CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

...wtf

I read "Uma Thurman" and got excited, then I read the rest and was... significantly less excited.

Maybe Quentin Tarantino saw Lena Dunham's name and confused it with Uma Thurman. They're kinda similar, right? Lena, Uma. Dun-ham, Thur-man, simple mistake. YEAH THAT MUST BE IT. THANK GOD.

Edited by MOVIEGUY
  • Astonished 1

2 hours ago, Joel M said:

The Dunham hate in here lol. The haters can calm down, it will probably be a 5 min role in a 2.5 hour movie, the cast of this movie is already too big. 

And this is also a good example of the Mob/Herd mentality you get on the Internet.

Not a defender of Durham but she is not a terrible actress and probably does have all the great a role.

People can be just plain stupid at times.

And  nerds are often such huge manic depressives.  They overreact to just about anything.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

Girls was actually a good show but she was annoying on it. you could tell from the first episode that Adam Driver was gonna be the break out from that cast.

Most of her being annoying or even insufferable at certains parts of the show was by design though. There was a  weird thing back when that show was hot with people treating her character in the show and her "annoying" public persona as one and the same. And I'm talking about people that watched and liked the show, not the MRAs that hate her just for existing. 

Anyway she prob won't have enough time on Once upon a time.... to trigger people, there's like 10-15 famous people already anounced for this movie, I bet half of them will be a little more than glorified cameos.

4 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Most of her being annoying or even insufferable at certains parts of the show was by design though. There was a  weird thing back when that show was hot with people treating her character in the show and her "annoying" public persona as one and the same. And I'm talking about people that watched and liked the show, not the MRAs that hate her just for existing. 

being annoying on purpose is.... not great either. i didn't find her character especially well written it's the same mix of narcissism and self loathing you see in woody allen movies with either his character or the character that's supposed to be him in the later ones. it got repetitive and it's kinda the reason i never saw the show 'til the end. she wrote the not-her characters well though.

her public persona is much worse though. shit was a hot button thing in like 2012 but "lena dunham sucks" is a bipartisan issue now it's great to see both sides of the aisle come together on such matters.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

And this is also a good example of the Mob/Herd mentality you get on the Internet.

Not a defender of Durham but she is not a terrible actress and probably does have all the great a role.

People can be just plain stupid at times.

And  nerds are often such huge manic depressives.  They overreact to just about anything.

I could care less what other people on the internet think about her, from everything I've seen and heard from her she just seems like the most vapid, over-privileged, self-absorbed, idiot millennial imaginable. 

10 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

I could care less what other people on the internet think about her, from everything I've seen and heard from her she just seems like the most vapid, over-privileged, self-absorbed, idiot millennial imaginable. 

She could be all that, and still be a good actress.

I am still amazed so many people here dont' get that a person can be a total Alpha Hotel, and still be a very talented artist.

43 minutes ago, Barnack said:

If she play one of the Manson family member or supporter you really do not need to like the person for it to work in the movie.

A bit like Spacey on House of Card.

A great many great artists have been people you would probably not want as your next door neighbor.

Richard Wagner, by all accounts, was a pretty despicable human being, but he was also a very great composer.

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

She could be all that, and still be a good actress.

I am still amazed so many people here dont' get that a person can be a total Alpha Hotel, and still be a very talented artist.

Was anybody actually saying she can't act? She wouldn't be getting work if she didn't know how to be on-camera. Being able to act doesn't make you a "very talented artist" (and it DEFINITELY doesn't mean that in this case). I wasn't even "disappointed" by her casting, it just got a big fat "Ugh" from me because she's the worst, that's all. Anyways I've spilled enough ink about her.

Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I actually thought Tiny Furniture wasn't that bad and Lena Dunham was pretty good in it.  I wonder how her persona (both onscreen and off) would have developed if she wasn't heralded as the "voice of her generation" and had stayed a bit under the radar.

Don't know if anyone else saw it, but about a week ago, Norm MacDonald started goofing on every Lena Dunham tweet.  No idea what precipitated it, but it was hilarious while it lasted.

It's funny that she was called the "voice of her generation" when most millennials aren't nearly as well-off as she was before she got her break. I don't hate her, I even intermittently enjoyed Girls, but this idea that she speaks for millennials is pretty damn insulting. Maybe if she makes a film or show about young people struggling under low wages, shitty healthcare, and mountains of student debt, then we can call her the "voice of her generation." 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

It's funny that she was called the "voice of her generation" when most millennials aren't nearly as well-off as she was before she got her break. I don't hate her, I even intermittently enjoyed Girls, but this idea that she speaks for millennials is pretty damn insulting. Maybe if she makes a film or show about young people struggling under low wages, shitty healthcare, and mountains of student debt, then we can call her the "voice of her generation." 

And that's exactly the shit I was talking about. The "voice of a generation" gag was a joke her character said in the first episodes while high on drugs and it was meant as a joke to undercut her at her most narcissistic. It got some play in the press when the show was all the rage with critics and now people are like remember when Lena Dunham was declared the voice of her a generation? 

I agree that her public persona is very annoying but she also gets bashed for stuff she has nothing to do with.

17 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Girls was actually a good show but she was annoying on it. you could tell from the first episode that Adam Driver was gonna be the break out from that cast.

Allison Williams did have a major role in a simultaneous Best Picture nominee and box office smash just last year and Andrew Rannells is a double Tony nominee (though his Book of Mormon breakout was before Girls). But yeah.

Edited by filmlover