Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

9 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I would feel bad if Laika couldn't make movies anymore, but Travis Knight is going to do fine in any case.

It wouldn't be too difficult for Laika to find another distributor. I think if Laika could find another revenue model to subsidy the movies then they could survive.

3 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It wouldn't be too difficult for Laika to find another distributor. I think if Laika could find another revenue model to subsidy the movies then they could survive.

What about the budgets of their movies compared to how much money they make? Missing Link was kind of a bomb. Unless Phil Knight or some big studio just wants to bankroll them Citizen Kane style, they might have some issues.

Edited by cannastop

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

What about the budgets of their movies compared to how much money they make? Missing Link was kind of a bomb. Unless Phil Knight or some big studio just wants to bankroll them Citizen Kane style, they might have some issues.

You have to look at Aardman which supplement their TV and film business with other things like making commercials or licensing. Laika's film only model isn't sustainable and I think branching out could help them in the long run.

Megan Ellison (and by extension Annapurna) is a net good in this industry and I don't really care whether she's a rich daddy's girl or not. It's just another example in a long, long history of art being supported by rich patrons.

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

You have to look at Aardman which supplement their TV and film business with other things like making commercials or licensing. Laika's film only model isn't sustainable and I think branching out could help them in the long run.

Well Laika used to do that, until HouseSpecial spun off.

6 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Megan Ellison (and by extension A24) is a net good in this industry and I don't really care whether she's a rich daddy's girl or not. It's just another example in a long, long history of art being supported by rich patrons.

Well that history was kind of interrupted a little bit in the 19th and 20th centuries. There are some grants by rich people of course, but they don't usually sustain a whole living.

I don't think Ellison has anything to do with A24?

Edited by cannastop

The Annapurna situation is unfortunate but hardly surprising (bleeding money and not making a single cent isn't gonna keep you afloat for very long as a company). At least their legacy will be much better than other nonstarters this decade like Relativity Media or Clarius Entertainment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well that history was kind of interrupted a little bit in the 19th and 20th centuries. There are some grants by rich people of course, but they don't usually sustain a whole living.

I don't think Ellison has anything to do with A24?

Brainfart, I meant Annapurna, I'll edit. :lol: 

28 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Got a free trail of Amazon Prime so I could binge watch The Boys. Still got 25 days left. What other good shows are worth binging on it?

Homecoming is probably the best Prime original imo.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Got a free trail of Amazon Prime so I could binge watch The Boys. Still got 25 days left. What other good shows are worth binging on it?

Man in the High Castle

The Expanse

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Huh. Didn't realize Skydance was also run by a child of Larry Ellison. Dude's not just a billionaire, he's a $66 billion guy.

I wonder: Do these kids have to come up with some kind of business plan or do they just get film studios for their birthday?

Just now, AJG said:

I wonder: Do these kids have to come up with some kind of business plan or do they just get film studios for their birthday?

Ellison gave 1B to his daughter for her 20 or Sweet 18.

I think she paid most of the Anapurna films and stars from her own pocket.

5 minutes ago, AJG said:

Well in the case of Travis Knight, he already was gainfully employed at a stop motion studio (so I guess that's honest work) and then his rich dad invested in it.

Travis Knight did try to be a rapper before this lol.

Edited by cannastop

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Well in the case of Travis Knight, he already was gainfully employed at a stop motion studio (so I guess that's honest work) and then his rich dad invested in it.

Travis Knight did try to be a rapper before this lol.