Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

12 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

$70 a year seems a steal IMO

I'm sure they'll hike up the price in the near future

Pretty clear to me that they will try to bleed Netflix dry. The price isn't just deliberate to get people on the service, but to keep them there with a much lower price point than Netflix. I think they are willing lose money here to do what it takes. They have a ton more cash than Netflix to burn. 

20 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Really ? I really thought it was vastly thought that this very type of content was a big part of why they bought Fox.

Netflix 100m a year for Friend look cheaper now.

Was thinking it would be on Hulu, just thought it would fit in what Disney's rumored vision for Hulu would be, but I think it's gonna be a massive draw for Disney+.

• Like 1

Just now, Jayhawk said:

Pretty clear to me that they will try to bleed Netflix dry. The price isn't just deliberate to get people on the service, but to keep them there with a much lower price point than Netflix. I think they are willing lose money here to do what it takes. They have a ton more cash than Netflix to burn. 

They've sunk about a billion into this (taking into account the cost of getting the streaming capabilities up and running, the cost of new shows, and the loss of licensing revenue from pulling shows off Netflix and other services). And ESPN has its own sunk costs too. So they'll be running in the red for awhile at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

Did thy buy it back or not? I am a bit confused based on some earlier posts here

wonder what Disney paid Turner to get rights to original Star Wars films back?

They must have bought the rights back under the radar, because the initial news was that it would take until the mid 2020s to get all the SW films on the service.

• Thanks 1

One of The Americans' writers and producers is going to be the exec producer and show runner of the Cassian Andor/K2SO prequel. 

Coming in 2021, according to starwars.com:

ALAN TUDYK TO RETURN AS K-2SO IN CASSIAN ANDOR LIVE-ACTION SERIES

THE AMERICANS’ STEPHEN SCHIFF ANNOUNCED AS SHOWRUNNER AND EXECUTIVE PRODUCER.

There is more than a 97.6 percent chance that K-2SO fans will be very happy.

Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy announced today that Alan Tudyk will reprise the role of K-2SO in the upcoming Cassian Andor live-action series for Disney+, the Company’s new direct-to-consumer streaming service launching November 12. For Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Tudyk both voiced K-2SO and performed motion-capture for the towering droid, who quickly became a fan favorite thanks to his wit and sense of loyalty.

In addition, it was confirmed that Stephen Schiff, of the critically acclaimed show The Americans, will serve as showrunner and executive producer.

The series, set to go into production this year and premiere in 2021, follows the adventures of rebel spy Cassian Andor during the formative years of the Rebellion and prior to the events of Rogue One. Diego Luna will reprise the role of Andor.

The rousing spy thriller will explore tales filled with espionage and daring missions to restore hope to a galaxy in the grip of a ruthless Empire. A release date for the series has not yet been announced.

Stay tuned to StarWars.com for the latest updates.

(If it was earlier, I'd start up a thread.  But that's a bit too far away, IMO)

Edited by Porthos
misread the initial PR blast slightly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

13 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

And ESPN has its own sunk costs too.

Will only be the + add on of ESPN and it will be a big ads for ESPN to people at the same time if I understand what is coming on.

Edited by Barnack