Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

@ShouldIBeHere @terrestrial @Fullbuster @dashrendar44

Thinking of emigrating to Germany or the EU in general eventually. Don't have a college degree though. Would I have to be some Nobel Laureate to be accepted?

Just looked it up, and apparently I would probably have to renounce my American citizenship to be a German citizen. Not the case in France, though.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AJG said:

At 2 months and 2 weeks is Captain Marvel the fastest major blockbuster to have a home video release? 

I remember when you’d have to wait 5-6 months before a movie hit DVD’s.

I think here its still 6 months, might to have to check that

8 hours ago, DAR said:

I remember when you’d have to wait at least a year for a home video release. 

I think it was the minimum, but some smaller ones got first released many years later (and some are still not released)

8 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Yes.  

Does anyone know the timing in the 80's/early 90's of the various release windows?  

Theatrical

Rental

Home Video

I am only sure about them giving TV-airing a minimum waiting time of 2 years, I think there were a lot of varinces per distributors too.

Or deciding only to release it later on, if a movie or TV-series had good sale numbers they started to look into the dubbed versions

Partly funny conditions, like the German version of 13th Warrior only having the German audio, or if English got added, with annoyingly bad/big added German subtitles, as that was a cheaper licence than the one with English subtitles (other distributor within Europe holding those rights and such)

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Thinking of emigrating to Germany or the EU in general eventually. Don't have a college degree though. Would I have to be some Nobel Laureate to be accepted?

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Just looked it up, and apparently I would probably have to renounce my American citizenship to be a German citizen. Not the case in France, though.

France has other kind of ties to certain other countries, might be the reason they are more open to double citizenship?

Not sure how absolute that rule is, I know there are people here in Germany who have more than one, But those are within the other European countries.

If you get a French one, you would not need a German one to live and work here, that is one of the main points of the EU

But if you would not revoke your US citizenship: the US is only one of two countries worldwide that does not respect you having paid your taxes in the county you work in already and forces you to pay again your income taxes with no calculations of what was paid already (100%).

I think I heard the US does not make it simple for its citizens, like what happens with the wish of coming back for a year or so for reasons = definitively need to look into that theme very very closely .

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

France has other kind of ties to certain other countries, might be the reason they are more open to double citizenship?

Not sure how absolute that rule is, I know there are people here in Germany who have more than one, But those are within the other European countries.

If you get a French one, you would not need a German one to live and work here, that is one of the main points of the EU

But if you would not revoke your US citizenship: the US is only one of two countries worldwide that does not respect you having paid your taxes in the county you work in already and forces you to pay again your income taxes with no calculations of what was paid already (100%).

I think I heard the US does not make it simple for its citizens, like what happens with the wish of coming back for a year or so for reasons = definitively need to look into that theme very very closely .

Yeah, I hear that if you renounce your us citizenship, you can't go back to the USA for more than 30 days at a time. Might not be an issue if my mother has passed on. But I truly dislike most of.my.home country.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Terry Gilliam renounced his us citizenship, and this is what happened:

As a result of renouncing his citizenship, Gilliam was permitted to spend 30 days each year in the US over the next 10 years, "less than any European".[97]

And that is, what I call small mindedness of the government, like to punish someone who dares to go.

On 5/30/2018 at 8:05 PM, aabattery said:

Some dude at my university handed me a free book called Wild Animus.

It's a full-on hard cover book and they're just handing them out. Further investigation has revealed that this isn't an isolated thing.

https://litreactor.com/columns/what-the-hell-is-wild-animus

This is wild. Some rich dude just self published his wack-ass book and they've spread out across the whole world.

Well holy shit. This is why I prefer gatekeepers to self publishing.

Sad to hear cannastop wants to leave his country. But I'm starting to feel the same about mine. I can't stand what's been done by our new alt-right government and I'm growing more disgusted at people who voted for it. I'm feeling anxious and depressed like never before. I never considered leaving Brazil because I always loved my country but I'm starting to hate it. They're now approving laws that will allow anyone to own guns. That's it for me.

6 hours ago, cannastop said:

I don't know about Germany or other EU countries (I can emigrate wherever I want in the EU as EU citizen) but in France we get many immigrants without even a high school degree so you can give it a try.

The best thing for you would be to find a job wherever you want to emigrate, it's much easier for you to be accepted if you show this kind of "good will" if you understand what I mean, speaking the local language is a huge plus as well but not compulsory.

PS: I warmly welcome Americans and brazilians wanting to flee their neonazi governments and believe in European values, it's always a plus for our EU nations to have open-minded individuals.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Sad to hear cannastop wants to leave his country. But I'm starting to feel the same about mine. I can't stand what's been done by our new alt-right government and I'm growing more disgusted at people who voted for it. I'm feeling anxious and depressed like never before. I never considered leaving Brazil because I always loved my country but I'm starting to hate it. They're now approving laws that will allow anyone to own guns. That's it for me.

My feelings aren't even necessarily about Trump. I probably won't have enough money to move even if he's reelected.

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I don't know about Germany or other EU countries (I can emigrate wherever I want in the EU as EU citizen) but in France we get many immigrants without even a high school degree so you can give it a try.

The best thing for you would be to find a job wherever you want to emigrate, it's much easier for you to be accepted if you show this kind of "good will" if you understand what I mean, speaking the local language is a huge plus as well but not compulsory.

PS: I warmly welcome Americans and brazilians wanting to flee their neonazi governments and believe in European values, it's always a plus for our EU nations to have open-minded individuals.

I thought you had to know French to pass the citizenship test.

Honestly I was thinking of perhaps moving to the EU after I accumulated wealth, but I don't know how that works either.

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I thought you had to know French to pass the citizenship test.

Honestly I was thinking of perhaps moving to the EU after I accumulated wealth, but I don't know how that works either.

To become a citizen yes it's necessary to know French and some important facts about French culture/history but if you just want to emigrate there that's not really necessary. Still, finding a job without speaking French at all is gonna be hard unless you graduated in finance/science/engineering...People in France are notoriously poorly skilled when it comes to English and other foreign languages.

Edited by Fullbuster

@Fullbuster @dashrendar44

https://www.thelocal.fr/20160209/the-11-americans-youll-meet-in-france

City of Love. City of Lights. In the eyes of a Paris-Obsessed, Paris can do no wrong. They often spout wistful romanticisms such as “Paris is most beautiful in the rain,” or “This is the best city to get lost in”. Their view of the city is that kind of idealized “Sex and the City” version of Paris.

They happily ignore the city's flaws to live in the glamourized movie version of the city. They probably live in Montmartre and imagine themselves to be in a Woody Allen movie as they stroll the cobble-stoned streets listening to Françoise Hardy. Don’t expect them to ever venture into La France Profonde (“Deep France”).

What flaws?