That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

Great numbers for THB and Wind River in addition to some of the holdovers.

That's very disappointing for Logan Lucky, but unlike Detroit, theaters won't slash showtimes for it next week.

LMAO DARK TOWER :rofl: 

That's not really a good hold for Annabelle.

Damn at The Dark Tower tanking another 55%.

Solid for Annabelle, it is where I expected to land and well above the doom and gloom 12M predictions.

The Hitman's Bodyguard looked funny so I am not surprised by the results. Logan Lucky flopping is also not really a surprise.

• Like 1

the getaway is my favourite sam peckinpah movie if we're talking heist films. also The Driver which i just saw for the first time a couple months ago really rules. can totally see the influence of it all over drive and baby driver. the car chases in the driver are maybe the best i've ever seen.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

6.). The Emoji Movie (SONY) 3-day cume: $4.7M (-27%/Total: $72.1M/Wk 4

85+ DOM could happen with low competition and LD coming up.

7). Spider-Man: Homecoming (SONY/MARVEL) 3-day cume: $4.5M (-26%)/Total: $314.3M/Wk 7

SS is locked to go down. BVS could go down too. Targeting GOTG1. Is ~22 away from SM3.

It feels so good to be wildly right against the crowds thoughts about 2 movies this summer...when I have the icon I do:)...

I'm actually glad to see an original comedy hitting this weekend...I think both will have some super legs for the next few weeks, if LL can do well enough to stay in through IT on weekdays (having zero wide releases in 2 weeks is a big help)...comedies, especially original ones, tend to leg out better than other movie genres...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

also The Driver which i just saw for the first time a couple months ago really rules. can totally see the influence of it all over drive and baby driver. the car chases in the driver are maybe the best i've ever seen.

SnURr5e.png

Apparently you're going to need to be more specific.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The white male leads tanked those films. But yes blame the black woman who wasn't the female lead in either of those films. 

Can we please stop making EVERYTHING about color and gender? Rihanna is one of the most talentless popstars. She doesn't write (relies on massive writing camps), doesn't play an instrument, doesn't dance, has zero stage presence, can barely sing...despite all that she's massively successful. Hardly a victim of color or gender. 

• Thanks 1

One other thing I think is worth pointing out. It's never a good idea to just market your movie to one part of the country. There's a reason why movies are marketed across the country even if the movie has zero appeal to certain parts. It's not because studios like to waste money. It's because there is no guarantee that if you market your movie to a specific part of the country, that the people there are going to like the premise and go out to watch it. 

Getting people to the theater when you don't have a franchise or big name director (I'm looking at you Nolan) is not easy. When you make the group of people who know about your movie (through marketing) even smaller, you're decreasing the potential of the BO by your own doing. 

Apparently the PTA for LL was $20M. That's $10M less than THB and is pretty standard for a film with the budget it has. So why wasn't that money used to market the movie across the country, rather than focusing on specific areas?

I mentioned earlier that my area was not the target demo for marketing but there are two NASCAR venues less than 2 hours from where I'm at, that people around here go to when a NASCAR race is happening. 

I feel like along with stupidly releasing their film the same weekend as THB (as if this weekend is some hot weekend or something) and dropping the ball marketing wise, the people behind LL missed an opportunity to show that this way of filming and releasing a movie can work.....if done correctly. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Can we please stop making EVERYTHING about color and gender? Rihanna is one of the most talentless popstars. She doesn't write (relies on massive writing camps), doesn't play an instrument, doesn't dance, has zero stage presence, can barely sing...despite all that she's massively successful. Hardly a victim of color or gender. 

Okay but everything you've mentioned is an opinion and is based on your thoughts of Rihanna as a singer/performer. 

So what does that have to do with her 2 minute role in Valerian being the reason why Valerian didn't do well? :thinking:

• Like 5