Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

25 minutes ago, AJG said:

LOOOOOOOOOL Anybody remember FlashForward? The TV show where everyone on earth passed out for a minute and woke back up? It was possibly the most advertised TV show I’d ever seen at the time. I think it lasted one season.

I was loaded, OK!

@CoolioD1

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

The budget's about $10M per episode, which IIRC is about what GOT costed in the later seasons. Disney's definitely pushing Mandalorian as the system seller

That make a season of GOT cheaper than a NCIS, Preacher season 3 was 7m by episode for an example of show with SFX.

Either those budget rumor for GOT are not true, do not include seasons cost and just below the line for the episode, those actor salary rumors are quite false.

With many actor supposedly making 500k by episode they appear in, keeping the budget at 10m the episode is quite something.

In the first season at least the CGI are quite below what was done in movies and there is a lot of cheap people talking in the same room scene to cut cost, so maybe that how they save so much money.

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That make a season of GOT cheaper than a NCIS, Preacher season 3 was 7m by episode for an example of show with SFX.

Either those budget rumor for GOT are not true, do not include seasons cost and just below the line for the episode, those actor salary rumors are quite false.

With many actor supposedly making 500k by episode they appear in, keeping the budget at 10m the episode is quite something.

In the first season at least the CGI are quite below what was done in movies and there is a lot of cheap people talking in the same room scene to cut cost, so maybe that how they save so much money.

I meant to say GOT was $10M per episode

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I meant to say GOT was $10M per episode

That what I understood, I wonder how true are those cost rumors and if they are how do they manage the rumored actor salary in there (maybe those take into account residual payment and are not their actual salary too)

For example Big Bang theory despite being pretty much free to make and shoot cost raised to about 9-10M in episode because of salary going up over time.

Here they have it at $15M: http://mentalfloss.com/article/559417/most-expensive-tv-shows-ever-made-game-of-thrones-the-crown and not lower than some Netflix show, that make more sense to me.

12 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It’s not true and it’s misreported.

They report episode budgets as the sum of a division (eg 100\10=10). That’s wrong.

The budget is a lump sum that’s used for each episode appropriately. Every episode wouldn’t need the same budget. Sets don’t have to be rebuilt for every episode. Crew, props, and equipment don’t need to be shipped to every location for every they need to be used. 

10 minutes ago, AJG said:

It’s not true and it’s misreported.

They report episode budgets as the sum of a division (eg 100\10=10). That’s wrong.

The budget is a lump sum that’s used for each episode appropriately. Every episode wouldn’t need the same budget. Sets don’t have to be rebuilt for every episode. Crew, props, and equipment don’t need to be shipped to every location for every they need to be used. 

I think it is implicitly and read by everyone has the average cost by episode, that would not be misreporting to say that a say 100m budget season of 10 episode was 10m by episode. (Maybe I am misreading what you mean)

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Speaking of Disney+, I'm super hype for the Monsters, Inc. show if only because Henry Winkler's a part of the voice cast. With this, Barry, and the new Wes Anderson joint, we're officially in the Winkler Renaissance. Hell yeah.

latest?cb=20120529053149

Anyone else with a 4K TV struggling to find 4K content.

I’m already cutting back on physical media but the price of UHD Discs are insane. Piracy is out of the question because the downloads are massive (50gb+). 

The only 4K content I get are some Netflix and Amazon originals.

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

I’m already cutting back on physical media but the price of UHD Discs are insane. Piracy is out of the question because the downloads are massive (50gb+). 

Xbox One X?

I buy about 10 UHD's a year + Netflix/Amazon + PS4 Pro, it's enough to satisfy. Should be better when the next generation of consoles come out. I understand in the UK tho, the UHD market is probably different. Here in the US, UHD's do hit $15 from time to time (or even $10 on Black Friday)

Edited by MrPink

Just now, MrPink said:

Xbox One X?

I buy about 10 UHD's a year + Netflix/Amazon + PS4 Pro, it's enough to satisfy. Should be better when the next generation of consoles come out.

I use the Xbox One S for UHD Blu Ray and a regular PS4 for games (I don’t care for Xbox as a gaming platform and the PS4 Pro isn’t as powerful as I’d like).

As for UHD’s I buy whatever I can find at the second hand store, but my rule is I never spend more £10 on each film, so my collection is pretty lackluster (Kingsman 2, Jumanji 2, Jurassic World 2).

2 hours ago, AJG said:

LOOOOOOOOOL Anybody remember FlashForward? The TV show where everyone on earth passed out for a minute and woke back up? It was possibly the most advertised TV show I’d ever seen at the time. I think it lasted one season.

lol there was also that alien show with pre-Homeland/pre-Deadpool Morena Baccarin that was another Lost wannabe for ABC and flopped as well around that same time.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

I use the Xbox One S for UHD Blu Ray and a regular PS4 for games (I don’t care for Xbox as a gaming platform and the PS4 Pro isn’t as powerful as I’d like).

As for UHD’s I buy whatever I can find at the second hand store, but my rule is I never spend more £10 on each film, so my collection is pretty lackluster (Kingsman 2, Jumanji 2, Jurassic World 2).

Depends on your means, but you could use the X for the multi-platform games, but if that's not something you're interested in doing then you're kinda out of luck for a while. Personally, the checkboard rendering that the Pro uses for its game is generally enough of a boost for me to appreciate it, even if it's not true 4K.

I personally wish HBO would upload 4K content for their shows.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol there was also that alien show with pre-Homeland/pre-Deadpool Morena Baccarin that was another Lost wannabe for ABC and flopped as well around that same time.

Wasn’t that V?  I remember both that and Flash Forward.

31 minutes ago, AJG said:

By the way I'm 3 episodes into Dead to Me so far and really digging it. Definitely Big Little Lies-esque (and perfect to tide us over until that returns next month). Applegate and Cardellini are treasures but we all knew that.