That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

Just because you have the rights to your film sold off doesn't mean the financial burden goes away. 

According to the director, Logan Lucky needed to make $15M OW in order for it to be a success. It doesn't look like it's going to hit those numbers. 

He may have nothing to lose but the people he sold the rights to do and they may not do business again because they've lost money. 

Lionsgate is actually notorious for signing away rights. When the film ends up flopping they may not see the financial burden but the people they sold the movie to will....when a movie doesn't do well at the box office, someone is losing money. It doesn't just become a financial success because the studio no longer had the burden on them. 

I guess when you're prebuying a slate of films, it's a risk you have to take. I imagine for every La La Land, there's a Power Rangers or Gods of Egypt 

Lionsgate sells the OS rights because they don't have resources to distribute worldwide . They likely made profit from La La Land from domestic and U.K. but they wouldn't have seen money from the other markets but that's their business model and many small studios do that like Bleeker, A24 etc 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HenryMeyers20 said:

Soderbergh sold the foreign distribution rights, instead of the usual distribution deal and sold exclusive first rights to Amazon.

Because of this Logan Lucky is really not a bomb. It is like making and distributing a movie for almost nothing.

I love the Hitman's Bodyguard is doing great, because I'm a "critic hater".

But let's keep this into prospective, it may seems odd, but LL is actually in better financial shape HB.

HB marketing is 4 times more expenses than LL

But only has a 30 mill budget.

And according to deadline they only spend 30 million dollars on marketing.

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

Go THB Go! Get over $20M+ PLEASE! 

That would be excellent. RR really benefited from deadpool. it just takes one hit who the masses love and they give you another chance. RR stock is on the rise

Fingerprint Releasing/Bleecker Street’s Steven Soderbergh all-star heist movie Logan Lucky isn’t looking so hot with a $2.75M day and a $7M-$8M start, outside the bottom end of its $8M-$12M tracking. FilmNation handled foreign pre-sales in raising the $29M production cost on this NASCAR heist movie.

WELP.

Also shaping up well is Weinstein Co./Voltage’s drama thriller Wind River from Oscar-nominated filmmaker Taylor Sheridan. The pic is playing in under 700 locations with an eye on $3M.

That's a $4,322 PTA :jeb!: The Beguiled had a slightly higher PTA in 20 fewer theaters, but that collapsed because of shit WOM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

WELP.

That's a $4,322 PTA :jeb!: The Beguiled had a slightly higher PTA in 20 fewer theaters, but that collapsed because of shit WOM.

It could make the top 10 with that. I didn't know whether to put Wind Rover over Kidnap/Glass Castle with that but guess I should have

5 minutes ago, Alli said:

That would be excellent. RR really benefited from deadpool. it just takes one hit who the masses love and they give you another chance. RR stock is on the rise

It would be a good start, imo. But Action Comedy is Ryan Reynolds bread and butter. If he just stuck to those kinds of films, he could do well across the board. But alas he's the kind of actor who likes to do other genres and I guess the GA just doesn't see him as anything but the annoying asshole who cracks jokes lol 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

It would be a good start, imo. But Action Comedy is Ryan Reynolds bread and butter. If he just stuck to those kinds of films, he could do well across the board. But alas he's the kind of actor who likes to do other genres and I guess the GA just doesn't see him as anything but the annoying asshole who cracks jokes lol 

Just give him time. he can expand his repertoire once he gains fans

2 hours ago, DAJK said:

Will most likely play closer to Atomic Blonde over the weekend rather than Dark Tower. No built-in fan base, better WOM etc.

Guess that means the hype in my small town was definitely inflated compared to real world anticipation. Oh well, I'm cool with it overperforming here, as it's my last chance to rake in some extra shifts until It.

It's gonna do decent business at least. 

46 minutes ago, Nova said:

Just because you have the rights to your film sold off doesn't mean the financial burden goes away. 

According to the director, Logan Lucky needed to make $15M OW in order for it to be a success. It doesn't look like it's going to hit those numbers. 

He may have nothing to lose but the people he sold the rights to do and they may not do business again because they've lost money. 

Lionsgate is actually notorious for signing away rights. When the film ends up flopping they may not see the financial burden but the people they sold the movie to will....when a movie doesn't do well at the box office, someone is losing money. It doesn't just become a financial success because the studio no longer had the burden on them. 

Soderbergh was never quoted saying it needed to make $15M OW. In The NY Times interview the writer used that figure as an example to illustrate that LL only needed to make a modest OW to win. No one from the movie ever give a OW number.

2 minutes ago, HenryMeyers20 said:

Soderbergh was never quoted saying it needed to make $15M OW. In The NY Times interview the writer used that figure as an example to illustrate that LL only needed to make a modest OW to win. No one from the movie ever give a OW number.

From The NY Times article: 

Mr. Soderbergh noted that the box office bar for success is lower under this setup. With nearly everything prepaid, and no hefty distributor fees coming off the top, even a modest $15 million opening would be a win.