grim22

Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw | August 2 2019 | 17th most profitable movie of 2019

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

I was really excited yet for that film cus of Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot but then I realized it's from the writer/director of Skyscraper:bagoverhead:

Skyscraper was fun, Central Intelligence i think i also liked, even if I cant remember a single thing other than Kevin Hart in a shopping trolley in the trailer

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Do you see the bit under my avatar where it says "20,000 posts", yes I have heard of press screenings before.

Then I guess I'm confused as to why you asked me in the first place. Did you think I was lying? This whole thing you're doing is weird and off-putting... 

Sorry to have bothered you. 

edited to remove personal insult... wasn't needed.

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier

7 hours ago, Avatree said:

Well then clearly it wasn't reviews which tanked The Last Knight given that the previous 3 films all got equally terrible reviews... 

My friend when you make a bad film one after , after one people get tired. And the dissatisfaction shows quite clearly. Every country rejected Last Knight including China. You know how other Transformer performed... There has to be a limit how many bad movies people will watch and studio will get away with it. When Saturation happens you are fucked

4 hours ago, Nova said:

Maybe he works better with the lower budget films or at least films that don’t rely on explosions all the time but like at the end of the day he’s the one who directed this movie. So if it ends up being crappy, then a lot of the blame turns to him....

Or needed a better stunt coordinator. Wick had Jonathan Eusebio. Atomic Blonde has Sam Hargrave. Deadpool 2 had both. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Skyscraper was fun, Central Intelligence i think i also liked, even if I cant remember a single thing other than Kevin Hart in a shopping trolley in the trailer

I enjoyed Central Intelligence but Skyscraper was by far the blandest humorless Rock movie I've ever seen. 

4 hours ago, Nova said:

I’m starting to think that Universal knew this was gonna turn out to be a stinker which is why they backed out of The Rock’s movie that ended up going to Netflix :ph34r: 

Probably had more to do with Skyscraper's performance - with the same director.

3 minutes ago, Nero said:

My friend when you make a bad film one after , after one people get tired. And the dissatisfaction shows quite clearly. Every country rejected Last Knight including China. You know how other Transformer performed... There has to be a limit how many bad movies people will watch and studio will get away with it. When Saturation happens you are fucked

Yeah, that's what I meant - those reasons were to blame for TLK flopping, not negative critic reviews.

Absolutely adored this, in all its ridiculousness. Playing like a Brosnan-era Bond film (with its own version of SPECTRE) on crack - or more accurately, nitro - this thankfully does away with connections to the mainline F&F franchise and sets up its own thing - all for the better.

The real star of the show is the script (or more specifically, dialogue) and the cast that exchange all these barbs: The Rock and Statham are as hilarious together as you've hoped, Kirby is *fantastic*, Elba and everyone else is hamming it up and clearly having fun in the best way - and a lot of it appears to be thanks to Drew Pearce specifically (and Leitch's Deadpool pedigree, though when I saw Pearce's name in the credits I went 'aaaaahhh') - remember when this was supposed to be a Shane Black joint? Can really tell... There's a sense of self-awareness that gels a whole lot better than the latter F&F films, and the drama/backstories...actually...work, like, earnestly? Unlike the soapiness of Diesel's stuff.

But what Leitch brings here is a suitably ridiculous style that attempts to bring the bling and the action of his previous works all together (and you can extend that to this film as a whole being a very admirable attempt to do that) - very much succeeds at the former, with the latter I did miss the uncut and clean fight choreography which defined John Wick and Atomic Blonde, tough to adapt to PG13 evidently.

Give me 8 of these movies in a row please and thanks Universal. I think they honestly have something interesting here in the spy franchise world - a 90s styled, star-studded and gloriously OTT counterpoint to the seriousness of Bond, crazy real stunts of Mission: Impossible, and the comic-bookyness of Kingsman that seems to, on reflection, properly fulfil the direction that the main Fast films have been going in. In other words, get these two to space and not Diesel.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 2

Central Intelligence was a nice action comedy. That was the last movie I saw in theaters with my grandfather and grandmother-in-law. I laughed internally when Dwayne fought with a banana.

Edited by SLAM!

15 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Disney’s movie are regarded well in part because of the IPs, yes. That doesn’t negate the quality, it’s just a factor in it.

I think that it does. These movies play to the emotions of the audience through nostalgia. Would be surprised if Aladdin and TLK got an A cinemascore if they were original.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I think that it does. These movies play to the emotions of the audience through nostalgia. Would be surprised if Aladdin and TLK got an A cinemascore if they were original.

No amount of explaining a film’s good reception negates that good reception.    

I personally suspect Aladdin would be doing a bit better if it was original, but TLK much worse.

I'm really curious on what the marketing budget on this film is. I feel like I've been seeing ads for it for a long time. I think there was SuperBowl spot, and I recall a lot of ads during the NBA playoffs. Wherever the OW lands, I don't think lack of awareness will be a factor. 

Looks like this is going to be a big hit after all. At the very least, this means that Disney won't monopolize the top 10 biggest films of the year domestically. I'm sure this can hold very well troughout August and September.