Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

Honestly, I'm still kinda flabbergasted that ScarJo hadn't been nominated for an Oscar before this year. I'll confess to being hugely biased in favor of Lost in Translation because it was one of the first adult-oriented R-rated films I was allowed to see and connect with, but she was so outstanding in it that I've been totally onboard with her as an actress for 16 years now.

On a totally different note: I've watched the entire Bad Boys trilogy within the past week, and I was absolutely floored by how much I enjoyed Bad Boys II on a repeat viewing after loathing it when I saw it for the first time in 2011. I still don't know whether it's a *good* movie by any conceivable metric, but it's so unhinged, brazen, and unconcerned with how offensive it is toward everyone and everything that it defies traditional assessment.

Sundance happening right now and early reactions are coming in for Brenda Chapman's live-action directorial debut Come Away, a Peter Pan/Alice in Wonderland origin story with Angelina Jolie and David Oyelowo. Exactly how many Peter Pan projects are there in the pipeline right now? We got this and Benh Zeitlin's Wendy both premiering there and I think Peacock/NBC/whoever announced they've got a series in development too. And of course Disney's now getting ready to film their live-action remake (David Lowery's Peter & Wendy) in a few months for a likely release next year. Seems like everyone's catching the Neverland bug these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

I forgot that was yesterday. I thought it would be on Saturday. Only found out on twitter when Weber won hardest shot.

Yeah the night was pretty good except for a few snafus 

You know when I first started university I always thought of professors as these holders of everything knowledgeable, that they were infinitely intelligent and clear-minded. 

But idk, the past semester or so has shown me differently in some cases. In lecture yesterday, I had a prof say "these findings show XYZ, but these results are problematic because they do not fit the larger scope of our narrative, so we are going to ignore them". 

And then I fell dirty if I get tested on this, and I have to choose between answering what the data show and getting a bad mark, or answering to the professor's biases and getting a good mark. It really sucks. 

• Like 1

Watched the director's cut of Doctor Sleep (haven't seen the theatrical). Didn't expect it to be this good. Dug all the stuff with the "vampiric" cult. Actually, the stuff I liked the least was the final act at the Overlook (aside from the car ride up to the hotel, when that music kicked in, which gave me goosebumps).

Oh, and Rebecca Ferguson was ridiculously hot in this.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

You know when I first started university I always thought of professors as these holders of everything knowledgeable, that they were infinitely intelligent and clear-minded. 

But idk, the past semester or so has shown me differently in some cases. In lecture yesterday, I had a prof say "these findings show XYZ, but these results are problematic because they do not fit the larger scope of our narrative, so we are going to ignore them". 

And then I fell dirty if I get tested on this, and I have to choose between answering what the data show and getting a bad mark, or answering to the professor's biases and getting a good mark. It really sucks. 

Depending on the class you’re taking, sometimes the theory behind certain models isn’t solidly backed up by data.  This does not mean some of these models aren’t worth learning about and that they can’t be useful, as any model or theory the professor is using will not be entirely reflective of reality (especially within the realm of social sciences).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Panda said:

Depending on the class you’re taking, sometimes the theory behind certain models isn’t solidly backed up by data.  This does not mean some of these models aren’t worth learning about and that they can’t be useful, as any model or theory the professor is using will not be entirely reflective of reality (especially within the realm of social sciences).

That is true, but to say that "this doesn't fit with what I'm trying to say therefore we aren't going to consider it" rather than saying "this is argument A, and this is argument B; here is where I weigh in but let's have a discussion" seems like such a tunnel-vision way of teaching that discredits student agency and open discussion. 

Just now, DAJK said:

That is true, but to say that "this doesn't fit with what I'm trying to say therefore we aren't going to consider it" rather than saying "this is argument A, and this is argument B; here is where I weigh in but let's have a discussion" seems like such a tunnel-vision way of teaching that discredits student agency and open discussion. 

You’d have to provide context of the lecture, the theory the professor is teaching over, the data the prof is referring to, and so forth.

It’s very likely the professor is teaching over the theory and just brought that up to make students aware of an area in reality it wasn’t holding up but for the sake of time was going to move forward.

Professor’s have a limited amount of time to try and give their students as broad of an understanding of the class’s material as possible (at least at the undergraduate level), and some discussions are simply beyond the scope of the course and not beneficial to get across the main material the prof is wishing to teach.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Panda said:

You’d have to provide context of the lecture, the theory the professor is teaching over, the data the prof is referring to, and so forth.

It’s very likely the professor is teaching over the theory and just brought that up to make students aware of an area in reality it wasn’t holding up but for the sake of time was going to move forward.

Professor’s have a limited amount of time to try and give their students as broad of an understanding of the class’s material as possible (at least at the undergraduate level), and some discussions are simply beyond the scope of the course and not beneficial to get across the main material the prof is wishing to teach.

And that's totally fair, but when your class is titled "Great Debates in Human Evolution", and the key focus of the course is supposed to be on these debates, I don't think it is beneficial for the lectures to be structured as "this shouldn't be a debate because I am right and they are wrong". 

edit: obviously that last bit I have in quotation marks isn't a direct quote from the professor, but rather how they've come across in their presentations. 

I should also mention I'm doing the weekly readings for the class now, and funny enough all three of them are the professor's own articles :lol: 

Edited by DAJK

14 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Watched the director's cut of Doctor Sleep (haven't seen the theatrical). Didn't expect it to be this good. Dug all the stuff with the "vampiric" cult. Actually, the stuff I liked the least was the final act at the Overlook (aside from the car ride up to the hotel, when that music kicked in, which gave me goosebumps).

Oh, and Rebecca Ferguson was ridiculously hot in this.

agree with a lot of this. i'd rather it just be a movie about hippie vampires that eat super kids than a shining sequel. even though i did like the stuff with danny at the start but the tour thru the overlook did nothing for me.