grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Tracking for the other releases this week (go to the RPO thread to discuss that :lol: ): http://deadline.com/2018/03/ready-player-one-steven-spielberg-tye-sherdian-global-box-office-preview-1202354201/

Acrimony: 10-15M

God's Not Dead: 4-6M

That would be a fucking terrible start for Acrimony and the lowest Tyler Perry opening in a long ass time. 10M could mean it barely goes over 20M.

Theres been like no advertising for this movie. Ive seen so many movies the past three months and NEVER saw a preview for this. Why not place this in front of black panther? It would seem like a logical decision. I only knew about this movie because I saw a billboard in LA. I would not be surprised if it bombed.

3 hours ago, YLF said:

Theres been like no advertising for this movie. Ive seen so many movies the past three months and NEVER saw a preview for this. Why not place this in front of black panther? It would seem like a logical decision. I only knew about this movie because I saw a billboard in LA. I would not be surprised if it bombed.

It got a final push just before the release (for a 2,000 theater release):

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/ready-player-one-tops-studios-tv-ad-spending-2-1202736488/

Good score on is 1,400 national airing.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/whRG/tyler-perrys-acrimony-movie-trailer

Not sure about the attaching trailer mechanic, but I would imagine that it would have been rather costly until recently to play it everywhere with BP and quite the different audience tent pole SH action movie and the Tyler Perry One you are paying to show your trailers to mostly people that would never see a small movie like this, specially not in theater.

I imagine that one very interesting aspect of that Perry with a big domestic star, they bring enough awareness that in that low 10 net budget you can do a really cheap release and still not loose money if the movie is a failure, they will still bring that 12-14m OW and make 2.5 time that budget domestic, proud mary did 10m without Pery name after all)

Edited by Barnack

58 minutes ago, YLF said:

I've only gotten the trailer at The Commuter and Red Sparrow, the former of which was because Lionsgate required it. It was attached with Boo 2!, so the film's target audience definitely has seen the trailer.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:11 PM, WrathOfHan said:

Game Night, Gringo, The Hurricane Heist, and Strangers: Prey at Night are gone.

Midnight Sun: 4 (Average)

Pacific Rim: Uprising: 4 (2 2D/2 3D; 2nd Biggest)

Paul, Apostle of Christ: 4 (Average)

Sherlock Gnomes: 4 (2 2D/2 3D; Average)

Unsane: 4 (2nd Smallest)

Black Panther: 4 (Down 1; 2 2D/2 3D; 4th Smallest)

I Can Only Imagine: 4 (Down 1; Biggest)

Love, Simon: 4 (Down 1; Smallest)

Tomb Raider: 4 (Down 1; 2 2D/2 3D; Average)

A Wrinkle in Time: 4 (Down 5 and lost 3D; Average)

Peter Rabbit: 3 (Flat; Average)

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle: 2 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

Red Sparrow: 2 (Down 3; 3rd Smallest)
Death Wish: 1 (Down 4; Average)

During the weekend, Pacific Rim and Sherlock Gnomes split the 2nd Biggest.

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Hide contents

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Death Wish, Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, Love, Simon, Red Sparrow, and Unsane are gone.

Ready Player One: 6 (1 2D/5 3D; 2nd Biggest and Average)

Acrimony: 4 (Average and 2nd Smallest)

God's Not Dead: A Light in Darkness: 4 (Average)

Black Panther: 4 (2 2D/2 3D; Flat; Average and 4th Smallest)

I Can Only Imagine: 4 (Flat; Biggest)

Pacific Rim: Uprising: 4 (2 2D/2 3D; Flat; Average and 4th Smallest)

Paul, Apostle of Christ: 4 (Flat; 3rd Smallest)

Sherlock Gnomes: 4 (Flat and lost 3D; Average and 2nd Smallest)

Tomb Raider: 4 (Flat and lost 3D; Average)

A Wrinkle in Time: 4 (Flat; Average)

Peter Rabbit: 3 (Flat; Smallest)

Midnight Sun: 1 (Down 3; Smallest)

Auditorium sizes for reference (all seats are recliners if you're wondering why they're small):  

Spoiler

Biggest: 124 seats

2nd Biggest: 113 seats

Average: 78 seats (6 auditoriums are this size)

4th Smallest: 69 seats

3rd Smallest: 67 seats

2nd Smallest: 63 seats

Smallest: 60 seats

Edited by WrathOfHan

LMFAO UNSANE DOESN'T HAVE A 2 WEEK CONTRACT :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: :hahaha: 

I'm shocked at how much 3D is getting pushed for RPO; there's only two 2D shows on the weekend (out of eight) and one during the week. Gotta milk some money, I guess.

Love, Simon isn't staying after all. Hm.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, YLF said:

I've seen tv ads for Acrimony. But during like Phineas And Ferb or The Simpsons since that's the only I ever play live. Weird targeting.

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

That would be a fucking terrible start for Acrimony and the lowest Tyler Perry opening in a long ass time. 10M could mean it barely goes over 20M.

In this day and age, anything over a couple of bucks would be a win for any movie.

Just now, Hiccup23 said:

I don't know why my theater is clinging to A Wrinkle in Time next weekend. Outside of today's showings it hasn't been selling well. 

Eh, it's still #6 at the box office. If it's still around next week, then it'll be questionable (same deal with my theater)

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eh, it's still #6 at the box office. If it's still around next week, then it'll be questionable (same deal with my theater)

Also probably because it is the only family film out besides Gnomes. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Brinatico said:

7.00 am ET 5min on pulse

RP1 90/5

PRU 50/5

Ready player selling very well at this point, look like a 50-60 (4) days 

10.00 PM ET 15 min on pulse

RP1 326/15

Really is selling very well.. 

A handful of theaters around me are doing a one showing a day double feature of Peter Rabbit and Jumanji this weekend.

Jumanji's last hurrah in theaters?

I can't imagine families sitting for 4 hours for a showing with both movies.

20 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

You know you can actually include the name of the person you're quoting to in the response, right?

24 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Peter Rabbit is only an hour and a half, but I'm surprised to learn Jumanji is just 1 minute under 2 hours. 

IW Greater Sacramento Area Seat Report: T-30 Days and counting

Sellouts

Showings

Seats left

Total Seats

Perct Sold

TOTALS

57.19%

Total Seats Sold:        52

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2