickets sold as Solo 5 days before release.

.5484x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom 5 days before release.

.4850x as many tickets sold as Crimes of Grindelwald 5 days before release.

PRE-SALES NOTE: Solo had 20 days of pre-sales, JW2 had 22 days of pre-sales and FB2 had 30 days of pre-sales while Aladdin had 24.

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

T-5 days:

Solo                89 tickets sold [0 sellouts/92 showings   |   6228/10146 seats left | 38.62% sold]

JW2               124 tickets sold [0 sellouts/111 showings |   9053/11263 seats left | 19.62% sold]

Aladdin (JW)    59 tickets sold [0 sellouts/81 showings   |   8837/10049 seats left | 12.06% sold]

FB2                 91 tickets sold [0 sellouts/98 showings   | 10837/13377 seats left | 18.99% sold] 

Aladdin (FB)    62 tickets sold [0 sellouts/81 showings   |   9255/10487 seats left | 11.75% sold]  

Aladdin (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom and Solo

**Aladdin (FB) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Crimes of Grindelwald

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

King of the Monsters Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-12 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

5.91%

Total Seats Sold Today:                     50

IMO, the best comp of movies I have tracked will be Fallen Kingdom.  I also have comps with the Aladdin (still in pre-sales) and Detective Pikachu as something as a compare/contrast with current May movies.  They may not be as good comps, being in different genres.

Unadjusted Comps

1.2362x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu 12 days before release. 

0.8308x as many tickets sold as Aladdin 12 days before release.

PRE-SALES NOTE:  [Pika Pika had 29 days of pre-sales and Aladdin had 24 while King of the Monsters had 20 days of pre-sales]

T-12:

Pika        29  tickets sold  [0 sellouts/75 showings   |  8068/8648 seats left   |  6.71% sold]

Aladdin   46 tickets sold  [0 sellouts/70 showings   |  9134/9997 seats left   |  8.63% sold]

Adjusted Comps

.4425x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom 12 days before release.       

PRE-SALES NOTE: JW2 had 22 days of pre-sales while KotM had 20.  Also some theaters had KotM tickets on sale for a few days before they were officially announced to the public for sale. 

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

T-12:

JW2               45 tickets sold [0 sellouts/97 showings   |   8583/10113 seats left   |  15.13% sold]

KotM (JW)      40 tickets sold [0 sellouts/90 showings   | 10403/11080 seats left   |    6.11% sold]

KotM (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

On 5/18/2019 at 10:41 PM, Porthos said:

Aladdin Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-5 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

11.77%

Total Showings Added Today:              7

Total Seats Added Today:                 675

Total Seats Sold Today:                      66

The best comp I have so far is Detective Pikachu.  I also have less ideal comps with Solo (for Memorial Day Weekend like-for-like), JW2 and FB2.  Use the later comps with caution.

Unadjusted Comps

1.1671x as many tickets sold as Detective Pikachu 5 days before release. 

PRE-SALES NOTE:  [Pika Pika had 29 days of pre-sales while Aladdin had 24]

T-5:

Pika:     113  tickets sold  [0 sellouts/62 showings   |  6327/7464 seats left   | 15.23% sold]

Adjusted Comps

.3093x as many tickets sold as Solo 5 days before release.

.5484x as many tickets sold as Fallen Kingdom 5 days before release.

.4850x as many tickets sold as Crimes of Grindelwald 5 days before release.

PRE-SALES NOTE: Solo had 20 days of pre-sales, JW2 had 22 days of pre-sales and FB2 had 30 days of pre-sales while Aladdin had 24.

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: If a theater locally that is now selling tickets for reserved seating was selling them for the above movies, but as non-reserved seating for that movie, it is not counted toward the ratio of 'as many tickets sold' for the movie in question.  If a theater is brand new to the region and wasn't yet open for one of the above movies, however, it will be counted toward the ratio.  It will also be counted toward the ratio if it was playing in a different number of theaters locally.

T-5 days:

Solo                89 tickets sold [0 sellouts/92 showings   |   6228/10146 seats left | 38.62% sold]

JW2               124 tickets sold [0 sellouts/111 showings |   9053/11263 seats left | 19.62% sold]

Aladdin (JW)    59 tickets sold [0 sellouts/81 showings   |   8837/10049 seats left | 12.06% sold]

FB2                 91 tickets sold [0 sellouts/98 showings   | 10837/13377 seats left | 18.99% sold] 

Aladdin (FB)    62 tickets sold [0 sellouts/81 showings   |   9255/10487 seats left | 11.75% sold]  

Aladdin (JW) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Fallen Kingdom and Solo

**Aladdin (FB) is the number of tickets sold at the same theaters I had tracking info for Crimes of Grindelwald

No way to sugar coat this.  Just a bad bad day locally.  Especially compared to the last couple of days.  Mostly on the level of comparing it to Pika Pika.

There is a small silver lining and that's Century Blue Oaks, one of the busiest theaters in the region finally added to its showing count (it had been at two showings this whole time).  It added seven showings today, so that should goose Aladdin's numbers tomorrow and Monday. 

The other note is I decided I should rope in Solo.  Not only for the Memorial Day like for like comp, but to see if Aladdin follows a similar growth pattern to it in its final few days.  Been thinking about doing it for the last couple of days and decided to pull the trigger today.

We'll see where it goes from here, but this was not a good omen in the slightest.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

No way to sugar coat this.  Just a bad bad day locally.  Especially compared to the last couple of days.  Mostly on the level of comparing it to Pika Pika.

There is a small silver lining and that's Century Blue Oaks, one of the busiest theaters in the region finally added to its showing count (it had been at two showings this whole time).  It added seven showings today, so that should goose Aladdin's numbers tomorrow and Monday. 

The other note is I decided I should rope in Solo.  Not only for the Memorial Day like for like comp, but to see if Aladdin follows a similar growth pattern to it in its final few days.  Been thinking about doing it for the last couple of days and decided to pull the trigger today.

We'll see where it goes from here, but this was not a good omen in the slightest.

It had a decent day at my theater...until I saw John Wick was still ahead of it by 6 tickets.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 1:29 AM, McClintonforThree said:

23 hours ago, McClintonforThree said:

Only Thursdays

Orange Park AMC

Aladdin - 135 (+18), 8 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 1 3D, 2 Regular, 1 Fan Event)

Godzilla KOTM - 104 (+12), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 1 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular)

SLOP2 - 0 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 84 (+3), 8 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular, 1 Fan Event)

Decided to do Secret Life of Pets too. Are children's films supposed to have horrendous pre-sales? Probably cause there are no premium screenings?

Regency AMC

Aladdin - 202 (+20), 8 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular)

Godzilla KOTM - 128 (+7), 10 screenings (3 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 3 Regular)

SLOP2 - 2 (+2), 5 screenings (2 3D, 3 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 108 (+8), 8 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular, 1 Fan Event)

Only Thursdays

Orange Park AMC

Aladdin - 141 (+6), 8 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 1 3D, 2 Regular, 1 Fan Event)

Godzilla KOTM - 108 (+4), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 1 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular)

Rocketman - 25 (N/A), 3 screenings (1 Dolby, 2 Regular

SLOP2 - 0 (0), 2 screenings (2 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 86 (+2), 8 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular, 1 Fan Event)

Decided to do Rocketman too cause why not? Dark Phoenix has slowed considerably. Aladdin is doing ok. Godzilla is still chugging along. Hopefully it gets a bump from the premier. SLOP2 is still dead.

Regency AMC

Aladdin - 221 (+19), 8 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular)

Godzilla KOTM - 137 (+9), 10 screenings (3 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 3 Regular)

Rocketman - 18 (N/A), 3 screenings (1 Dolby, 2 Regular)

SLOP2 - 4 (+2), 5 screenings (2 3D, 3 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 108 (0), 8 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 Dolby, 2 3D, 2 Regular, 1 Fan Event)

Added the smaller theater in my area too. 

Epic Theatres at Oakleaf

Aladdin - 55, 2 screenings (2 Regular)

Godzilla KOTM - 16, 3 screenings (3 Epic XL)

Rocketman - 0, 2 screenings (2 Regular)

SLOP2 - 4, 3 screenings (3 Regular)

Dark Phoenix - 0, 2 screenings (2 Regular)

Edited by McClintonforThree
More info.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Aladdin (4 Days before previews, 5 before release)

5/23/19

North Shore Cinema

Mequon, WI

6:00 - 31/301

9:30 - 13/301

Comparisons:

57% ahead of Pikachu ($85.6M OW)

76% ahead of Hotel 3 ($77.4M OW)

100% ahead of Coco ($101.6M OW/$150M 5 Day (so maybe $125M 4 Day)

It really pains me to say this but Aladdin is doing great here. Personally I like the Pikachu comparisons the best as I feel Coco and Hotel 3 was more younger skewing, but I think $90M-$120M 4 Day seems right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Godzilla: King of The Monsters 

5/30/19 (9 before previews, 10 before release)

North Shore Cinema 

Mequon, WI

4:00 - 4/301

7:15 - 34/301

10:30 - 3/301

58% ahead of Pikachu ($85.9M OW)

24% ahead of Venom ($99.3M OW)

52% behind Ant Man and The Wasp ($36.6M OW)

Barring that Ant Man comparison, this is very good. Can see $55M-$70M OW.

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2