WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

6 hours ago, alisson23 said:

Nostalgic moment

15yx0kj.jpg

Insane WOM = 60%+ drop
Good WoM = ~50% drop 
Okay Wom = 43.3% drop
Bad Wom  =  ~30% drop

So happy WW is winning the summer and CBM this year :wub:

Ouch!

Not sure it needs to be thrown in his face but . . . yeah . . . it seems there is a disconnect between Nova's personal opinions and that of the general audience - at least in regard to these two movies.  If that continues, hopefully he will rely less on his own opinions when making BO predictions.  My guess he will probably go less on his gut feelings in the future and more on prior precedents and general trends.

But hey, isn't that really what drives all the drama here?  People thinking that their opinions reflect majority opinion and then getting upset and defensive when they realize they aren't "normal" in terms of reaction and interest?  I mean if you obsess about movies and spend a lot of time on a box office forum then you are pretty much already part of a limited niche in terms of moviegoer.  If the masses were completely predictable we wouldn't have any BO surprises and where would the fun be in that?

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RichWS said:

War looked too similar to Dawn. Nothing but wet Canadian forest.

Some really nice Canadian forests, though. Matt Reeves picked some very fine localities for War. It all looked so beautiful. I know it got me going.

Although I don't think the GA has the affinity for landscape shots like I do.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 2

Wonder Woman s box office run in the USA is way too irrational to draw any conclusion from it.

It is what it is, a weird phenomenon from Venus.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, alisson23 said:

Nostalgic moment

15yx0kj.jpg

Insane WOM = 60%+ drop
Good WoM = ~50% drop 
Okay Wom = 43.3% drop
Bad Wom  =  ~30% drop

No one on the board is as petty as you when it comes to gloating in the faces of people who get something wrong at one point.

Jesus Christ, you have a problem.

• Like 7

Nostalgic moment

15yx0kj.jpg

Insane WOM = 60%+ drop
Good WoM = ~50% drop 
Okay Wom = 43.3% drop
Bad Wom  =  ~30% drop

Ironic.

Nostalgic moment

15yx0kj.jpg

Insane WOM = 60%+ drop
Good WoM = ~50% drop 
Okay Wom = 43.3% drop
Bad Wom  =  ~30% drop

lmao

I saw it and liked it well enough but I have 0 desire to watch it again. I could see the GA feeling the exact same way

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mulder said:

The Amazing Spider-Man films all did way below what Spider-Man: Homecoming will do. Good will doesn't just spontaneously come back, it takes time.

Not necessarily. If SMH really does only do around 300, it may not even beat TASM 1 in admissions. That would be troubling to say the least considering how much more it has going for it, and would certainly indicate that the TASM movies must have had a lingering effect ala what happened with Batman Begins. This is all assumptions right now though, since second weekend drops for CBMs can be all over the place and still end up with good legs after. 

• Like 3

Yeah that is petty. People go with their gut and personal opinions all the time and that is always a hit or miss thing.

Over the 15 years that I've been following box office I've made countless bad predictions and will make countless more.

It's difficult to fairly predict a film that didn't move you or catch you. If I had seen Guardians of the Galaxy in theaters I wouldn't have been able to predict that movie's legs because I didn't care for that movie that much.

• Like 6

You know it's a guarantee that Wonder Woman 2 is going to drop domestically even if it is better than WW. This one is on track to 400M domestic and I think has maxed out its potential atleast domestically. It's like Sam Raimi's Spider-Man situation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Dawn's opening is close to $80m adjusted for inflation. So with a $58-60m opening for War, that's about 25-27% drop in admissions for opening weekend. Pretty rough. 

It's really unprecedented from what I can tell. If you look at other blockbuster franchises where the first two were well received and successful, I don't think you can find an opening weekend that dropped in admissions that much from its predecessors. Typically the third film has the highest opening weekend attendance in such cases, not the lowest. 

• Like 2

Come on people, 60% of 2nd weekend drop is a very common scenario now despite having great RT score, it's a 3rd launch of the franchise after all, it has gotten what it deserved, $117m opening and around $300m total, can't complain......

I'm more worried about Apes! It's freaking good movie!! It looks generally the same as dawn, as it embrace a more deeper and thought-provoking discuss than the 2nd, action sequence may slow and isn't we get it enough fast pacing sequences from other film??  

If people can accept the similarity between SW7 and ANH, I can't see why they can't accept the much more subtle repetition in between dawn and war 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, straggler said:

Not sure what to make of it but it just seems that the critics grade MCU films on a curve. So SMH has a RT score like Dark Knight. OK. 

It's good when things like that happen because it's fun to watch fans hop around trying to find a way to prove their favorite movie is "better".   RT score doesn't match your opinion? ...Well time to go with "average score" or Metacritic.    But then you can just torpedo that by listing movies that did better on those methods.   The instant someone doesn't agree that a movie they like is worse than a movie they didn't like but got a better "score" on any particular quality measure, you can't use that measurement any more.   But of course we only use those things when we agree with them.

33 minutes ago, AHepBurn said:

Wonder Woman debuted in a well received guest role of a poorly reviewed ensemble movie. That movie and the one after that preceded Wonder Woman were both poorly reviewed. Wonder Woman is the story of the summer.

MCU Spider-Man debuted in a well received guest role of a well reviewed ensemble movie. Both ASM movies that preceded Homecoming were much better reviewed than either BvS and SS. Homecoming, while doing well overall, is underperforming considering all the factors that have been lined to to ensure it's success.

The idea that SM3 and the ASM movies from a review standpoint have negatively impacted Homecoming simply has no basis in fact. The good will is there, the large-scale interest in the character and his connection with the franchise isn't.

Well if you are claiming the 3 terrible Spidey flicks in a row in a relatively short period of time did not negatively effect SM:H, you'll need to explain why SM 1 did so well when the character was in the same spot Wonder Woman is now.   There was more interest in Spidey in his 1st movie than there is for WW now.   Where did that interest go if you are going to discount the previous weak installments?

Novelty is a big deal.   Not having it is a big deal too.   That's why Avatar 2 and Deadpool 2 aren't going to do the numbers some people will predict.   Let's see what numbers WW does in her 6th movie.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Come on people, 60% of 2nd weekend drop is a very common scenario now despite having great RT score, it's a 3rd launch of the franchise after all, it has gotten what it deserved, $117m opening and around $300m total, can't complain......

I'm more worried about Apes! It's freaking good movie!! It looks generally the same as dawn, as it embrace a more deeper and thought-provoking discuss than the 2nd, action sequence may slow and isn't we get it enough fast pacing sequences from other film??  

If people can accept the similarity between SW7 and ANH, I can't see why they can't accept the much more subtle repetition in between dawn and war 

It's actually a very different film from Dawn though. But yes, tonally the whole trilogy is a serious one without much of any lightheartedness. Not sure why that would suddenly turn people away if it didn't the first two times. 

Dawn only came out 3 years ago. Regardless of what the film actually is, War looks remarkably similar to it's predecessor in marketing materials. You can't sell nostalgia for a 3 year old movie. People want something new and it was up to Fox to show them something new but they never did.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 4