John Marston

Thursday Numbers (June 22): TF5 8.1M, Cars 3 4.4M, WW 4M (Deadline)

I think the failures of many franchise entrys this and last summer (whether you liked these films or not) could be a clear sign to Hollywood that, unless the sequels and prequels and reboots are well made and offer new things and ideas, they are bound to fall flat. It could be the start to a new era of more original tentpoles and movies like Baby Driver will get more chances.

Spoiler

Or Hollywood doesnt get it. Thats more likely to happen.

• Like 3

Just now, Brainbug said:

I think the failures of many franchise entrys this and last summer (whether you liked these films or not) could be a clear sign to Hollywood that, unless the sequels and prequels and reboots are well made and offer new things and ideas, they are bound to fall flat. It could be the start to a new era of more original tentpoles and movies like Baby Driver will get more chances.

Hide contents

Or Hollywood doesnt get it. Thats more likely to happen.

They'll just point fingers and say Rotten Tomatoes took the movie down. Studios always seem to take away the wrong messages.

• Like 3

I hope because of POTC5 or TF5 folks don't become anti-sequel.

Yes, WONDR may be a greatly received original but whispers say Apes3 too could be equally well received.

Cars3 and good reception and DM3 buzz seems positive. So yay to good movies...sequels, originals, reboots, whatever.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, grim22 said:

No Johnny, why you want to commit (more) career suicide

The real crime here is that Johnny Depp is 54 years old, and still dresses like a remainders table from Hot Topic. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Eevin said:

This is just...god-awful. RIP Paramount. I don't think anybody could have predicted that TF5's 5-day would go under ROTF's opening day. For Christ's sake, we're looking at a possible $125m total. 

How are they gonna make the next 14 films profitable? 100% Chinese cast ? Shoot in Czech Republic?  

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They'll just point fingers and say Rotten Tomatoes took the movie down. Studios always seem to take away the wrong messages.

I'm still inwardly laughing at how everyone at Paramount involved with Baywatch blamed RT and said that audiences obviously really enjoyed it.  Yet its legs show no indication that audiences took to it at all.

They seem to make up their own story that allows them to keep doing what they're doing.  But then again, that may be why studios like Paramount are falling behind, they don't seem to care to be in touch with audiences.

Disney, for all the claims of its unoriginality, seems to be understanding what audiences want right now and are giving it to them.

Universal and Warner Bros are also doing pretty well too, but they also seem more willing to take creative risks. And creative risks are how you start large franchises and have large hits.  There aren't many large franchises right now that didn't begin with risk.

• Like 1

Just now, a2knet said:

I hope because of POTC5 or TF5 folks don't become anti-sequel.

Yes, WONDR may be a greatly received original but whispers say Apes3 too could be equally well received.

Cars3 and good reception and DM3 buzz seems positive. So yay to good movies...sequels, originals, reboots, whatever.

TBH Transformers, Pirates and to an extent Ice Age were coming off worse received previous films and I think TBH once you get to the fifth film and it's the same as before, you can't blame the audience for switching off. I think even Illumination who have hits after hit, needs to be careful not to overexpose the DM brand, I think Minions 2 if it's not well receive might do worse business and likewise with a potential Despicable Me 4. 

War will do very well even if it does less than Dawn, people will see a sequel if the previous films were good. 

DEADLINE

TF5

"Thursday wasn’t expected to be high for Paramount’s Transformers: The Last Knight at the domestic B.O., but the downer $8.1M day, off 48% from its $15.65M opening, doesn’t help the Hasbro pic’s five day opening."

CARS 3

"Disney/Pixar’s Cars 3 made $4.4M yesterday raising its week’s cume to $74.7M, off 10% from the first week of Cars which made $83.3M in seven days and ended its run at $244M."

WONDER WOMAN

"Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman grossed $4M in third at 4,018 for a running three week cume of $293.2M. "

http://deadline.com/2017/06/transformers-the-last-knight-opening-weekend-box-office-1202118976/

• Like 3

Just now, The Panda said:

Universal and Warner Bros are also doing pretty well too, but they also seem more willing to take creative risks. And creative risks are how you start large franchises and have large hits.  There aren't many large franchises right now that didn't begin with risk.

Universal and WB have their fair share of big tentpoles but then they do smaller films like Girls Trip, Annabelle Creation as well as more adult fare like The Snowman. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Panda said:

I'm still inwardly laughing at how everyone at Paramount involved with Baywatch blamed RT and said that audiences obviously really enjoyed it.  Yet its legs show no indication that audiences took to it at all.

They seem to make up their own story that allows them to keep doing what they're doing.  But then again, that may be why studios like Paramount are falling behind, they don't seem to care to be in touch with audiences.

Disney, for all the claims of its unoriginality, seems to be understanding what audiences want right now and are giving it to them.

Fox makes big budget movies aimed at older audiences too.

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

I am obsessed with the trailers I get but I also don't blab about the trailers I get every 5 seconds on this forum :).

sorry bud, you're on your own

:sadben: 

Blanks is my only hope.

Just now, zackzack said:

How are they gonna make the next 14 films profitable? 100% Chinese cast ? Shoot in Czech Republic?  

and shot back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to back to skimp on the budget.

3 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I don't think studios get wrong message. It's like gambling. When you have so much money on them, they prefer to go safe. Potc 5, tf5, mummy all are gonna make more money than valerian and baby driver at the end of the day.

Baby Driver isn't a large budget film, however.  I'm also not positive that The Mummy is going to net much more profit than it.

I also dont think Hollywood needs to stop franchise sequels, but they're getting inconsistent in their grosses.  They can't have more safe franchises if they don't take initiative to make them.  

Plus, audiences will grow tired of continued franchising.  We've seen more than enough sequels to big hits bomb to show studios are going to have a hard time relying solely on sequels in the long run.

2 minutes ago, BoilingHotCoffee said:

DEADLINE

TF5

"Thursday wasn’t expected to be high for Paramount’s Transformers: The Last Knight at the domestic B.O., but the downer $8.1M day, off 48% from its $15.65M opening, doesn’t help the Hasbro pic’s five day opening."

CARS 3

"Disney/Pixar’s Cars 3 made $4.4M yesterday raising its week’s cume to $74.7M, off 10% from the first week of Cars which made $83.3M in seven days and ended its run at $244M."

WONDER WOMAN

"Warner Bros./DC’s Wonder Woman grossed $4M in third at 4,018 for a running three week cume of $293.2M. "

http://deadline.com/2017/06/transformers-the-last-knight-opening-weekend-box-office-1202118976/

2 movies about cars have such a close gap in their release date, and aims to similar demo, no wonder both fells short 

18 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not sure if serious.

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Baby Driver isn't a large budget film, however.  I'm also not positive that The Mummy is going to net much more profit than it.

I also dont think Hollywood needs to stop franchise sequels, but they're getting inconsistent in their grosses.  They can't have more safe franchises if they don't take initiative to make them.  

Plus, audiences will grow tired of continued franchising.  We've seen more than enough sequels to big hits bomb to show studios are going to have a hard time relying solely on sequels in the long run.

It's not even a new thing, it happened with Superman IV and it happened with Batman and Robin. I'd argue even animated sequels aren't safe as Ice Age proved last year.

• Like 1