grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

2 minutes ago, Eternal Legion said:

Okay but seriously, is 6.5*11 outlandish? Not really. I would not say so. If the marketing clicks with the GA it should really outperform most of the sort of releases we have to use as comps.

Let's see. A nostalgia-heavy movie could be pretty presale-heavy. How welcoming would this be to Ghostbuster-indifferent audiences? 

Edited by Menor

5 minutes ago, Menor said:

Let's see. A nostalgia-heavy movie could be pretty presale-heavy. How welcoming would this be to Ghostbuster-indifferent audiences? 

Yeah, I mean, the conditional clause in my final sentence is pretty key. I would not be shocked with 4.5*10 or whatever either.

18 minutes ago, Menor said:

I think I'm a bit more skeptical about G:A than Eric (Sacto's numbers influencing me a bit here), but look at Free Guy and to a degree Let There Be Carnage Fun Is In right now.  If G:A is a fun time, WOM could spread pretty quickly. 

And it's not like the original Ghostbusters is some niche property.  I think via sheer cultural osmosis it stands right up there in the pantheon of Modern Classics.  Do agree that the fight* over GB 2016 casts a pretty long shadow, but if WOM spreads that could be set aside rather quickly even without the original stars

* Yes, I said the "fight over GB 2016 casts a pretty long shadow" as opposed to "GB 2016 casts a pretty long shadow" and I meant it, as I think all of the fussing and feuding over that film is far bigger of a "problem" than whatever one thinks of GB 2016 itself.

That being said, let's firm up 5m in previews first before we get too far down these tracks.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Eric loves Ajak said:

And people today were really saying this was gonna bomb and do like 30M or whatever.

Calm yourself man lol. FWIW looking around it's doing well near where I am but with the catch (there's always a catch) that most of the sales are for PLF/IMAX auditoriums. The "see it on the biggest screen possible or don't show up at all" mindset is real y'all.

21 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think I'm a bit more skeptical about G:A than Eric (Sacto's numbers influencing me a bit here), but look at Free Guy and to a degree Let There Be Carnage Fun Is In right now.  If G:A is a fun time, WOM could spread pretty quickly. 

And it's not like the original Ghostbusters is some niche property.  I think via sheer cultural osmosis it stands right up there in the pantheon of Modern Classics.  Do agree that the fight* over GB 2016 casts a pretty long shadow, but if WOM spreads that could be set aside rather quickly even without the original stars

* Yes, I said the "fight over GB 2016 casts a pretty long shadow" as opposed to "GB 2016 casts a pretty long shadow" and I meant it, as I think all of the fussing and feuding over that film is far bigger of a "problem" than whatever one thinks of GB 2016 itself.

That being said, let's firm up 5m in previews first before we get too far down these tracks.

GB strikes me as a smaller scale version of what happened with the Terminator and Alien franchises: GB84 is beloved by many (as is T1/T2 and Alien/Aliens), but that’s inextricably linked to the originals and what was brought by the original creative team. While it’s certainly got a significant presence in fandom, no one’s really been able to crack the code to generate an extremely popular NEW version. Is it impossible? Of course not. But as with Terminator and Aliens, the odds seem like they’re against it.

(Now that I think about it, this applies to the Predator and RoboCop franchises too.)

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

GB strikes me as a smaller scale version of what happened with the Terminator and Alien franchises: GB84 is beloved by many (as is T1/T2 and Alien/Aliens), but that’s inextricably linked to the originals and what was brought by the original creative team. While it’s certainly got a significant presence in fandom, no one’s really been able to crack the code to generate an extremely popular NEW version. Is it impossible? Of course not. But as with Terminator and Aliens, the odds seem like they’re against it.

(Now that I think about it, this applies to the Predator and RoboCop franchises too.)

Well, the bar for current success I'm using here is Free Guy, so it's not like I'm saying that it's gonna be super popular.  "Popular enough" I suppose is what I was more going for, as you're quite right about "cracking the code".  Something the originals found out to their dismay with the original sequel to GB.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Honestly, looking back, a lot of the top hits of the 80s were definitely products of their time that wouldn't have anywhere close to the same luck in today's box office. Rain Man, the biggest movie of 1988? Good luck even cracking the top 30, or coming to theaters at all, now (nevermind the fact Rain Man itself is mostly considered a dated relic today).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly, looking back, a lot of the top hits of the 80s were definitely products of their time that wouldn't have anywhere close to the same luck in today's box office. Rain Man, the biggest movie of 1988? Good luck even cracking the top 30, or coming to theaters at all, now (nevermind the fact Rain Man itself is mostly considered a dated relic today).

Granted (and that’s a bummer too), but at least these properties in question have sci-fi/action/fantasy hooks that still relate to modern tentpoles. 

On 11/6/2021 at 11:37 PM, Porthos said:

Ghostbusters: Afterlife Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-12 Days and Counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

2.40%

Total Seats Sold Today

T-12 Unadjusted Comp

%

Sold Day T-12

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

TSS

0/81

13601/13952

2.52%

4.68m

SC

0/101

15853/17002

6.76%

3.07m

V2

0/155

24799/25861

4.11%

4.38m

NTTD

0/135

20447/21259

3.82%

3.06m

PRE-SALE NOTE: The Suicide Squad's and Let There Be Carnage's tickets have been on sale for five more days than Ghostbusters: Afterlife's tickets have been on sale, while No Time to Die's tickets have been on sale for three more days.

T-12 Adjusted Comp

%

Sold T-12

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

F9

0/79

11394/12415

8.22%

2.80m

GA (adj)

---

0/94

14148/14535

2.66%

---

COMP NOTE: The F9 comp has been adjusted to reflect the return of Ontario theaters to the DOM market (what would be normally be the comp/0.955).

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: GA (adj) is the amount of seats sold that does not include the theaters which had unreliable data polluting their seat maps in this point in F9's track.

PRE-SALE NOTE: F9's tickets have been on sale for six more days than Ghostbusters: Afterlife's tickets have been on sale.

Regal:       98/5966 [1.64% sold] [+10 tickets]

Matinee:   29/1984 [1.46% | 7.23% of all tickets sold]

Ghostbusters: Afterlife Greater Sacramento Area Premiere Night Seat Report: T-11 Days and Counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Seats Sold

Perct Sold

TOTALS

16692*

2.58%

* NOTE:  A theater adjusted some its seat maps, resulting in three fewer seats available region wide.

Total Seats Sold Today

T-11 Unadjusted Comp

%

Sold Day T-11

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

TSS

0/81

13587/13952

2.62%

4.84m

SC

0/101

15781/17002

7.18%

3.11m

V2

0/156

24909/26078

4.48%

4.28m

NTTD

0/134

20340/21216

4.13%

3.05m

PRE-SALE NOTE: The Suicide Squad's and Let There Be Carnage's tickets have been on sale for five more days than Ghostbusters: Afterlife's tickets have been on sale, while No Time to Die's tickets have been on sale for three more days.

T-11 Adjusted Comp

%

Sold T-11

Total Sold

Sellouts/Shows

Seats Left/Total Seats

Perct Sold

Comp

F9

0/79

11335/12415

8.70%

2.84m

GA (adj)

---

0/94

14119/14532

2.84%

---

COMP NOTE: The F9 comp has been adjusted to reflect the return of Ontario theaters to the DOM market (what would be normally be the comp/0.955).

ADJUSTMENT NOTE: GA (adj) is the amount of seats sold that does not include the theaters which had unreliable data polluting their seat maps in this point in F9's track.

PRE-SALE NOTE: F9's tickets have been on sale for six more days than Ghostbusters: Afterlife's tickets have been on sale.

Regal:     106/5966 [1.78% sold] [+8 tickets]

Matinee:   29/1984 [1.46% | 7.23% of all tickets sold]

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, filmlover said:

Calm yourself man lol. FWIW looking around it's doing well near where I am but with the catch (there's always a catch) that most of the sales are for PLF/IMAX auditoriums. The "see it on the biggest screen possible or don't show up at all" mindset is real y'all.

Well that's true with every movie coming out this year. Venom did 90M and the PLFs still represented like 64% of its gross. There's definitely some concerning stuff over people exclusively going towards PLFs, but it really doesn't matter for openings.

And honestly I'm not even expecting anything that huge because Inception and Porthos' data is a lot less potent. Right now I'm thinking about an opening on par, maybe slightly higher, than the Feig movie. And honestly, that's really good. Not just for the pandemic standards (top 10 opening of the year, Spider-Man probs the only movie that will even sniff a 3-Day that high), but the film is likely cheaper than the Feig movie, so it'll be fine on that end.

I know there's issues with selling the movie OS, but that's not what we're talking about here. Honestly I just think people's pessimism on the movie is because they want it to tank rather than feeling the data truly points negative. And trust me, I understand why from a "fuck the manbabies" perspective and all the other toxic implications surrounding the movie (for the record, we're leaving it at that, because I really don't want to deal with the infighting, so don't respond back with any of that today)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

Day Movie Area Theaters Shows Total Seats Total Sold New Sales % Sold
T-10 Ghostbusters (Wed) Jacksonville 2 2 558 4 2 0.72%
  Ghostbusters (Wed) Total   2 2 558 4 2 0.72%
T-11 Ghostbusters Jacksonville 7 58 9,824 115 9 1.17%
    Phoenix 6 27 4,640 179 10 3.86%
    Raleigh 8 29 4,104 142 2 3.46%
  Ghostbusters Total   21 114 18,568 436 21 2.35%
T-2 Clifford (Tues) Jacksonville 4 23 2,734 0 0 0.00%
    Phoenix 5 19 2,492 36 36 1.44%
    Raleigh 6 16 1,796 17 17 0.95%
  Clifford (Tues) Total   15 58 7,022 53 53 0.75%
T-4 Belfast Jacksonville 3 5 412 9 9 2.18%
    Phoenix 2 2 182 5 5 2.75%
    Raleigh 1 1 73 5 5 6.85%
  Belfast Total   6 8 667 19 19 2.85%

I'm not sure what to make of Clifford.  It's two tickets ahead of Addams Family previews at T-2 (550k) but these are also discounted Tuesday tickets and a full day.  We should have a good idea of how its weekend will go by Friday either way.  Belfast has actually sold tickets in all six of the theaters in these locations; I feel like this one will have a pretty limited target audience, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Ghostbusters comps

TSS - 1.48x (6.08m)

NTTD - .958x (4.98m)

Dune - .75x (3.82m)

Day Movie Area Theaters Shows Total Seats Total Sold New Sales % Sold
T-1 Clifford (Tues) Jacksonville 4 23 2,734 0 0 0.00%
    Phoenix 5 19 2,492 39 3 1.57%
    Raleigh 6 16 1,796 20 3 1.11%
  Clifford (Tues) Total   15 58 7,022 59 6 0.84%
T-10 Ghostbusters Jacksonville 7 58 9,824 123 8 1.25%
    Phoenix 6 27 4,640 197 18 4.25%
    Raleigh 8 29 4,104 153 11 3.73%
  Ghostbusters Total   21 114 18,568 473 37 2.55%
T-3 Belfast Jacksonville 3 5 412 8 -1 1.94%
    Phoenix 2 2 182 7 2 3.85%
    Raleigh 1 1 73 8 3 10.96%
  Belfast Total   6 8 667 23 4 3.45%
T-9 Ghostbusters (Wed) Jacksonville 2 2 558 4 0 0.72%
  Ghostbusters (Wed) Total   2 2 558 4 0 0.72%

Ghostbusters comps

TSS - 1.566x (6.42m)

NTTD - 1x (5.2m)

Dune - .73x (3.73m)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Clifford, counted today at 10am EST for Wednesday, November 10:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 26 (5 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
14 (3 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18):
4 (2 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 8 (1 showtime)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 2 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16):
1 (3 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 20 (7 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 75.

Comps: Dolittle (21.8M OW) had on Wednesday for Friday (= also 2 days left) 240 sold tickets in 7 theaters (and 143 on Monday for Friday)

and Boss Baby 2 (16.0M OW) had on Wednesday for Friday 140 sold tickets in 6 theaters (and 58 on Monday for Friday).
Friday is for sure a more popular day and I guess a 1:1 comparison doesn't make much sense. Still, 75 sold tickets so far isn't overwhelming I guess. OTOH if the WOM is good, the weekend sales could look better.

Belfast has so far only showtimes in 2 of my theaters, in Miami and LA, and 5 sold tickets for Friday. E.g. The Card Counter had on the same day 23 sold tickets but had showtimes in 3 theaters and most sold tickets came from the AMC in San Francisco.

G:A, counted today at 10am EST for Friday, November 19, 11 days to go:

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 65 (9 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24):
9 (3 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18):
13 (2 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 12 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 10 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16):
83 (8 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 42 (9 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 234.

Comps: NTTD had 1 day later, on Tuesday (= 10 days before the release) 944 sold tickets (by the way NTTD had 48 showtimes in sum and G:A has at the moment 36 so at least too few showtimes won't be the problem),
TSS had
4 days later, on Friday, 714 sold tickets
and
Terminator: Dark Fate had back then 3 days later, on Thursday, 811 sold tickets.

No comp today is really fitting; next week I will have better ones. And probably it's not fair to compare the sales of this film to those of the long-awaited Bond movie. But that its sales will be under those of TSS on Friday, a movie which also had good reviews but a rather unpopular predecessor (I know here the 2016 film reception shouldn't count but it still could be that fans wait for more audience reactions before they plan to see it) is a bit surprising to me.
I'm sorry that I don't have better news today but no reason to worry. My report clearly is the outlier here and the jumps in the last week are way more important in my theaters.

Edit: Forget what I said (at least partly): I checked its Thursday sales a few minutes ago and they are way better: 679 sold tickets for Thursday (e.g. T6 had 575 on Thursday = 3 days left for G:A to increase the lead).

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Porthos said:

Well, the bar for current success I'm using here is Free Guy, so it's not like I'm saying that it's gonna be super popular.  "Popular enough" I suppose is what I was more going for, as you're quite right about "cracking the code".  Something the originals found out to their dismay with the original sequel to GB.

The "cracking the code" is an interesting point. Going back to movies in the 80's, where you were relying on Siskel/Ebert, newspaper critics, and at most trailers to see a movie, and those results were in newspapers which were at day old news wise. So films pretty much had to go on word of mouth otherwise. We didn't have a world where leaks of footage or from people seeing extra extra early previews would be out there.

I think with todays era of information (absurd amount), critics, video blogs/podcasts, leaks, people commenting on extra early previews, discussion boards. So much data, so much info that people will base it on, and base on previous comparable movies with all that same data. 

Its really imo impossible to go into a movie blind anymore. Because even when see a movie, we aren't just talking about it with our friend/peer group-we are discussing it with thousands upon thousands of people on social media. I won't even get into the streaming part of it all, which is a whole other kettle of fish. So studios trying to "crack the code"-imo there IS no code (though props to Marvel/Disney for essentially assisting in

recreating the "event movie" idea. Because every movie that comes out now that all that said data and information and decision making based on it, and it shifts so rapidly, and who knows now anymore what makes a movie a "success" or a "failure" because it almost feels like its never the same circumstance twice. Its is own, constantly changing almost organism lol.

Anyway, sorry for wall of text, but its just something Ive been thinking for a while now :)

• Like 2

Clifford the Big Red Dog

Toronto Ontario

Taken Mon Nov 8 for Wed Nov 10 previews.

Total theatres 9

total shows 39

Total sold 22

total remaining 8776

total seats (sold plus remaining) 8798

percentage .25 (no I don't think that point is misplaced)

Ummmm....

I don't want to jump to conclusions-but do Ontario schools have a holiday on Nov 11 for rememberance day? Because Im scratching my head otherwise who thought putting a kids movie preview on a WEDNESDAY was a good idea? And we aren't even talking prolly preteens, we are talking like maybe up to 9 or 10 years old? 

I dont understand it. Ill have to see what thursday/friday number are, but IMO this is not a real good look.

EDIT: Almost all shows have "late" (for kids" 930, 10pm) start times., As I said there are some noon and 3pm shows, but wouldn't kids be in school? Unless theyre aiming for "school trip" packages? 

Edited by Tinalera
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

Ghostbusters Afterlife Thursday Showings Denver

AMC Westminster 24

Total 90 1660 5.42%

AMC Highlands Ranch 24

Total 80 1937 4.13%

SEATS SOLD SOLD PAST 2 DAYS TOTAL SEATS PERCENT SOLD THEATERS SHOWINGS
371 45 16293 2.28% 15 83

AMCs sold 313
Cinemarks sold 25