CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

4 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm pretty bullish on RPO. I think Nostalgia will help that film tremendously. As more trailers and marketing materials are released I think people will join us.

If the next trailer is a knock out, then I'll up my prediction. I think it'll at least be visually stunning, Spielberg always delivers on that front. 

I imagine the next RPO trailer will be attached to either Justice League or Star Wars.

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm pretty bullish on RPO. I think Nostalgia will help that film tremendously. As more trailers and marketing materials are released I think people will join us.

Listen, I'm a dirty slut for nostalgia projects, but the nostalgia in RPO looks so badly conceived. Nostalgia works because it reminds you of your childhood and makes you ache in your heart. The RPO trailer was so cold and corporate and unappealing. That's why IT and Stranger Things work as odes to the past - nostalgia is supposed to be warm and fuzzy like hot chocolate. The RPO trailer felt like ice water. 

Edited by snarkmachine
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Shawn said:

In this 20 years I've been following box office, IT has to make the short list of most stunning performances I've witnesses.

Good riddance, box office slump.

IT is up there with Deadpool and American Sniper OW wise. American Sniper's success still amazes me that a R rated war film could do $350m and break the January record and it did decently OS considering the subject matter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

IT is up there with Deadpool and American Sniper OW wise. American Sniper's success still amazes me that a R rated war film could do $350m and break the January record and it did decently OS considering the subject matter.

Deadpool's OW is not really as spectacular. It's a superheroe film dude. A bunch of them have opened at +100m. But how many horror films have done it? ;)

I just love how we go from "OMG!!! Deadpool and Wonder Woman truly had stunning OW/overall perf (DP)/Legs/Overall Perf/Multi (WW)!" to "Meh, they are superhero films, after all. It's not shocking."

How quickly/conveninetly we forget the skepticism and doom-n-gloom around both of those films before they opened.

BOT, you keep doing you. :D 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Stephen King better be getting tons of money from IT movie's success. Some kind of backend deal perhaps?

Because the TV series was a WB product, maybe they own the adaptation rights all this time and him not having some exec producer make it hard to tell, specially with the screenwriters talking that they did seek King approval of their script, showing he was not involved and probably didn't sold the right for that actual movie.

That said he was already a giant name in the 70s/80s when the tv series right would have been bought so I imagine he got a really good deal with all that good stuff, let alone the actual book sales boost that must be happening. 

14 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I just love how we go from "OMG!!! Deadpool and Wonder Woman truly had stunning OW/overall perf (DP)/Legs/Overall Perf/Multi (WW)!" to "Meh, they are superhero films, after all. It's not shocking."

How quickly/conveninetly we forget the skepticism and doom-n-gloom around both of those films before they opened.

It's revisionist history, plain and simple. By the way, IT is as well know as any comic book.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

57 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Ready Player One looks awful. That trailer was garbage.

49 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

That was stupid but it's a Spielberg movie with insane visuals and the Iron Giant, I'm down.

Maybe this will let folks enjoy RPO's trailer a bit more.

The Comic Con trailer had to be nerdy. We should get one with JL and I think that will be more GA friendly.

12 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

It's not that they were not shocking, just that a film breaking out of a low grossing genre is more shocking than films doing it in a already very successful genre. Same as pg-13 vs R rating box office.

27 minutes ago, Shawn said:

In this 20 years I've been following box office, IT has to make the short list of most stunning performances I've witnesses.

Good riddance, box office slump.

And it should remain strong the rest of the year

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

It's not that they were not shocking, just that a film breaking out of a low grossing genre is more shocking than films doing it in a already very successful genre. Same as pg-13 vs R rating box office.

Yep, everybody was predicting Wonder Woman to have a near 4.0 multiplier...you know, except they weren't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoobSaibot said:

This is a fucking GREAT weekend for the box office.

After the August drought, September has a hit that nobody would have seen coming before the first trailer was released. Mojo is reporting $117 million for IT's opening weekend? That is fucking insane!

Can any future September releases top that amount?

IT2  :D