CJohn

Weekend Thread 7/7-7/9 | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SMH 117M, DM3 34M, BD 12.5M, WW 10.1M, TF5 6.3M, Biggus Dickus 3.65

6 hours ago, DamienRoc said:

I mean that prior to release, the expectations for the film spiked to an absurd degree.

BoxOffice.com predicted a 215m OW. This was preceded by long range forecasts of 213/605, 200/550, 182/490, and 167/435. So in the final month before its release, their OW expectations went up $50m, and the total gross went up 170m.

And it's not just them!

BOM predicted 210, while saying, "When it comes to Captain America: Civil War the question as to whether it will hit $200 million or not seems to be of little dispute." and then noting, "The film also offers audiences their first look at Tom Holland as Sony's new Spider-Man". It was guaranteed to hit 200.

Even Guru, who tends to be quite conservative in his predictions, went for 185m. I don't know if there's an available way to see his predictions columns, though, because they aren't in his archive.

So it wasn't just MCU fanboys pumping it up. The hype was basically everywhere. This was the massive course correction from AoU. And it had Spider-Man! Finally in the MCU! It was going to go amazing. The thought was that a good Avengers film (regardless of the title) + Spider-Man = Avengers business, I guess.

It didn't work out like that. And I think in the past year the view on CACW has cooled quite a bit. I don't hear people regale me about how amazing tight the writing is, a sort of next level work in terms of cinematic storytelling. But at the time, I remember the reception, which was great, and the trailers, which were well received, ESPECIALLY that Spidey reveal, and the hype and the insistence that it was going to be huge.

And it was huge... just not "huge". Its legs were pretty lackluster for its opening. Not bad, but not great, either.

Which, honestly, makes me think about this weekend. Because SMH has the reviews, and the good trailers, and the hype, and the insistence that it was going to be huge. And it's huge. Just not "huge".

Stop making sense.

6 hours ago, Gopher said:

Marvel's gonna score five straight 100m openings in a row (Guardians 2 through Infinity War). Their brand is reaching the same level of goodwill they hit in 2014 I think. 

The Dceu will beat them to this milestone in November.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Gopher said:

Marvel's gonna score five straight 100m openings in a row (Guardians 2 through Infinity War). Their brand is reaching the same level of goodwill they hit in 2014 I think. 

I'm not convinced Black Panther is a guaranteed $100-mil opening, are you?  Here are my completely subjective odds for the next three MCU films cracking the $100-mil-OW:

Thor: Ragnarok: 75%

Black Panther: 50%

Infinity War: 100%

• Like 1

not to offend anyone in term of religion, but marvel vs dc was kind of looks like Christianity and Islam in cinematic universe....

Both are hugely influential, great numbers of die-hard followers, and etc, both are actually originated from comic book(bible or Al-quran are book too), and feature God-like superhero!!

I watch almost every single CBM movie since the 1st SM on big screen, and I think i have the right to give my thought.

Marvel- Without reading any review or trailer, I knew what "service" i could get from the movie, and they never disappoint me but neither surprise me(except for Winter Solider), kind of like enjoyable formulated movie to me 

DC- they disappoint me more often , especially that two(I dont need to mention what are they), but I must say, their movies sometimes are more thought-provoking, and made me wonder how they would look like if they are great.  

one thing for sure, marvel vs dc is the most "exciting" event in the cinematic universe, especially when come to their box office number, The fun of watching them fighting in box office counter was irreplaceable.

Would I get thread banned for this???   

7 minutes ago, PhantomX1313 said:

Absolutely though we can say that DCEU had more iconic characters in it's movies than any of marvel had with the exception of spider man

Acknowledge the achievement that many didn't even think was gonna happen a few years ago.

Lets not act like The Dceu haven't been dead for quite some time now(sarcasm).

@MCKillswitch123 Spider-Man: Homecoming sold 68,400 tickets here, becoming the biggest OW for a MCU movie in our country not counting the team up movies. Big Pictures showing it is possible to open big, we need to ban Disney asap. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

not to offend anyone in term of religion, but marvel vs dc was kind of looks like Christianity and Islam in cinematic universe....

Both are hugely influential, great numbers of die-hard followers, and etc, both are actually originated from comic book(bible or Al-quran are book too), and feature God-like superhero!!

I watch almost every single CBM movie since the 1st SM on big screen, and I think i have the right to give my thought.

Marvel- Without reading any review or trailer, I knew what "service" i could get from the movie, and they never disappoint me but neither surprise me(except for Winter Solider), kind of like enjoyable formulated movie to me 

DC- they disappoint me more often , especially that two(I dont need to mention what are they), but I must say, their movies sometimes are more thought-provoking, and made me wonder how they would look like if they are great.  

one thing for sure, marvel vs dc is the most "exciting" event in the cinematic universe, especially when come to their box office number, The fun of watching them fighting in box office counter was irreplaceable.

Would I get thread banned for this???   

Did you just offended a religion through your POV with DC example 

Edited by PhantomX1313
  • Like 1

I am curious if DCEU can keep up the $100M+ opening/$300M+ finishing streak with their lesser known characters such as Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Nightwing, Shazam, and JLD.

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I am curious if DCEU can keep up the $100M+ opening/$300M+ finishing streak with their lesser known characters such as Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Nightwing, Shazam, and JLD.

Im maybe speaking for the GA, ive never heard of any of them :lol:. WB needs to market them perfectly to have any chance of that happening and even then i dont think they could do it. Maybe WB will go the SP:H way of having a super popular character like Batman or Wonder Woman in them...

38 minutes ago, PhantomX1313 said:

Absolutely though we can say that DCEU had more iconic characters in it's movies than any of marvel had with the exception of spider man

No it didn't...WW,a rebooted Superman and SS had less chances than Guardians 2,Infinity War,Spiderman.Black Panther may not even do it(i believe it will but Aquaman can also do it).

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Ending all of the DCEU/MCU nonsense box office wise...

Star Wars >>>>>> DCEU/MCU

...it's a debate over the scraps. Who finishes 2nd or 3rd to Disney's Star Wars saga and live-action reboots of Beauty and the Beast, Lion King, etc.

James Cameron >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> unwashed peasants

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, John Harris said:

I'm not convinced Black Panther is a guaranteed $100-mil opening, are you?  Here are my completely subjective odds for the next three MCU films cracking the $100-mil-OW:

Thor: Ragnarok: 75%

Black Panther: 50%

Infinity War: 100%

BP is a totally 100M+ opener. The anticipation is real. BP was one of the best things about CW. believe it!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

JLD and Night Wing Are solid canidates.

GCC Is s the bet along with Aquaman,Flash and Batman.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Im maybe speaking for the GA, ive never heard of any of them :lol:. WB needs to market them perfectly to have any chance of that happening and even then i dont think they could do it. Maybe WB will go the SP:H way of having a super popular character like Batman or Wonder Woman in them...

This is why their are choosing their projecrs very carefully(no matter what ends up to the screen).I mean their biggest bet for the time veing is Aquaman but it still has a chance.Hell Gotham City Sirens and Batgirl can also do it.From the films that are for the time being in development only Cyborg i can see not making it there.The rest,with great marketing,can.

For what is worth,i think DC can have 8 films (considering we get GCS and Flash after Aquaman) before going below 100m with something risky like Batgirl (which can still become a huge hit down the line).

Edited by TheDarkKnightOfSteel
  • Like 1