Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

On the one hand, I have underestimated the last two Mission: Impossible films (both surprises in terms of quality and BO). Thus goodwill from those plus M:I III is in its corner.

On the other... we're now at Part 6 and no matter the franchise, one starts seeing fatigue/drop-off by that point - traditionally speaking. And interesting this will be the smallest gap between films. This has been a franchise that benefited from taking time off, let audiences tire themselves of the big F/X-driven blockbusters and remind everyone how great stunt-work will wow us. So... yeah it's a mixed bag. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Catty said:

My grandson is 5 - he wants to see it just for the poop emoji - he even has the pillow.  Kids don't have the greatest taste in movies & most parents will take them to see it even though it's godawful.

Absolutely right. My brother is also 5 and he wants to see it for the poop emoji as well, because it's 'smooth poop'. Laughs every time the commercial is on. Yet he didn't want to see Spider-Man because it looked scary. Makes no sense to me. 

Also, my first post! And it's about The Emoji Movie... 🤦‍♂️

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Deja23 said:

Absolutely right. My brother is also 5 and he wants to see it for the poop emoji as well, because it's 'smooth poop'. Laughs every time the commercial is on. Yet he didn't want to see Spider-Man because it looked scary. Makes no sense to me. 

Also, my first post! And it's about The Emoji Movie... 🤦‍♂️

Lol, kids. I remember my dad being incredulous when I wanted to see Shanghai Noon instead of Gladiator. He kept trying to get me to see reason but I wouldn't budge.

Also, welcome!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Lol, kids. I remember my dad being incredulous when I wanted to see Shanghai Noon instead of Gladiator. He kept trying to get me to see reason but I wouldn't budge.

Also, welcome!

4-Gladiator-quotes.gif

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

On the one hand, I have underestimated the last two Mission: Impossible films (both surprises in terms of quality and BO). Thus goodwill from those plus M:I III is in its corner.

On the other... we're now at Part 6 and no matter the franchise, one starts seeing fatigue/drop-off by that point - traditionally speaking. And interesting this will be the smallest gap between films. This has been a franchise that benefited from taking time off, let audiences tire themselves of the big F/X-driven blockbusters and remind everyone how great stunt-work will wow us. So... yeah it's a mixed bag. 

Yeah I'm nervous MI6 will under perform as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Yeah I'm nervous MI6 will under perform as well.

I hope not. It's my most anticipated movie next year. I think MI5 is more loved that MI4. so the fanbase is there i think

It all comes down do quality with MI6, in the end. I trust Mcquarrie.

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ACSlater said:

No f*cking way with Henry Cavill''s mustache...

JatYKPs_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Lol, I love Henry and his mustache but I just wonder about franchise fatigue. 

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was well liked and did great numbers yet that didn't stop War from under performing this Summer.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1

MINIONS was awful, but Despicable Me is definitely one of those kids franchise that prove reasonably watchable with adults. The slapstick based humor and world building definitely allows it to build an audience overseas; it doesn't lose too much once you put everything in a foreign language. The franchise numbers have been undoubtedly impressive.

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Lol, I love Henry and his mustache but I just wonder about franchise fatigue. 

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was well liked and did great numbers yet that didn't stop War from under performing this Summer.

MI6 will underperform to expectations. As Jamie mentioned, the franchise has benefited from not having regular installments out (though that was more tired to Cruise's personal life than a conscious plan.

With pre-summer being loaded again, I won't be surprised with a lot of summer movies coming in below expectations.

• Like 1

Any idea how they AMC Lion King limited re-release is doing?

I think that and the Disney Princess lineup doing decently well would be a strong argument in favor of the theatre experience vs "streaming/PVOD will destroy cinema" argument.  Of course these are very old movies that most people that love them already own so I think the converse isn't necessarily true if they don't do well.

I'm also interested to see how the MacGregor/Mayweather fight does for similar reasons as it also argues the theater experience is worthwhile. 

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

With pre-summer being loaded again, I won't be surprised with a lot of summer movies coming in below expectations.

June is crazy. so many blockbusters. i can't see which will disappoint

Edited by Alli

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

@grey ghost

@iJackSparrow

You guys were definitely right. I admit that the first two weekends of Spider-Man cause me and most others to jump the gun. But it is having good legs and will probably end up around 2.8 or 2.9 with an outside chance of a three multiplier. I guess superhero movies or movies with a strong fan base will cause the movie to plummet in its second weekend and invariably at the third as well. So good call on both of your parts and you guys were right.

You know, I always feel invisible...except iJack knew I was there for him:)...

And Ijack, how about that Spidey weekend number?  Bet it beat your happiest expectation pre-weekend:)...Told you no need to stop your cheerleading now:)...

• Like 3