CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Just now, a2knet said:

That's WONDR territory (9.4x). Now that had great mullti for a CBM, but not in general. For eg WAR OF APES did 11.24x as a non-CBM and still was a sequel. So I don't see less than 12x for a non-CBM non-sequel like DUNKIRK.

Its because of IMAX presales. Gonna skew heavy towards Thursday screenings judging by how packed they were last night. But I guess walkups apparently looked pretty good yesterday

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

Its because of IMAX presales. Gonna skew heavy towards Thursday screenings judging by how packed they were last night. But I guess walkups apparently looked pretty good yesterday

Yeah, IMAX could front-load. Still feel that it won't have a worse preview to OW multi than War. I was expecting 13-14x but going lower can see 11-13x but not lower than that.

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Rolling Thunder is expecting over $5m. Posted less than 1 hour ago on KJ. 

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2180323#p2180323

Not surprised. Sales were great through the end of the night in my area. Even later digital shows that were practically empty at the start of yesterday filled up halfway.

Edited by Jayhawk

17 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

The RT percentage hardly matters when the Metacritic score is so high.

It does show it's a bit polarizing.  Many seem to absolutely love it but there's a group that doesn't seem to get it.

How does the high metacritic score help Dunkirk?

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

You know if Nolan announced he'd quit directing if he got beat by Girl's Trip, the Nolanites would amass their collective life savings to buy an extra 1 million movie tickets. :sparta:

I don't think anyone really cares if it is beaten by Girls Trip or not as long as both do big numbers.

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

I don't think anyone really cares if it is beaten by Girls Trip or not as long as both do big numbers.

Oh it matters.

It matters bigly.

All the Hollywood trades' headlines will read "Girls Trip Nolan's Best Movie".

He'll never work in that town again, CJohn. :qotd:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Oh **** Nikki. I don't know why but the last weekend report I remember is Thor: the Dark World, she was tearing down its OW :lol:

Nolan and Nikki. A match made in heaven: A-list director and A-list analyst. What better weekend for her to return. :ph34r:

26 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

How does the high metacritic score help Dunkirk?

I wasn't talking about helping it, I was just saying its critical reception is glowing either way.

It's only the pleb reviewers that seem to be disliking it.

Edited by A Panda of Ice and Fire

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/valerian-city-thousand-planets/review/

I really feel that critics are being extremely harsh to this film.  If garbage rehash with not a single ounce of imagination like Jurassic world can be fresh on RT then why not this which has so much imagination...Dock points for leads and story...But common..All these big magazines, newspapers and trades are handing out 1s and 2s irresponsibly. This deserves atleast a 3 star rating.

It doesnt help that Besson dared to release this against Nolan's film. British critics are going to tear this apart. All in all a very disappointing attitude shown by these so called professional critics. I mean films with questionable acting and story telling get 70+% ...Hell 80+% with ease, so why not this? 

What worse is that audience nowadays are sheep..They praise and/or trash a movie depending on reviews without ever seeing it just so that they can be part of the crowd.