CJohn

STEPHEN KING'S IT WEEKEND THREAD | 117.15 Mill!....NO SPOILERS..NOT EVEN IN TAGS!

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Yeah I mean, even if the budget is something like 100m, they will have paid off everything for the sequel (including marketing) with the profits from this one, with piles of cash still left over.

I imagine WB isn't going to spend $100m on the sequel although they could and still make a nice profit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hades said:

He did not get to that number on his own though. Uncle Tony helped out.  

So how much gets taken from Spider-Man: Homecoming, and does it get applied to the next Iron Man movie? Sony must've been more desperate than I thought to make that kind of deal.

32 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

But this isn't an estimation, this is simple research.  All he has to do is look at other similar films that kind of hit the zeitgeist, had good wom and a really solid internal multiplier.   Deadpool is a similar film imo.  They opened very close to one another, both were big surprises, both had good wom and had insane internal multipliers.  DP had a 2.75X.  Even if you drop this one just a bit because it's horror, then give it 2.55.  That's 313 million.  There's not a chance this finishes with 275.

100% agree.  If you can't do this at least what makes you an authority to predict anything?   Like you said, the research was there and the precedence too.

3 hours ago, a2knet said:

and with sony's brilliant marketing team compared to warn...sorry, nevermind.

I'm not giving Marvel Studios a pass for that. Everything to do with the film and Iron Man plastered all over the marketing is an MCU staple.  WB did a fantastic job with the IT marketing as usual and lets be honest,  IT is refreshing.   It's not more of the same,  save the world stuff we've seen for a decade. This is great for horror and might be great for other genres breaking out. 

• Like 2

I wonder sometime how much we give credits to the studio for stuff made by third party firm hired by all of them, say like the Suicide Squad trailer mega success, WB or more the firm hired to make it ? 

Edited by Barnack

There's no need to spend $100m on the sequel and no one cares if the actors are "names" or not. Look at this one! 

This film could literally stop playing tonight and it would still be a massive success for the genre. $123m is insane. 

Cant wait to see it again this weekend! 

7 (7) Spider-Man: Homecoming Sony Pictures $2,006,749 -46% 1,657 $1,211   $327,694,543 66

10 (9) The Emoji Movie Sony Pictures $1,138,516 -54% 1,450 $785   $82,595,374 45

11 (8) Despicable Me 3 Universal $933,240 -63% 1,274   $733   $259,981,415 73
12 (10) Girls Trip Universal $819,855 -64% 1,123   $730   $113,378,325     52

19 (24) War for the Planet of the Apes  Fox $450,821   -59%   653   $690   $145,329,526   59

24 (13) Cars 3 Walt Disney $298,795 -83% 510 $586   $152,042,304     87
25 (25) Atomic Blonde Focus Features $290,200 -67% 390 $744   $51,041,470   45
Edited by a2knet
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, a2knet said:

HOMECOMING is 5.5m away from GOTG1 after a 2m weekend.  Can add ~6m (3x the weekend) more and over-take GOTG1 imo.

Impressive that the actuals seemingly confirm that Spider-Man: Homecoming is now pacing higher than Dunkirk. For two very well reviewed films with very strong WOM, that's an impressive feat if you put in context that they were released two weeks apart AND Dunkirk has like 500 theaters more. 

BOM now has IT with a 66,3M OS gross. OS weekend was also heavily underestimated me thinks.

That also means, a horror film, R-Rated, just openend with close to 200 Million Worldwide, a number, that IT a) would have easily eclipsed with a handfull more OS markets and b is fucking incredible.

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $123,100,000    65.0%
Foreign:  $66,300,000    35.0%

Worldwide:  $189,400,000  
Edited by Brainbug

So IT is looking at 500+ ww and A:C 300+ ww? That's 800-850 for 2 horror films made on a combined budget of 50. Makes me dizzy. WB have thrown so many punches with WONDR, DUNKIRK, A:C and IT that I can't wrap my head around this anymore. Hope JL is the knock out blow. What a year for them. Their animation will happy to with Bat Lego and Ninjago (admittedly Bat Lego came below exceptions dom and especially os, but very successful). If BR49 does something crazy then never-mind SW8, GOTG2 and BATB, I will give the year to WB.

26 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I think if it would have grossed 200 worldwide total, that would have been good for Warner Brothers LOL now it did it in one weekend

I imagine Conjuring numbers would have great but it's going to September's American Sniper with a higher OS total