Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

23 minutes ago, DAJK said:

quick guys please, is it

''physical geography and its implications on early civilizations''

or

''physical geography and its implications upon early civilizations''

Top one reads better to me. That or change implications to effects.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DAJK said:

quick guys please, is it

or

Summary: Using upon or on depends on the context. If you want or need to sound more formal (or, as Follett says, “bookish”) use upon. It also is acceptable to use upon when the sense in which it is used is “on the occasion of” or “when (something) occurs.” Garner, Modern American Usage 808.Apr 3, 2012 ( link

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I generally go for the simplest word possible in cases like that especially when writing for geography and stuff. They don't want flashy words in my experience, they just want you to get to the point.

Bit of a stretch to call upon a flashy word after thinking about it for more than two seconds but it is kinda awkward in most cases. Best to just do what Chewy said.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Top one reads better to me. That or change implications to effects.

It crossed my mind but I had just used effects a few lines up. Went to go change that one to something else but I kept running in circles :lol:

14 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Summary: Using upon or on depends on the context. If you want or need to sound more formal (or, as Follett says, “bookish”) use upon. It also is acceptable to use upon when the sense in which it is used is “on the occasion of” or “when (something) occurs.” Garner, Modern American Usage 808.Apr 3, 2012 ( link

Okay interesting, I went with on, but I also altered the sentence structure a bit so that it would read better

9 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Just never use upon in your writing, honestly. On will always be correct, upon won't

Didn't end up using it but good to know

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

Yeah, I generally go for the simplest word possible in cases like that especially when writing for geography and stuff. They don't want flashy words in my experience, they just want you to get to the point.

Bit of a stretch to call upon a flashy word after thinking about it for more than two seconds but it is kinda awkward in most cases. Best to just do what Chewy said.

Exactly, I don't like my writing to read as too flashy, it's not like I'm writing some kind of prose for high school English. I try not to make all my sentences sound the same either so I try to add some variation but yea nothing too flashy

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, aabattery said:

Twilight Zone: The Movie is interesting. First two segments are pretty bad but I quite liked the last  two. We'll call it mixed.

so you're saying Joe Dante is better than THE BERG?

:sparta:

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

quick guys please, is it

or

Saw this too late, but I hope you fully switched out implications entirely - no idea what the rest of the sentence says, but "the conclusion drawn" or "the state of being involved" probably isn't quite the meaning you are going for...

"Influence on the development of" was probably what you were going for (if you couldn't use effects again)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1