WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That was almost 10 year's ago. But BvS did a lot last year

Will probably end up being out of the top 10 annual domestic no ? and despite an has good/better reception and a great first weekend will do about 55% of what an upbeat Wonder Woman will do, it is an ambivalent example.

Yep. Logan did great for what it was but in North America it will be the lowest grossing Superhero movie. R rated Deadpool made 363mil and guess what? It's a fun blockbuster. I don't know if Wonder Woman can be considered "fun" but it does have a decent amount of humor and although it's serious it doesn't have a hopeless or near hopeless tone.

BvS opened huge because it was the very first Batman and Superman movie but a lot of people hated its tone along with other issues and it had a disastrous multiplier. Do you know what other more fun dceu movie had a better multiplier? Suicide Squad and it's reviews were worse than bvs. The point is you can make a serious movie but if it looks like a dour slog I think you're going to have trouble right now. It's my theory that we're going through a cycle where people don't want to see super dark movies to the tune of where they would want to see it in the past...again for the most. No matter their quality.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Silly kid. That isn't a superhero movie. It will decrease from the first movie.

It's a fun lighter spy esque CBM which will help a lot.

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

One week from now you will see the light.

25 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Ah you think Nolan's failure is your ally. I was born in it when Interstellar opened to 47m. Molded by it. I didn't see the 4x multiplier till I was a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING

The Laws betray you. Because they belong to ME

The Tomato Law thing isn't real. Rotten Tomatoes score was not going to get Apes 75million and you're talking to someone who over predicted it. So I'm not even pretending that my prediction was right. There are plenty of people who were dubious about the movies box office prospects but I was hoping that the seeming low interest meant nothing. Those preview numbers changed that for me. 

1 minute ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I am not expecting good things for Dunkirk next weekend.

Back to back weeks of DOUR SRS BIZNESS movies? Don't know if general audiences will be able to recover from this. Where's the fun!?

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The Tomato Law thing isn't real. Rotten Tomatoes score was not going to get Apes 75million and you're talking to someone who over predicted it. So I'm not even pretending that my prediction was right. There are plenty of people who were dubious about the movies box office prospects but I was hoping that the seeming low interest meant nothing. Those preview numbers changed that for me. 

Its still going to do well. This dour thing you're pushing isn't real either. 

1 minute ago, DealWithIt said:

Back to back weeks of DOUR SRS BIZNESS movies? Don't know if general audiences will be able to recover from this. Where's the fun!?

big problem with Apes and Dunkirk. zero hotness in both. where are the chicks? didn't these guys go to film school? at least put in a volleyball tournament at the other end of the beach or something.

• Like 11

Not amazing for Apes, but I could see it hitting the high end or above Deadline's early projections for Friday (hitting $20-22M), given I would think this would play less frontloaded than your typical big summer film with an older male audience mostly coming out in the evening. But maybe they are already accounting for this, so what do I know. *shrug* Maybe audiences are just kinda tired of the many 3rd+ entry sequels, regardless of the quality. I'm totally surmising either way off of super early projections from the sometimes unreliable Deadline, so maybe let's just see what happens... heh.

Assuming the $14 million Friday projection for Spidey is correct, I think it's looking at a $48-49 million weekend (58-59% drop), maybe closer to $50 million-ish (-57%) if it has a very strong weekend multiplier. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

I expect Dunkirk to easily score $50M+ OW DOM next weekend.

Not unless it scores some more screens at its theaters...when you only get single screens at 12s, my law is you're limited to $50M OW...right now, every opening movie next weekend gets a screen, but only one...this could change with presales and this weekend's results:)...