Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

48 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Thank you for the proficiency chart - my daughter learns Japanese now from an online tutor in Japan, and when I was selecting a tutor, I always wondered what their English levels were (b/c I didn't know what those designations meant...but I wanted her to have a tutor she could talk to in English if she was struggling in Japanese:)...

Usually especially the CEFR system seems to be meant for adults - I think, see my hint about bringing an enhanced general understanding of complex situations or... with them

See my example, the 9th grader, who can follow Ready Player One without problems, has a big problem (can not follow at all) with e.g. 'We Own the Night' as he can not use his own's live experiences nor is used to the accents ... in that example, more complex also.

A person on the C1 level has to be able to understand it.

A 9th grader wont even know certain economical, technological,.. terms in his/her own language (like customs, insurance, ...), having reached the nouveau of a native 5th grader wont help with that as well. He will know terms like e.g. a dragon, but will not understand e.g. 'allowable against income tax'. And have no idea about certain grammar situations, e.g. how to differentiate certain times, if he does not know all of those.

There are differences in the names of the levels/charts btw, if a language learner is living in a country as a foreigner and wants to learn there the new language or stays at home = the additional input is immensely bigger in the foreign country (e.g. m as a German learning English in UK/US/CAN/AUS.. or at home, at home no help per day-to-day communications / activities like e.g. going grocery shopping)

= living in the country as a foreigner learning English = the ESL system.

Added in the case you want to start to buy reading material, I've seen repeatedly such ESL (or another language) additions at e.g. amazon.com = includes grammar mostly to difficult for the same grades in foreign countries.

A CEFR B1 level student I think has a useable count of ~ up to 1,500 headwords, an high level ESL learner has the ability to use 15,000 headwords or even 20.000 (near native, but ...)

headwords = basic words, that have often lots of versions.

Like to teach = taught,... also teacher

I think I've read somewhere B1 needs ~ 200-400 hours of intense teaching in a school with a teacher, excluding the homework/training to solidify the lessons.

Good luck and a lot of fun!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

How many brothers do you have, and are they all BOT members?

arghh I meant browsers. Did I switch on auto-correct or what had I in mind writing that? Def didn't think about him...

I have only one, and nope, he isn't a member here, not into movies in general, and if, then they have to be 'cultural' ones. Art academy....

• Like 1

Hulu's Catch-22 is getting great reviews, which is surprising because I always thought so much of what made that book incredible was the way Heller wrote it. Probably my favourite book of all time, so incredibly excited to see it.

23 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Mental game.

Another classic today, 96th minute goal, this season as you rightly said has been MENTAL.

Liverpool vs Spurs CL Final and most likely Chelsea vs Arsenal Europa Final, it's been all England this season.

Edited by oMeriMombatti
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, oMeriMombatti said:

Another classic today, 96th minute goal, this season as you rightly said has been MENTAL.

Liverpool vs Spurs CL Final and most likely Chelsea vs Arsenal Europa Final, it's been all England this season.

Beeing an Eintracht Frankfurt supporter, i hope of course that we will go into the final. We need Chelsea to really, extremely suck tomorrow for that though :D

• Haha 1

At 2 months and 2 weeks is Captain Marvel the fastest major blockbuster to have a home video release? 

I remember when you’d have to wait 5-6 months before a movie hit DVD’s.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

I remember when you’d have to wait at least a year for a home video release.  

Yes.  

Does anyone know the timing in the 80's/early 90's of the various release windows?  

Theatrical

Rental

Home Video

5 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Yes.  

Does anyone know the timing in the 80's/early 90's of the various release windows?  

Theatrical

Rental

Home Video

I’m just going by memory.  Like I mentioned Rental/Home Video was about a year.  Then maybe a year later it might have shown up on HBO etc.  And then maybe another two years or so it would hit a network