Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

2 hours ago, Eric the Genie said:

Jay Leno got the last laugh after all.

Jay Leno, hell; I am  old enough to remember staying up as a kid to watch Johnny Carson.

Irony is we will be back to early fifties level of Network Programming if this keeps up.

Edited by dudalb

Stock Market in free fall since Powell's sppech about economic pain ahead.

I think a recession is now a matter of when not it, and, of course, film box office will be impacted.

Warners is the one to worry about, since they are much worse shape then the other studios. All the studios will be hurt, but Warners is much more vulnerable to damage.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:36 PM, Eric the Genie said:

Jay Leno got the last laugh after all.

Late night comedy has taken a huge ratings hit and a lot of shows been cancelled. 

Stewart and Noah are doing okay but their reach and popularity are a shadow of their former selves.

John Oliver does okay but that is not a late night show but more like a tv show. 

Not suprised comedy shows double down appealing to the costal crowd and everyone else tuned out. 

Edited by Torontofan

2 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Late night comedy has taken a huge ratings hit and a lot of shows been cancelled. 

Stewart and Noah are doing okay but their reach and popularity are a shadow of their former selves.

John Oliver does okay but that is not a late night show but more like a tv show. 

Not suprised comedy shows double down appealing to the costal crowd and everyone else tuned out. 

Okay.

Huge news in the world of baseball overnight:

Long long loooooooong overdue.  But I'm glad to see the steps are finally being taken.

===

A couple of points.

#1:  MLB parent teams are the ones who pay minor league salaries, not the MiLB teams, so this wouldn't effect ticket prices or operating expenses for minor league team owners.

#2: While it is certainly true that the goals of, say, a $200m superstar and a Rookie Ball second string catcher won't always align, having any voice at the negotiating table is better than what MiLB players have now (which is Court of Law and Court of Public Opinion).

And related to Point #2:  The penny wise, pound foolish nature of how nearly all MLB team treats their minor league affiliates when it comes to basic needs like housing and meals and transportation makes this something that is BADLY needed. 

It's damn near* criminal how little minor league players earn while expecting to have a full time job AND it's massively counter-productive to the supposed goal of the minor leagues: Getting Major League Ready talent (i.e. player development).

* Only reason I call it "damn near" is because there are lawsuits in the works/in consideration on this whole travesty.

It'll be interesting to follow this as the process plays out, but given how much groundwork that has been done on this for literally years (unionizing/getting greater representation for MiLB players really started to gain steam in the early-to-mid-10s), I think this actually has a pretty strong chance of happening.

@Plain Old Tele @4815162342 @TwoMisfits @Webslinger @Menor Reborn @MrPink @Inceptionzq

(and any other baseball fans I'm not thinking about right this second)

• Like 6

This is even dumber than the G.I. Jane thing, someway somehow.

• ...wtf 1

On 8/29/2022 at 2:47 PM, Porthos said:

Huge news in the world of baseball overnight:

Long long loooooooong overdue.  But I'm glad to see the steps are finally being taken.

===

A couple of points.

#1:  MLB parent teams are the ones who pay minor league salaries, not the MiLB teams, so this wouldn't effect ticket prices or operating expenses for minor league team owners.

#2: While it is certainly true that the goals of, say, a $200m superstar and a Rookie Ball second string catcher won't always align, having any voice at the negotiating table is better than what MiLB players have now (which is Court of Law and Court of Public Opinion).

And related to Point #2:  The penny wise, pound foolish nature of how nearly all MLB team treats their minor league affiliates when it comes to basic needs like housing and meals and transportation makes this something that is BADLY needed. 

It's damn near* criminal how little minor league players earn while expecting to have a full time job AND it's massively counter-productive to the supposed goal of the minor leagues: Getting Major League Ready talent (i.e. player development).

* Only reason I call it "damn near" is because there are lawsuits in the works/in consideration on this whole travesty.

It'll be interesting to follow this as the process plays out, but given how much groundwork that has been done on this for literally years (unionizing/getting greater representation for MiLB players really started to gain steam in the early-to-mid-10s), I think this actually has a pretty strong chance of happening.

@Plain Old Tele @4815162342 @TwoMisfits @Webslinger @Menor Reborn @MrPink @Inceptionzq

(and any other baseball fans I'm not thinking about right this second)

As someone who goes to Sacramento River Cats games regularly, interested in how this turns out.

But, knowing Baseball, they will  find a way to screw this  up.

2 hours ago, YM! said:

Good, now get rid of Elrodi so he can’t be the next Superman.

Sydney Sweeney signed on for a Sony thriller the other day that sounds like a total Purge wannabe. I can already tell the Hollywood infatuation with trying to make stars out of the Euphoria actors is going to have a very short shelf life (even though the actors can't really be blamed for the reasons I hate the show, that's largely on Sam Levinson lol).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Sydney Sweeney signed on for a Sony thriller the other day that sounds like a total Purge wannabe. I can already tell the Hollywood infatuation with trying to make stars out of the Euphoria actors is going to have a very short shelf life (even though the actors can't really be blamed for the reasons I hate the show, that's largely on Sam Levinson lol).

I also don't like Euphoria (Skins is better) but she was great in The White Lotus so I could she her having a decent career. 

8 minutes ago, Potiki said:

I also don't like Euphoria (Skins is better) but she was great in The White Lotus so I could she her having a decent career. 

I enjoyed her in The White Lotus as well, even if she was my least favorite of the eight Emmy-nominated performances (most surprisingly great performance from that ensemble, IMO, was Alexandra Daddario, which is probably more related to a rather bland filmography than to her actual acting abilities). Really hoping Jennifer Coolidge and Murray Bartlett take home those Emmys despite the potential vote-cancelling from all of the participants from the show facing off against each other in their respective categories.