Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

:hahaha:

Ok I'm going to play nice here.

Why does it feel like, not only has there been mass immigration from Arabic/East Indian countries to North America in the last several years, but also that our culture is slowly conforming to them. 

No, Arabic should NOT be taught in schools anywhere in North America. You're here, not there. You want to be a citizen here, learn our official languages fast and conform to OUR society. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Why does it feel like, not only has there been mass immigration from Arabic/East Indian countries to North America in the last several years, but also that our culture is slowly conforming to them. 

No, Arabic should NOT be taught in schools anywhere in North America. You're here, not there. You want to be a citizen here, learn our official languages fast and conform to OUR society. 

Thank you Drax. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, JB33 said:

💩

• Like 10

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JB33 said:

You sound like that lady who terrorized those girls for speaking Spanish and was arrested and charged with harassment after this other customer told her off.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/blakemontgomery/two-people-were-being-harassed-for-speaking-spanish-in-a

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, filmlover said:

You sound like that lady who terrorized those girls for speaking Spanish and was arrested and charged with harassment after this other customer told her off.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/blakemontgomery/two-people-were-being-harassed-for-speaking-spanish-in-a

Reality is most people who speak another language also speak English quite well. 

I do personally as a minority take issue with my fellow people who have come to Canada for like 20-40 years and have not learned English.  You have every right not to but you cant complain you dont get the most from Canadian society when you cant speak to 98% of them lol 

Edited by Lordmandeep

9 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Reality is most people who speak another language also speak English quite well. 

I do personally as a minority take issue with my fellow people who have come to Canada for like 20-40 years and have not learned English.  You have every right not to but you cant complain you dont get the most from Canadian society when you cant speak to 98% of them lol 

lol are you really taking the stance that that lady was right to harass those girls? Cause that's what you're more or less doing. Ouch. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol are you really taking the stance that that lady was right to harass those girls? Cause that's what you're more or less doing. Ouch. 

:rolleyes: I was talking about the bigger issue about whether or not about should learn English coming to North America. 

No I meant the lady is dumb for harassing the girls because there is a good chance they speak better English than her lol

Like when I go to small-town Canada I find some people speak English very slowly to me and I talk back like them and they are like :stretcher:

I was talking about my own personal experience about people who come to Canada for like 2-4 decades and dont know English. I am not saying they should be harassed at all and frankly if you choose not to learn English so be it but I know some of them in my own family who complained about Canada has not been great to them and I was like well ... 

My point is Filmlover I have lived the immigrant experience so I would say my opinion on the matter is that language is a barrier to self-development. Knowing English and some french has helped my tremendously integrate into Canada but I love i can still speak the language of my family and my ancestors as well :)

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 4

Depending on which country someone has migrated from, the people already speak English fluently. One of my best friend’s family migrated from the Middle East and his mom plus dad along with extended family all speak English very well. Even better than most people here. It’s cause over there they teach them English but unlike over here, they don’t get up in arms about learning another language. 

But I suppose one could argue that these people wouldn’t even need to migrate over here, if Western countries didn’t spend decades destabilizing that region but that’s a topic for a different day and not appropriate for this thread.