That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

3 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Alright now that it's passed it I guess I can say my #hottake: Wonder Woman is a great movie but I'd rather it not have passed Spider-Man cause Spider-Man is the OG CBM and one of the best movies of all time and I love the shit out of it

Raimi's Spider-Man is perhaps the peak of human accomplishment but I'm thrilled for Wonder Woman to have her moment.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Alright now that it's passed it I guess I can say my #hottake: Wonder Woman is a great movie but I'd rather it not have passed Spider-Man cause Spider-Man is the OG CBM and one of the best movies of all time and I love the shit out of it

If it makes you feel better, she passed him unadjusted ;) 

• Like 1

Another big achievement for DM3!!

Despicable Me franchise has just inched past the Ice Age franchise to become the highest-grossing animated film franchise of all time at the international box office.

DEADLINE

Internationally, the Despicable Me franchise has just inched past the Ice Age franchise to become the highest-grossing animated film franchise of all time at the international box office. The Illumination Entertainment/Universal family franchise Despicable Me has grossed $2.428B to date whereas Fox’s Ice Age franchise sits at $2.427B. Last week, (Aug. 6) the franchise of yellow fellows franchise passed the green ogre Shrek franchise to become the highest grossing animated film franchise globally. What does the Despicable and the Ice Age franchises have in common? Illumination founder and CEO Chris Meledandri. Despicable Me 3 is now the third Illumination title to gross over $900M. Despicable Me 3 is also the highest-grossing movie this summer and the third-highest grossing film overall so far in 2107.

In addition, since the release of The Secret Life of Pets in July of last year, Illumination now has had three of the top four highest-grossing animated films (along with Sing) and the second-largest animated film of all time with Minions. ‎

Universal has been enjoying the run of Despicable Me 3 which is not in the billion dollar club, but has an impressive worldwide total right now of $948.4M. Overall, combined with the studio’s domestic total of $1.4 billion, Universal’s 2017 global box office is $4.4 billion to date. And climbing. The studio reached the $4B milestone in July of this year, driven largely not only by DM3, but also by The Fate of the Furiouswhich ended its run with a whopping $1.238B.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/despicable-me-franchise-top-ani-franchise-internationally-wonder-woman-800-million-worldwide-wolf-warrior-2-china-hitmans-bodyguard-logan-lucky-1202152524/

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

13 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Most people go to the movies 10-12/year and when they go

I wonder where/how you calculate those number, over 200m people go to the theater at least once in a year, the average ticket by people is going below 4, most people go 1-5 time a year.

There is a big group but a minority of 40m people in the domestic market that are frequent moviegoers (the movie pass people) they go in average 16 time a year I think the last I calculated, they buy half the ticket.

13 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

It doesn't matter if they fill up empty seats and go 15-20 times/year once they subscribe b/c they are filling unsold seats anyway.

It does not matter directly (you could give free ticket to people you think would have never paid also, and be winning short time), but it could hurt the value of your product, like Netflix did, like the dvd rebate bin did.

It is much easier to sell a $1000 GPS at the same time you are selling a 35k cars to someone than after (because relative to the total price it look like a smaller amount, that human nature), counter intuitively usually reducing price of something will put pressure into reducing all price.

60 to 70% of studio revenue does not come from the theatrical tickets, it is a way to give prestige and high value to movies, a publicity for the others windows, they also need to think about were most of their revenue come from. Can they sells a bluray 14$ if a month of movies in theater is 10$, can Netflix be the same price, can HBO go be 17$, etc..... Can the ticket to the non frequent movie goers (that buy half the tickets) can stay above 10$ a piece if they know that a month pass is only 10$......

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Nova said:

They can create their own subscription plan. 

Would need to be around the same price, that would be an extreme rebate, one Disney would refuse to have is next Star Wars ticket rental to be .53* 10/number of movies seen that month.

Edited by Barnack

I love Spider-Man 2002 but I'm super duper happy Wonder Woman passed it money wise (not ticket sales obviously). Nothing can take away Spider-Man's massive success in 2002. I think the "female Superheroes can't sale" bullcrap idea needed to be unequivocally killed though and passing Spidey kills that idea once and for all. Wonder Woman passing 400 million is a deeply symbolic victory for that very reason. Now onward to Captain Marvel doing 650+mil in 2019. I'm cheering on Silver and Black but I'm leery of its prospects right now. Hopefully Sony doesn't meddle too much.

Good solid hold for 'Annabelle: Creation' - its drop compares favourably to comparable sequels and even the first Annabelle:

Insidious Chapter 2: -65.7%
The Conjuring 2: -63.2%
Annabelle: -57.3%
Annabelle: Creation: -55.7%

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

I think it's too low actually. The past few weeks have seen Sunday drops all be in the 35% range thanks to GOT mainly I think. Which is why all movies are estimating around that number.

I dont think its low. Its the first Sunday and wom is fairly good so I think the hold will either be being on or a little bit better.

36 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Annabelle Creation at $160,000,000 in just 10 days on a $15m budget. 

That is impressive. 

Yep, saw it last nigt and it deserves it, its pretty good.