grim22

June 23-25 Weekend Thread | TF5 45M, Cars 3 24.0, Wonder Woman 24.9 (10th highest 4th weekend of all time and biggest 4th weekend of 2017)

I love how much pleasure all of you are getting at Transformers finally doing subpar numbers. It must have been so difficult and teeth grinding and nerve-wracking for all of you guys to see Transformers put up such massive numbers over the years even though you hated it so much. Well you finally have something that you can all rally around.

• Like 10

$90-100m seems about right for DM3, it's not got the buzz that SLOP and Minions had but it's not going to drop dramatically even though Minions wasn't well received. 

I wonder if they will be a fourth DM. I imagine even if the franchise wanes with Minions 2, the budgets are low enough to ensure another film. It's a bit concerning that they've only got 1 original film in the next 3 years and it's an adaptation, everything else is sequels

• Like 1

3 hours ago, narniadis said:

Our rough numbers on paper are very much the same... Would be interesting to see how close to missing 130m it gets and I definitely didn't expect that at the beginning of the summer season.

Whoever it is with the 130m prediction for BSG may be spot on... and most of us will lose points on it (as we have with most films so far this summer)

Seems like I should have not chickened out and played this summer game - although Baywatch would have torched me as my $200M #5 (and Rough Night was somewhere in my lower tier, which it won't make either)...at least I didn't have any other film breaking that $200M number except my top 4:)...now, I'd still need Spidey and DM3 to top the 2 big movies of the summer, but I'd be in play:)...I wish we could just play a top 15 domestic next year, b/c I think we'd get a ton of people in on just that - less work is always good for us old folks:)...

But I was wrong about one more big thing pre-summer - when totally expecting bombs of 5thquels and unnecessary sequels, I had aliens under pirates and pirates under robots, but I guess pirates might be more popular than robots...either that, or Disney just sells a movie better (probably that last thing)...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

$90-100m seems about right for DM3, it's not got the buzz that SLOP and Minions had but it's not going to drop dramatically even though Minions wasn't well received. 

I wonder if they will be a fourth DM. I imagine even if the franchise wanes with Minions 2, the budgets are low enough to ensure another film. It's a bit concerning that they've only got 1 original film in the next 3 years and it's an adaptation, everything else is sequels

Budget's low enough for 10 films.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Famous last words for this summer.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Or you can say they're an alien race of living machines who fight a sectarian civil war for millions of years with the military class machines trying to suck the Earth dry of energy and the worker/scientist class machines trying to protect it.

Try to get a synopsis like that from Pokemon or Spongebob.

47 minutes ago, YourMother said:

A 10 year old boy embarks on an epic journey to become potentially the world's most powerful person and making some cash along by training and controlling a plethora of mythical and dangerous monsters with unimaginable powers to take on the country's most powerful people while taking on an entire criminal gang controlled by a powerful political figure singlehanded.

A8cgEc7.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Does making the same as Minions count as an under estimation?

No. I think thats a respectable number.

But under 300 seems under estimating.

2 hours ago, The Panda said:

Why?  They're movies about talking robots that transform into cars, they should be aimed at children.

They shouldn't be R-Rated flicks for mature audiences.

Warning gore under the cut-

Spoiler

300px-RID27_Bumblebee_dies.jpg

250px-Transformersrid_17_cover_clean.jpg

overlord.jpg

Yeah transformers is just for kids. Yep. Totally. 

EDIT: I should clarify that I don't mind kid-focused transformers stuff like the upcoming Bumblebee movie at all. Same way I don't mind kid-focused Superhero or SW stuff. But to say either are solely for kids would be wrong, same with transformers. 

Edited by Mulder
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Biggestgeekever said:

Famous last words for this summer.

I don't think DM3 will drop badly. Annabelle not being as good as The Conjuring didn't affect The Conjuring 2 for example so Minions not being great won't affect DM3 too much, it's more likely to have an effect on Minions 2. 

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

I love how much pleasure all of you are getting at Transformers finally doing subpar numbers. It must have been so difficult and teeth grinding and nerve-wracking for all of you guys to see Transformers put up such massive numbers over the years even though you hated it so much. Well you finally have something that you can all rally around.

Back off the schadenfreude, Baumer!!! 

ce3F8iv.gif

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

No. I think thats a respectable number.

But under 300 seems under estimating.

It's going to drop from DM2 because that was a monster, it might do slightly less than Minions because the competition is much heavier with Spider-Man, Apes, Dunkirk etc the latter two won't affect it but Spider-Man will. 

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

I want to believe that your post is sarcasm, but something is telling me otherwise. 

24 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

New BOP predictions: http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-hitmans-bodyguard-logan-lucky/

Hitman's Bodyguard: 19/57

Logan Lucky: 12/39

Updates:

DM3: 98/290 (+14%/+4%)

Annabelle: 27/61 (+17%/+17%)

Baby Driver grossing $83,000,000 pretty much casts aspersions on those entire projections. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Telemachos said:
4 hours ago, YourMother said:

jazz-death-in-transformers-1003735.gif

Like Jazz, the Transformers franchise for now is dead.

Interestingly, that shot's a great example of why I get frustrated at some of the TF visuals. For sure, it's impressive, shows scale, and so forth, but the design and color of the Decepticon doesn't stand out from the background buildings. Your eye has to work a lot more to distinguish the various elements, and a lot is lost in the process.

Frankly, a lot of Bay's visuals are like this. Just too many layers, too many things. Bay even said in TF2 bluray director commentary that he likes to "add more shit" to a shot to "make it feel realistic". That's his understanding of how to make realistic-looking visuals. That of cause comes with a price of making the audience easily losing focus on what you really want them to see.

I'm not sure it's just Bay simply doesnt understands this, or he understands but goes "fuck it that's my style and I go with it."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I want to believe that your post is sarcasm, but something is telling me otherwise. 

Baby Driver grossing $83,000,000 pretty much casts aspersions on those entire projections. 

Off a predicted $15m opening w/e no less... a mere 5.5 multiplier.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PenguinHyphy said:

Why would my post be sarcastic?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's going to drop from DM2 because that was a monster, it might do slightly less than Minions because the competition is much heavier with Spider-Man, Apes, Dunkirk etc the latter two won't affect it but Spider-Man will. 

Nah, Spidey won't really affect DM3 much...Emoji movie is much likelier to be the true competitor to DM3 IF it's any good (if it's get the 16-18% from Rotten Tomatoes, stick a fork in Emoji and DM3 keeps rolling through Labor Day b/c the Nut Job 2 sure won't put up much competition).  

DM3 is making $300M+...it's probably the last installment that will do so, but the new hook will be enough to bring folks back in...will the reformed super-villain resume his villainous ways or stay on the straight and narrow...eight trillion comics have been sold with this concept over the years, but when have we really seen it on the big screen, especially when it involves a family member trying to drag them back down (Ant-Man is closest, but he was dragging himself down:)?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Moonlight was... "good" I guess. It's well made and the acting is great, but it just never delved deep enough into any one theme for it to have a lasting impact on me at all really.

It's not even 5% the movie La La Land is. First Mad Max losing to Spotlight and then this, don't know what kind of drinks they're serving the Academy members...

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

It's not even 5% the movie La La Land is. First Mad Max losing to Spotlight and then this, don't know what kind of drinks they're serving the Academy members...

Mad Max did not deserve the Oscar though

:ph34r: