CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

All I can say is the thought of him doing this creeps me the fuck out, unless he steers clear of the Manson situation almost entirely. The entire arc of his filmography over the last 15 years would have to boomerang pretty abruptly, IMO.

Edited by Telehilation
  • Like 3

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/burt-reynolds-kurt-russell-quentin-tarantinos-next-pic-1202803092/

Burt Reynolds, Kurt Russell, Tim Roth, and Michael Madsen are in talks to join Quentin Tarantino’s next film “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood,” sources tell Variety.

Reynolds is in talks to play George Spahn, the man who rented his house out to Charles Manson and his followers in the months leading up to the Manson murders. It is unknown who Roth, Madsen and Russell would be playing.

• Like 2

Pretty weird that I've waited for years for a big-screen adaptation of the Manson story, and I like/love most Tarantino movies, but I have pretty much no interest in this? Sounds very ill advised

32 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Burt Reynolds? whoowhoowhoo

I read he just did a movie (The Last Movie Star) where he basically plays a fictionalized version of himself who keeps getting shit on for all the choices he's made in his career. Something like that. Guess he wants dat second comeback, if even on a minor scale

11 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I read he just did a movie (The Last Movie Star) where he basically plays a fictionalized version of himself who keeps getting shit on for all the choices he's made in his career. Something like that. Guess he wants dat second comeback, if even on a minor scale

Second Comeback? God, Reynolds is on his fourth or fifth comeback........

I pretty much share Tele's skepticism that Tarantino can handle material like this which requires much more delicate handling then he has shown in the past. Doing a story about real people..some of whom are still alive...is different then his trademark Homage To Some Genre Film. He can't get away with his usual bag of "cool" tricks here.

On 01/03/2018 at 6:51 PM, Telemachos said:

His filmography, for the most part?

I'd argue that JACKIE BROWN is the only film of his that tackles violence and the world itself in a relatively realistic way. Putting quality aside, he's a filmmaking who paints in really broad strokes. And there's nothing wrong with that, but this is the first time he's dealing with a true-life historical situation that requires (presumably) some tact and perspective. Nothing in his filmography (aside from potentially JB) leads me to believe he's able to take that approach.

I don't think he would have got such a huge cast for this if they felt the film would damage their reputation. For that alone I doubt this will be some "inappropriate" disaster

24 minutes ago, Jessie said:

I don't think he would have got such a huge cast for this if they felt the film would damage their reputation. For that alone I doubt this will be some "inappropriate" disaster

Of course it's not going to damage their careers. It's Tarantino. That doesn't mean it's not going to be tasteless.

I trust Tarantino. I can understand why this story might seem like not a great fit for his established cinematic sensibilities, but I feel (also based on Jackie Brown) that he is capable of reining in his 'excesses' and weaving a more straight forward narrative.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

So like a Birdman/ Funny People angle