grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I don’t really get why people are expecting Pets 2 to do poorly, while somehow being all high on Frozen 2? Granted Frozen 2 will do great...but it’s yet another year in this decade where a Disney/Pixar wins both on the DOM & WW-front when it comes to animated films. It’s rarely another animation studio....always Disney.

The first SLoP had amazing marketing and good novelty. The sequel doesn't have a unique hook and is giving more of the same with not a big enough gap from the original for any nostalgia to kick in. Frozen on the other hand had to build its audience overtime and grew to become the phenomenon that it is. It's never left the public consciousness and the first teaser of Frozen 2 really hit well with people. Plus Frozen 2 has far less competition than SLoP 2.

Anyways Illumination can definitely go toe to toe with most Pixar or Disney Animation Films. The Despicable Me franchise is one of the most popular franchises in general let alone animated. More competition could have happened had DreamWorks not overstretched themselves back in the early 2010s with 3 Films a year which led to their decline.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tinalera said:

Regarding animation...i thought i read somewhere after TS4 Disney said theyre going back to original projects (I cannot see them giving up on Frozen though) and getting away from sequels (at least in animation).

I Wonder if its diminishing returns on merchandise ( though supposedly cars still has huge merch sales). I know on the theme park front they opened Toy Story land to an okay response. Big push now in theme parks for them is Marvel Star Wars and Avatar. Which they have obviously lots of movies coming. I guess between those properties and the push for Live action/realistic remakes animation has to fit somewhere. Maybe the hope for another Frozen type smash

I doubt Disney is shifting back to original properties out of the kindness of its heart. Creating new beloved IPs is better in the long-run. They can only milk so much from their current properties. They need to find new successes, not just rely on their old ones (which is why we have the annual Disney live-action flop).

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Tentatek said:

I really hope Mario stays away from the type of humor illumination usually does. I don’t find that kind of humor humorous.

More heartfelt and charm like Pikachu please.. less cheap and slapstick. 

I really wished DW’s Dragon-films did made the money that Illumination’s DM-films did.

The HTTYD-franchise are more mature & story-driven, that they take the family audience seriously. Yeah...there’s humor in there, but they are more charming and subtle. And the quality of those movies are in a very, very tall order.

I do hope in the future that animated films/franchises for families, with strong stories, mature themes, likeable charms and with a 4-quadrant appeal, makes huge blockbuster-money. That’s why films like Pixar’s TS3, TI2 & FD were such huge $1B-grossers.

Yeah, overly slapsticky animated movies are fine...but we do need other types of animated films doing monumental numbers.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

14 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

I don’t really get why people are expecting Pets 2 to do poorly, while somehow being all high on Frozen 2? Granted Frozen 2 will do great...but it’s yet another year in this decade where a Disney/Pixar wins both on the DOM & WW-front when it comes to animated films. It’s rarely another animation studio....always Disney.

Lack of big movies in November, Disney doesn’t have to juggle three major films, the fact that both trailer views are good and the lack of big blockbusters for all ages since TLK.

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

The first SLoP had amazing marketing and good novelty. The sequel doesn't have a unique hook and is giving more of the same with not a big enough gap from the original for any nostalgia to kick in. Frozen on the other hand had to build its audience overtime and grew to become the phenomenon that it is. It's never left the public consciousness and the first teaser of Frozen 2 really hit well with people. Plus Frozen 2 has far less competition than SLoP 2.

Anyways Illumination can definitely go toe to toe with most Pixar or Disney Animation Films. The Despicable Me franchise is one of the most popular franchises in general let alone animated. More competition could have happened had DreamWorks not overstretched themselves back in the early 2010s with 3 Films a year which led to their decline.

True. Though we had to keep in mind: What’s the highest grossing animated film WW?: Frozen. What other animated movie might top that?: Yup, Frozen again with the sequel.

I would prefer if the new animated WW-records aren’t constantly Frozen-related. 🤨

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Lack of big movies in November, Disney doesn’t have to juggle three major films, the fact that both trailer views are good and the lack of big blockbusters for all ages since TLK.

Plus, it's Frozen II. Movie was always gonna be met with high awareness given how much of a pop culture phenomenon the first was.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

Their upcoming slate is Minions 2, Sing 2, and Despicable Me 4 in that order, right? The former two should see similar decreases to SLoP2. Despicable Me 4 should do pretty well, though. Mario is also a potential new heavy-hitting franchise for Illumination.

Minions 2 I have no doubt is going sub $200M. DM3 was more or less DM4 for the GA. Sing 2 I thought had the potential to pull a DM2 jump as legs were great but I wonder if the 5 year jump will hurt rather than help. DM4 will happen eventually.

Mario I can easily seeing it being a $400M/$1B grosser if good and there’s a lot of elbow room franchise wise. They could do a Mario Universe. They also have a Pharrell Williams musical as well.

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Plus, it's Frozen II. Movie was always gonna be met with high awareness given how much of a pop culture phenomenon the first was.

I know, I was just leaving out the obvious.

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Minions 2 I have no doubt is going sub $200M. DM3 was more or less DM4 for the GA. Sing 2 I thought had the potential to pull a DM2 jump as legs were great but I wonder if the 5 year jump will hurt rather than help. DM4 will happen eventually.

Mario I can easily seeing it being a $400M/$1B grosser if good and there’s a lot of elbow room franchise wise. They could do a Mario Universe. They also have a Pharrell Williams musical as well.

I forgot about the Pharrell musical. That should do well. Illumination's recent new IP debuts have been pretty successful.

It's only one theater, but Toy Story 4 showtimes are popping up (previews start at 6...I think. The showtime listed is 5:55, but it's probably going to be 6), but not for sale. Considering Disney's recent pattern when it comes to presale windows, we're probably getting tickets on sale the day after Aladdin's weekend.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The first SLOP is the definition of unmemorable movie, there's not anyone asking for a sequel (except maybe for the younger audiences), I wouldn't be surprised if it drops $150m+ on its total. The first movie appealed to a lot of persons that are not part of the family group, that's why it managed to broke out so big, and these persons aren't coming back for the sequel, imo. 

14 hours ago, Mulder said:

Final count of today, only Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-125 (+2), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular)

Aladdin-119 (+9), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening) Final week

Dark Phoenix-64 (+2), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Slow day for KoTM and Dark Phoenix. I'll save my thoughts for Aladdin once I can comp it with Wick but...mmm. 

First count of today, only Thursdays-

Godzilla: KoTM-129 (+4), 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular)

Aladdin-119, 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening) Final Week

Dark Phoenix-70 (+6), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Good for KoTM and Phoenix. Aladdin though.................

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

On 5/13/2019 at 3:05 PM, Mulder said:

Godzilla: KoTM-87, 8 screenings (3 IMAX, 3 3D, 2 Regular)

Aladdin-84 (+3), 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

John Wick-139 (+3), 4 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Regular) Final Week

Dark Phoenix-9 (+9), 6 screenings (1 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Dark Phoenix seems pretty muted so far at my theater as I expected. We'll see if it picks up later. Aladdin got a bit of a boost and John Wick's proceeding nicely if a bit slower then I'd expect from the final Monday, but I'll say more once I see how it ends today.

On 5/5/2019 at 3:01 PM, Mulder said:

Aladdin-67, 7 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 3D, 2 Regular+Fan Screening)

Detective Pikachu-136 (+10), 6 screenings (3 3D, 3 Regular) Final Week

John Wick-81 (+6), 4 screenings (2 IMAX, 2 Regular)

Holy fuck this Pikachu increase. :ohmygod: Also John Wick continues to show really good signs of breaking out.

This is just getting worse for Aladdin every day honestly. Either my theater's a major outlier or there's something legitimately wrong here.

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

What did Wick finish with at your theater?

Just now, Brainbug said:

What did Wick finish with at your theater?

Wick finished at 220 something iirc. Pikachu finished at 230 something. Rn unless Aladdin picks up the pace massively tonight and the next two days it might not even hit that at my theater.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Minnale101 said:

Aladdin doing pretty damn good on movie tickets 

I think the movie will pre sale heavy in Sunday night and Monday 

that’s probably why the lower the usual premiere sales 

That didn't help Solo out. Like keep in mind Solo also had a 100 million four day.

Just to further confuse the issue:

Fandango Sales Past 24 13 Hours
Since: 2019-05-19 13:00:00 (US/Central - Chicago)

RANK	PERCENT	TICKETS	MOVIE
1	37.043%	6721	John Wick Chapter 3 – Parabellum
2	14.286%	2592	Avengers Endgame (2019) [+182]
3	13.090%	2375	Aladdin (2019)
4	08.614%	1563	Pokémon Detective Pikachu
5	02.574%	467	Aladdin
6	02.491%	452	A Dogs Journey
7	02.166%	393	The Hustle (2019)
8	01.565%	284	Long Shot
9	01.538%	279	Poms
10	01.450%	263	Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019) [+139]

Aladdin is currently #2 on Fandango (the 24 hour tracker reset overnight, so it's only the last 13 hours), just ahead of EG for the day, by about 60 sets of tickets.

Being #2 on the list is a relative thing.  Being more or less in the ballpark of EG is more quantifiable in how it's actually doing overall, while realizing it won't capture walkups today.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

That didn't help Solo out. Like keep in mind Solo also had a 100 million four day.

I mean if Aladdin gets 100 million four weekend. I would consider it a success for sure 

I do wonder what the budget is. Probably not the 170 million of dumbo.

The cgi and sets of Aladdin looks very cheap 

• Like 1