Dementeleus

What a WONDERful Weekend | WW down only 16% on Sunday. 103M weekend. pg 226

wonder-woman.png?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

The board is set, the pieces are moving. We come to it at last...

Let me tell you the story of Right Hand, Left Hand. It’s a tale of good and evil. Hate: it was with this hand that Cane iced his brother. Love: these five fingers, they go straight to the soul of man. The right hand: the hand of love. The story of life is this: static. One hand is always fighting the other hand, and the left hand is kicking much ass. I mean, it looks like the right hand, Love, is finished. But hold on, stop the presses, the right hand is coming back. Yeah, he got the left hand on the ropes, now, that’s right. Ooh, it’s a devastating right and Hate is hurt, he’s down. Left-Hand Hate KO’ed by Love.

“If you need to stop an asteroid, you call Superman. If you need to solve a mystery, you call Batman.

But if you need to end a war, you call Wonder Woman.”

—Gail Simone

The WONDER WOMAN movie is finally here. Will Jenkins & Gadot save the DCEU? Will they cause people to re-evaluate how they view the DC universe? Will it explode past all expectations at the box-office? Or will it just be another successful blockbuster? This is the thread to dive into all the excitement of the weekend -- crowd reports, posting tweets about lines at theaters, the early numbers from Deadline, and so on.

That being said, lets have fun but be careful. DO NOT POST SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD. NOT EVEN SPOILERS UNDER SPOILER TAGS. This weekend, posting a spoiler can result in an immediate Box Office Discussion Forum ban. You will not be given a warning. Basic impressions of the movie are allowed, as long as you don't go into specifics. If you wish to discuss the movie with spoilers, feel free to use the WONDER WOMAN Spoiler Thread HERE.

We're looking forward to a great weekend and we realize the over-excitement (or meltdowns) can cause the thread to go off topic. Keep the discussions to movies and all will be fine. If you'd rather talk about whether Lebron has enough left in the tank to stop the Golden State juggernaut, if you think the Penguins will win the Cup, if you're anxious about your girlfriend (or lack of girlfriend) or whether you can grow a beard or not, take all that stuff to the Classic Conversation thread.

The staff will update the thread title and first post with each update of numbers, as soon as we're able.  

Friday EARLY estimates (DHD, 12:20 PM):

2nd Update, 11:50PM: Midday figures show Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman is flying toward a $34M-$37.5M Friday, with a three-day projection of $85M on the low-end, and a potential shot at breaking into the low-to-mid $90M range. This is a similar B.O. sphere where Disney/Marvel’s Doctor Strange launched ($32.6M first day, $85M for the weekend) and Guardians of the Galaxy ($37.8M, $94.3M weekend), so a very healthy start for a new superhero franchise.

Also doing well is 20th Century Fox’s Captain Underpants with an estimated $7.5M per industry sources today and $23.5M at 3,434 venues, potentially slotting second.  Why so good? Because we hear that the movie cost under $30M (before P&A) as it was part of a new experimental animation model under the DWA umbrella.  Great reviews at 84% certainly help. Movie is based on the epic novels by Dav Pilkey, directed by David Soren and features the voices of Ed Helms, Kevin Hart, Nick Kroll, Thomas Middleditch, Jordan Peele, and Kristen Schaal.

Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales isn’t far behind with $6.3M today, and an estimated $22.5M in weekend two, -64% for a 10-day run of $115.5M. Disney/Marvel’s Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2 looks like $3M today, and a fifth weekend of $11.5M, -45% for an estimated running cume of $357.2M by Sunday. Paramount’s Baywatch swimming toward $2.3M today, and $7.5M in weekend two, -59% for a running domestic total by Sunday of $40.7M.

3rd Update Writethru, Friday 4:38PM: Late afternoon industry estimates show Warner Bros/DC and Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman rising to $38.5M today, and $95M+ for the weekend. That’s easily the best domestic opening for a female director, beating previous champ Fifty Shades of Grey directed by Sam Taylor-Johnson ($85.1M).  Some think Wonder Woman can tip $100M over three days; we’ll have a better idea later tonight. 

4th Update, 11:40PM:  After weathering lackluster critical scores and OK fan responses with last year’s Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and Suicide Squad, all is well and correct in the Warner Bros./DC universe as Wonder Woman is both a hit with critics (94% Certified Fresh Rotten Tomatoes) and audiences alike earning an A CinemaScore on top of her current $98Mopening.  Out of all the titles in the WB/DC canon, Wonder Woman owns one of five rare A grades along with  Batman, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. Saturday will determine if Wonder Woman propels past $100M, and a few believe it’s not out of the question.

• Like 20

If you need anything you call batman. He's batman for fuck sake.

If now WW do more than 120, I will be more shocked than before. No signs are pointing towards it, and when a film breakout in this manner, I feel so happy.

Still keeping expectation in check. $11 million preview, $96 million OW.

Any tracking on the opening shows yet?

my screening was about 2/3 full, which isn't really that uncommon for a mid-range blockbuster opening night. (think Logan was more full though)

Edited by Kalo

A+DqLN8aC5PZAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

I just made this spreadsheet. Some of these are hella skewed because holidays are annoying and they suck.

But with this I can give a range. It'll be between 65M and 182M.

Hope that clears things up.

• Like 21

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:
13 minutes ago, Tele Came Back said:

if you're anxious about your girlfriend (or lack of girlfriend)

I make no promises to abide by this.

And I make no promises not to ban you.... 

giphy.gif

• Like 18

And I'll also throw my post in here for posterity or laughs down the track.

AUD1,119,814 is the exact figure.  Using the multiplier of a few other films we get the following OW totals.

Pirates 5 - AUD6.625m

Kong - AUD7.5m

Logan - AUD6.5m

FB - AUD5.2m

DS - AUD5.66m

I'm going to be optimistic and say it falls between AUD6-6.5m.

For it to hit USD100m Domestic that would be a 15 times multiplier if it opens to AUD6.5 in Australia.

I suppose I'm going to have to have faith in the system and set a maximum.

AUD6.5m x 13 = USD84.5.

I'm calling a Domestic ceiling of USD85m.  I think it will fall between USD70-80m.

Is Wonder Woman the film that breaks the system?

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

A+DqLN8aC5PZAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

I just made this spreadsheet. Some of these are hella skewed because holidays are annoying and they suck.

But with this I can give a range. It'll be between 65M and 182M.

Hope that clears things up.

So the $182M projection is base off of the Ghost Rider multiplier of almost 150? 

Sounds about right. 

• Like 1

I went back and removed anything that had a holiday screwing it up. Average multi then is ~72. So I'd put the range from about 108 to 144, depending on how the NZ weekend goes. I've guestimated that it'll be around 1.5 to 2M. I'll make my OFFICIAL prediction for the dom weekend 129.6M.

• Like 1