grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

5 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

Disney is the most powerful studio atm and they are going to save the BO in December. They'll provide a lot of damage control for all the flops in Summer and early Fall. It makes sense that Disney will try to leverage their great situation with SW. Might as well capitalize on the highest grossing movie of the year (by default). But I had no clue about the stuff you mentioned. Damn, that's brutal. Not cool Disney. Not cool at all.

Yeah, but they forget the rule - what goes around comes around...

They've had really down periods themselves and post Star Wars 9/Avengers 4, they might find that these hardline acts now come to bite them in the behind when their next set of movies don't have the wild fan bases that these do...Two can play hardball when positions reverse...

• Like 1

It seems like Disney is only blocking passes for certain movies. For example, I just got our Thor tickets for Friday night because no passes were allowed, but the same theater just began selling tickets for Coco and they appear to be allowing passes for it.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Difference is that most of these rules are not just in place for Star Wars, but pretty much every Disney movie.

I remember having to play Queen of Katwe to empty auditoriums for 2 weeks back when we got it as a filler. Filler's are usually one week shows, that are usually split with something else. Not with Disney.

Don't most studio wide releases have a 2 week contract?  There are tons of bombs and duds of other movies  that don't drop theaters until the 3rd w/e 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

They've had really down periods themselves and post Star Wars 9/Avengers 4, they might find that these hardline acts now come to bite them in the behind when their next set of movies don't have the wild fan bases that these do...Two can play hardball when positions reverse...

Yeah, 2019 will see the culmination of Avengers and it'll also mark the end of the new SW trilogy. Plus all the big live-action remakes of their animation catalogue will be done and dusted by the end of 2019. They'll probably see a drop after that. But I'm sure they have some plans for the post-2019 marketplace. They are really big, they'll find a way.

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

How will it bite them in the behind?  They'll just be where other studios are - getting 50-55% for all their movies.

It's not as if WB's preferential contract with IMAX hasn't bit IMAX in the ass several times and hurt other big films that can't get a screen even when they're formatted for IMAX.

Meanwhile, I think Universal and WB are having exhibitor issues in Mexico right now because of terms

This contract though is really unfair for small towns that don't have the population to sustain a 4 week run.  But I think Lucas Films has done this before - haven't they?

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It seems like Disney is only blocking passes for certain movies. For example, I just got our Thor tickets for Friday night because no passes were allowed, but the same theater just began selling tickets for Coco and they appear to be allowing passes for it.

Don't all studios do that for certain blockbusters? 

17 minutes ago, MaxAggressor said:

Before exhibitors can begin screening “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” this December, they must first commit to a set of top-secret terms that numerous theater owners say are the most onerous they’ve ever seen.

Love those articles, top secret term that are lay down just below........

They did try to push bigger BO share in many market for their biggest title, didn't always worked:

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/131464-german-disney-boycott-threatens-tinkerbell-pixar-star-wars-next.html

Same case of the deal can be good in big cities where Disney spent a lot on billboard, bus, local radio ads, etc... but in small one, not that good of a deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's not as if WB's preferential contract with IMAX hasn't bit IMAX in the ass several times and hurt other big films that can't get a screen even when they're formatted for IMAX.

Which ones are you talking about?? I know most of Nolan's films get an extended IMAX stay but what other films from WB get that kind of privilege?? Also I don't know if there is any contractual obligation for IMAX to screen WB movies for an extended period of time so can you provide a link or any source for that??

Are you talking about this http://deadline.com/2016/10/warner-bros-agrees-offer-12-new-films-imax-1201838952/

If you're talking about that deal, isn't it pretty much par for the course for any major studio with big releases?? The IMAX CEO seemed happy with the deal.

If you're talking about the bombs like 'Pan', 'In the heart of the Sea' or 'King Arthur', then yes they didn't do diddly squat and IMAX didn't make bank from those titles but WB didn't exert any pressure on IMAX to show them in the premium screens or keep them for a sustained period of time, did they?? They were just part of a simple deal already in place. Were those bombs a big deal so much so that IMAX will feel cheated by WB?? Did those movies prevent other big releases around the same time from getting shown in the premium screens?? I'm curious.

Edited by MaxAggressor

48 minutes ago, filmlover said:

All major studio releases are contracted to be shown for two weeks so I don't know how they would've gotten it as a "filler" title.

When a movie has been released for more than a month (I can remember the exact number of days I'm not sure if it varies for different chains) but they are allowed to be kept for a single week.

My theater's first showing for Bad Moms 2 starts in a half-hour, so this is what the Wednesday looks like at the moment. I'll do the other days, as well as all the other movies I look at tickets for later.

Bad Moms 2 1:30 7 113 6.19%
Bad Moms 2 4:30 4 113 3.54%
Bad Moms 2 7:20 66 113 58.41%
Bad Moms 2 10:20 0 113  
Bad Moms 2 Total 77 452 17.04%

On 10/24/2017 at 4:36 PM, WrathOfHan said:

American Made and The LEGO Ninjago Movie are gone.

Jigsaw: 4 (Average)

Suburbicon: 4 (Average)
Thank You for Your Service: 4 (Biggest)

The Foreigner: 4 (Flat; Average)

Geostorm: 4 (2 2D/2 3D; Flat; Average)

Happy Death Day: 4 (Flat; Average)

The Mountain Between Us: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

Only the Brave: 4 (Flat; Average)

Same Kind of Different as Me: 4 (Flat; 4th Smallest)

The Snowman: 4 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween: 4 (Flat; 2nd Biggest)

Blade Runner 2049: 2 (Down 2; 2nd Smallest)

It: 1 (Down 3; 2nd Smallest)

During the weekend, Jigsaw has two screens with it getting the two biggest auditoriums from Madea and Thank You at night.

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Blade Runner 2049, It (these two actually left today for Bad Moms), The Mountain Between Us, Same Kind of Different as Me, and The Snowman are gone.

Thor: Ragnarok: 10 (5 2D/5 3D; Biggest, 2nd Biggest, and Average)

A Bad Moms Christmas: 4 (Average)

Jigsaw: 5 (Flat; Average)

Geostorm: 4 (Flat and lost 3D; 4th Smallest)

The Foreigner: 4 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

Happy Death Day: 4 (Flat; 2nd Smallest)

Only the Brave: 4 (Flat; Average)

Suburbicon: 4 (Flat; Smallest)

Thank You for Your Service: 4 (Flat; Average)

Tyler Perry's Boo 2! A Madea Halloween: 4 (Flat; Average)

During the weekend, Thor has 21 showings (10 2D/11 3D) across the two biggest and three average auditoriums at the expense of some OTB, Suburbicon, and Foreigner shows. Additionally, Bad Moms gets extra nighttime shows at the expense of Geostorm.

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

YIKES, Bad Moms is not doing well at all today here. The first show only sold 12 tickets, and there are only 18 tickets sold total across the next three shows.

What do people think it should make? I'd think 1-2M would be a good number for a Wednesday for this type of movie

9 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

Well, yeah. This is completely consistent with the sales reports Deep Wang has been providing. SMH picked up huge on Wednesday and Thursday, Thor's final number will depend on how closely it can also bump with respect to SMH.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Well, yeah. This is completely consistent with the sales reports Deep Wang has been providing. SMH picked up huge on Wednesday and Thursday, Thor's final number will depend on how closely it can also bump with respect to SMH.

When's our next update?

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Baywatch made 4.6M on its first day; that should be the goal IMO.

Baywatch made 1.25M from Wednesday previews starting at 7pm though so true Thursday only 3.3-3.4M.  That was during May as well so I think this will be much more weekend skewed.  If Bad Moms makes 25M in 5 days I would expect almost 20M to be weekend personally.