Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

SIC is a mess from Driven To Love onwards, actually. 7PM is a very important slot and that show is a gigantic failure. Married At First Sight it ain't. Surely they're gonna put the Farmer show in the slot now..... but with Andreia Rodrigues, I dunno if it'll be a hit.

And I think A Teia does pretty okay. Granted, it has virtually no competition (Vidas Opostas died a painful death after the Eurovision night.... it was actually a HUGE hit before that night and it would spank the opposition very often, but then it saaaaank and has flopped hard since), but it was also dropped with very little promotion and still lifted Jogo Duplo's ratings. And its shares have been enormous lately, especially at midnight.

Valor da Vida, on the other hand...... yeah. I mean, 25 share daily isn't too bad, but for 9PM, it's like the bare requirement. TVI is lucky that Alma e Coração is an even bigger flop than its predecessor :rofl:

(To the non-Portuguese reading this, just keep doing your thing and don't mind all this gibberish :ph34r:)

Lets not pretend TVI is doing much better at 7 PM. That slot has an owner until the day he decides to retire.

Valor da Vida's ratings are embarassing for the 9 PM slot for TVI. They just don't bother with it because SIC straight up tanks on the primetime. A Herdeira was doing 30%+ share easily.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

Man, I'm on a roll with "movie catch up"...tonight, my oldest son was bored, so I said we should watch a movie together.  We scrolled through Netflix and he picked Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle.  He loved it - 5 stars...I, well, not so much.  But, I went to check rottentomatoes.com to see what critics thought, and I never saw a more apt consensus..."Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle brings impressive special effects to bear on the darker side of its classic source material, but loses track of the story's heart along the way."  It's like the movie went WAY off the track halfway through the human sequence, and it kept digging a hole all the way to the finish.  All I could think of was "dang, I feel bad for that adult guy b/c all he did was be nice to our protaganist, and damn, didn't that end up knifing him in the back...not quite literally, but almost":)...

Even with the story issues, it probably still gets a C+...but it could have been more...

3 hours ago, Slambros said:

Applying for scholarships.

One essay away from sending in a complete application.

Site slows to a crawl.

No longer able to get into the application site.

Tonight is the deadline.

Pray for me.

I was able to apply after all... Thanks be to God.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

I randomly decided to watch 22 Jump Street again. I still don't know how a sequel whose greenlight was as much of a no-brainer as 23 Jump Street never happened.

I guess other projects got in the way for both Hill and Tatum (like that Gambit movie that he's been attached to ever since and is unlikely to ever be made at this point).

10 hours ago, CJohn said:

Lets not pretend TVI is doing much better at 7 PM. That slot has an owner until the day he decides to retire.

Valor da Vida's ratings are embarassing for the 9 PM slot for TVI. They just don't bother with it because SIC straight up tanks on the primetime. A Herdeira was doing 30%+ share easily.

Yeah, but in the TVI-SIC battle, their inner battles do matter :rofl:   And Married was beating The Price Is Right last year, so it's not impossible for someone to out-7PM the king of 7PM.

I agree, but as I said, it does the bare requirement for the slate. It doesn't do much different than what A Herdeira did in its final months or so (AH was actually doing quite poorly in its last few weeks, apart from the rare climb to 13 or so..... its last episode result was basically a normal VdV result, although that was on a Saturday).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, filmlover said:

The stairs that ultimately killed poor George was both the best hero and the best villain of that year.

That whole subplot was one of the odder things about the movie...the absolute lack of emotional response by dad and brother to the death throughout...I mean, even if you thought they held it together on the boat as stoics so they wouldn't rile a nutty guy...still no emotional response when they get home and they just go back to their day to day?  Not a tear?  Not a stay-with-the-body and hold his hand moment off the ship with dad?  Really?  

I mean, I figured the whole reason it was in the movie was to be a gut punch...but instead, it's just like a whatever b/c the characters who are supposed to care treat it that way...it's almost like a Star Trek red shirt moment...

As someone mentioned above, Saving Private Ryan, one war movie I would put above this one, got the emotional side right for both the characters and the audience...

Edited by TwoMisfits

http://collider.com/steven-spielberg-netflix-oscars-rule-change 

This is literally the dumbest thing Spielberg could advocate for. That one week in NY and LA rule is good enough. Streaming isn't killing cinema. High ticket prices and lack of access are. Also doesn't help that the quality of movies has been getting worse so there isn't as much incentive to pay 15-25 bucks to watch the movie in the cinema. There is a reason why even shitty films like Bird Box (which would have flopped if it had a theatrical release) become so big. As the article says: 

DuVernay has long been a supporter of the Netflix model, pointing out that movie theaters aren’t always accessible to those with lower income, and especially persons of color. Indeed, people couldn’t even see DuVernay’s civil rights drama Selma in Selma, Alabama or Straight Outta Compton in Compton, California due to lack of access. And the reason Alfonso Cuarón took Roma to Netflix in the first place was because other distributors wouldn’t commit to as wide a potential audience as the streaming service.

37 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

That whole subplot was one of the odder things about the movie...the absolute lack of emotional response by dad and brother to the death throughout...I mean, even if you thought they held it together on the boat as stoics so they wouldn't rile a nutty guy...still no emotional response when they get home and they just go back to their day to day?  Not a tear?  Not a stay-with-the-body and hold his hand moment off the ship with dad?  Really?  

I mean, I figured the whole reason it was in the movie was to be a gut punch...but instead, it's just like a whatever b/c the characters who are supposed to care treat it that way...it's almost like a Star Trek red shirt moment...

As someone mentioned above, Saving Private Ryan, one war movie I would put above this one, got the emotional side right for both the characters and the audience...

they aren't his dad and brother. And I'd argue their stoicism (not indifference - as I remember, they are of course shaken by it) is a perfectly fine response given the enormity of what they were involved in, and makes the senseless tragedy of George's death more starkly felt. The whole movie is about making you understand death as a fact, not milking your tears a la Spielberg at every turn.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Finally done with my last university assignment for my course. Now in this limbo period of spending more time posting on BOT trying to find a full time job. Though tbh there's some things I'd like to do before starting full time work.

Congrats!

Not posting at BOT I assume? An chance  to fullfill some of them?