Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But 2021 has the potential strike coming...and the players may force all the teams not spending money (like about 3/4 of them now?) to have mandatory roster minimum salary floors (like $150M for a team, for example)...if that happens, there will be a lot of money floating around that's currently on the sidelines lining owner's pockets...

A 3-4 year deal, enough to get him past the next labor unrest and in the driver seat, could have really paid off...now in 5 years, if he performs at the level the Phillies are hoping, he might turn into a true bargain...

Kinda addressed this with my last post, but you're right.  We have absolutely no idea what will happen when the looming baseball strike is over the new CBA is eventually agreed to.  But 'absolutely no idea' could also mean that the players lose badly.  After all, they're not guaranteed to be able to claw back salaries for older players.

This deal is a bet that the current trends continue.  Is it the right bet?  Who knows.  But I still think that if all things are equal 13/330 is at least as good as 10/300 with deferrals.For me at least, the deferrals are the biggest thing, with the opt-out being my own personal suspicions on how the players are starting to view them.

Still, as I said, you're absolutely right about the fact that we have no idea what the next CBA will be like and what will happen with it.  For instance, the players didn't see how the draft pick penalties (along with international spending) for going over the luxury tax too much would decimate the FA market.  Who knows what will happen next.

So, maybe you're right about Harper taking a lesser deal here.  I just think this is good deal for Harper/Boras.  We'll see which of us is right in the fullness of time, I suppose. :lol:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Kinda addressed this with my last post, but you're right.  We have absolutely no idea what will happen when the looming baseball strike is over the new CBA is eventually agreed to.  But 'absolutely no idea' could also mean that the players lose badly.  After all, they're not guaranteed to be able to claw back salaries for older players.

This deal is a bet that the current trends continue.  Is it the right bet?  Who knows.  But I still think that if all things are equal 13/330 is at least as good as 10/300 with deferrals.For me at least, the deferrals are the biggest thing, with the opt-out being my own personal suspicions on how the players are starting to view them.

Still, as I said, you're absolutely right about the fact that we have no idea what the next CBA will be like and what will happen with it.  For instance, the players didn't see how the draft pick penalties (along with international spending) for going over the luxury tax too much would decimate the FA market.  Who knows what will happen next.

So, maybe you're right about Harper taking a lesser deal here.  I just think this is good deal for Harper/Boras.  We'll see which of us is right in the fullness of time, I suppose. :lol:

See, I think it's a good deal for both...which makes it the best deal:)...

Boras can say he got a record in a rough market and got his client what he wanted - a deal to end his career in...so he can explain away not getting tippy top dollar by saying he did the best he could with the hand dealt...

Harper can play as hard as he always does without ever worrying about a career-ender costing him exponential money.  He is guaranteed to be rich.  And above that, if he plays well, he can become a Mike Schmidt, a Nolan Ryan, etc...someone so identified with the team that he has a 2nd career (and co-career) as a marketer/spokesman/idol for an area:)...I mean, see what Philly fans do for Nick Foles for just 1 Super Bowl...now think about Harper delivering more than 1 World Series and what stratosphere he'd go in:)...

The Phillies, above getting the talent, get certainty and a player committed to them (with no opt outs)...and with that player, the ability to market him for the long term, almost like a football starting QB...and they can also injury insure him for the duration of the contract, so they don't "lose" unless he sucks...one thing Harper hasn't done yet is suck when healthy, so it's a good move for them...

I was worried the Phillies would overpay to the tune of 10 years and $375M and "stick themselves" for awhile, but here, they actually got a "reasonable" yearly rate after the 1st year of $26M (and then $23M the last 3 years)...that's not bad for a superstar...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

@Porthos you are underestimating how good the deal is for the Phillies in that it's an annual luxury tax hit of just over $25 million, which really is a boon for them, especially with a certain free agent two years from now. Boras got the record amount, but the AAV is much less than Machado and Arenado.

Also, the deal is reported to be frontloaded, so the back end won't be as onerous as say the Ryan Howard extension.

Also, since I am 100% certain the NL will have the DH after the next CBA, the Phillies can shift Harper there for the final 5-6 years of the contract.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

@Porthos you are underestimating how good the deal is for the Phillies in that it's an annual luxury tax hit of just over $25 million, which really is a boon for them, especially with a certain free agent two years from now. Boras got the record amount, but the AAV is much less than Machado and Arenado.

Also, the deal is reported to be frontloaded, so the back end won't be as onerous as say the Ryan Howard extension.

Also, since I am 100% certain the NL will have the DH after the next CBA, the Phillies can shift Harper there for the final 5-6 years of the contract.

As @TwoMisfits pointed out, just because something is a win for Harper/Boras doesn't preclude it from also being a win for the Phillies.

Fully agree that the AAV is a great get for the Phillies.  Still doesn't take anything away from my initial claim which started this:  Boras is good at what he does. :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Jeez, I keep forgetting about the looming universality of the DH. Even as an AL fan, it still just seems unbelievably weird despite the obvious sense it makes on financial and competitive levels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Water Bottle said:

@Porthos

Tele didn't know who Hondo Ohnaka is in telegram chat. Screenshot is included for evidence.

Screenshot 2019-02-28 18.20.41.png

I'd post the SHAME SHAME SHAME gif, but instead I'll be nice* and say that Tele jr. can tell Tele all about Hondo when Tele is mature enough to watch The Clone Wars with Tele jr. :lol:

* for certain values of nice. :ph34r:

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

Rewatched Moonlight for the first time since I saw it in theatres are man does it hold up well. Really liked it the first go around but I'd forgotten just how beautiful the whole thing is. Gotten all up in my feelings.

(Do more movies @Janelle Monáe (and I don't mean ugly dolls or whatever)).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Porthos said:

As @TwoMisfits pointed out, just because something is a win for Harper/Boras doesn't preclude it from also being a win for the Phillies.

Fully agree that the AAV is a great get for the Phillies.  Still doesn't take anything away from my initial claim which started this:  Boras is good at what he does. :)

Just saw that the Giants offered 12/310.

Considering Cali taxes plus the park depressing LH power, they'd probably have needed to exceed the Phillies' offer by a fair bit.

Boras also claiming Harper got a short term offer at $45m AAV. I'll raise an eyebrow at that one.

• Like 1