Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

4 hours ago, Eric Atreides said:

@TMP

Berlanti's power (edit: wait this is one DC show he didn't produce? lol that explains why it was doomed). Although I assume this is just to fill a slot in their schedule in the fall since it's gonna be a while until new content comes in and not to revive it.

And Quibi is a flop? Pearls are being clutched everywhere.

Edited by filmlover

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Berlanti's power (edit: wait this is one DC show he didn't produce? lol that explains why it was doomed). Although I assume this is just to fill a slot in their schedule in the fall since it's gonna be a while until new content comes in and not to revive it.

And Quibi is a flop? Pearls are being clutched everywhere.

FOX slotted LA's Finest, a Spectrum Original to air this fall, while CW is also expected to air two seasons of a no1curr CBS All Access show that got canceled recently.

Don't be surprised if that Mad About You revival nobody watched comes to NBC this fall.

11 minutes ago, Eric Atreides said:

FOX slotted LA's Finest, a Spectrum Original to air this fall, while CW is also expected to air two seasons of a no1curr CBS All Access show that got canceled recently.

Don't be surprised if that Mad About You revival nobody watched comes to NBC this fall.

For sure. Networks are about to become desperate. 

How bad is the outlook for musical theatre for this to happen?

‘Hamilton’ Course Change: Disney Sets July 3 Streaming Release For $75 Million Lin-Manuel Miranda Musical

https://deadline.com/2020/05/hamilton-movie-july-3-streming-release-disney-plus-75-million-lin-manuel-miranda-1202932220/

43 minutes ago, AJG said:

How bad is the outlook for musical theatre for this to happen?

‘Hamilton’ Course Change: Disney Sets July 3 Streaming Release For $75 Million Lin-Manuel Miranda Musical

https://deadline.com/2020/05/hamilton-movie-july-3-streming-release-disney-plus-75-million-lin-manuel-miranda-1202932220/

I assume they came to the realization this wasn't gonna make much money due to niche appeal and everyone was gonna wait for the actual movie adaptation (which I assume Disney also has the rights to, since LMM is their second favorite person these days behind Josh Gad) so might as well put it out there.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I assume they came to the realization this wasn't gonna make much money due to niche appeal and everyone was gonna wait for the actual movie adaptation (which I assume Disney also has the rights to, since LMM is their second favorite person these days behind Josh Gad) so might as well put it out there.

But what about the actual stage production? Will people pay to watch a show they can see better at home?

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

an actual Hamilton movie would be a dud i think. half the songs are written like "and then in 1780 i did this, and then he did this" which sells on the stage but isn't cinematic.

We obviously need Tom Hooper to make it cinematic.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also, August is when all the 1 year early subscribers can cancel...so I expect some real big releases (like this one) to hit D+ in the 1-6 weeks before cancellation, to keep them "in" another year...

15 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

an actual Hamilton movie would be a dud i think. half the songs are written like "and then in 1780 i did this, and then he did this" which sells on the stage but isn't cinematic.

In my head it almost works if done in like a documentary interview/reenactment style, but it could also be a total disaster

58 minutes ago, AJG said:

But what about the actual stage production? Will people pay to watch a show they can see better at home?

Phantom has perhaps produced multiple live recordings (in addition to the film adaptation) over the decades and continues to make money on stage. For those unable to see the original cast this is the easiest way.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

The guy arguing that the Ozark would be better on Quibi... 

I signed up for the 90 day trial and watched a few of their launch titles. The best thing they have are the daily news capsules which genuinely work with the short time where they tell us the main stories within 5-10 minutes with no talking heads or any nonsense.

None of their actual content was any good. The thing that comes closest to working is Dishmantled which is a cooking show where they dismantle a dish and shoot it at the cooks and they have to guess what it is and cook it. It works because it cuts all the stuff we don't like about cooking shows and its premise is so crazy that anything beyond like 7 minutes would have been stretching it.

All other content was varying levels of Meh. I watched Most Dangerous Game which started off well and then just meandered forever never actually giving us much of what was promised by the premise. It felt like a movie cut down into 8 minute chunks but without anything actually building from episode to episode. 

Disabling screen recording and screenshots definitely hurt them as people couldn't share stuff. As someone noted online, if they had included a gif maker built in, it would have been worth so much in free advertising by people trying to make stuff into memes.

They really didn't think the value proposition of the service through at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Theater is deader than dead and I can’t see how it starts up again until we’re SK-level efficiency of tests and tracing (or there’s a vaccine). 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Theater is deader than dead and I can’t see how it starts up again until we’re SK-level efficiency of tests and tracing (or there’s a vaccine). 

Not surprising after it was more or less announced the Tony Awards aren't happening this year. I guess next year's show will cover two years worth of shows since some of this year's buzzier productions (like Joe Mantello's Virginia Woolf revival with Laurie Metcalf) were cancelled and any new productions won't take place until early next year in all likelihood.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

I signed up for the 90 day trial and watched a few of their launch titles. The best thing they have are the daily news capsules which genuinely work with the short time where they tell us the main stories within 5-10 minutes with no talking heads or any nonsense.

None of their actual content was any good. The thing that comes closest to working is Dishmantled which is a cooking show where they dismantle a dish and shoot it at the cooks and they have to guess what it is and cook it. It works because it cuts all the stuff we don't like about cooking shows and its premise is so crazy that anything beyond like 7 minutes would have been stretching it.

All other content was varying levels of Meh. I watched Most Dangerous Game which started off well and then just meandered forever never actually giving us much of what was promised by the premise. It felt like a movie cut down into 8 minute chunks but without anything actually building from episode to episode. 

Disabling screen recording and screenshots definitely hurt them as people couldn't share stuff. As someone noted online, if they had included a gif maker built in, it would have been worth so much in free advertising by people trying to make stuff into memes.

They really didn't think the value proposition of the service through at all.

I just don't get Quibi's hook. Who in their right mind said to themselves: "Movies and TV shows are too long. I wish there was a streaming service I could only watch on my phone, there's no legacy content I'm familiar with or would want to watch, and everything was divided into 5-10 minutes of content." At least Apple TV+ has full-length shows.

YouTube already has short-form content available, and it's completely free to watch and enjoy. And if you're killing to see celebrities in this kind of crap, clips from Fallon and Corden's shows racks up millions, and people like Will Smith and John Krasinski have their own YouTube channels that also rack up millions.

I just...I just don't get the appeal here.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Not surprising after it was more or less announced the Tony Awards aren't happening this year. I guess next year's show will cover two years worth of shows since some of this year's buzzier productions (like Joe Mantello's Virginia Woolf revival with Laurie Metcalf) were cancelled and any new productions won't take place until early next year in all likelihood.

Yeah, I just don’t see how it can effectively be done, at least for the near future. Maybe if you quarantined the entire production cast and crew and kept them in dorm-style living, separated from

their families? But who would want to do that?

1 minute ago, Eric Atreides said:

I just don't get Quibi's hook. Who in their right mind said to themselves: "Movies and TV shows are too long. I wish there was a streaming service I could only watch on my phone, there's no legacy content I'm familiar with or would want to watch, and everything was divided into 5-10 minutes of content." At least Apple TV+ has full-length shows.

YouTube already has short-form content available, and it's completely free to watch and enjoy. And if you're killing to see celebrities in this kind of crap, clips from Fallon and Corden's shows racks up millions, and people like Will Smith and John Krasinski have their own YouTube channels that also rack up millions.

I just...I just don't get the appeal here.

It was designed for exactly ONE media market - NYC. The idea, as Katzenberg keeps mentioning, is that people can catch up on episodes during their 15-30 minute subway commute where there is no wifi since the episodes can download to phone. It was literally designed in a bubble forgetting that the vast vast majority of people commute to work via driving where they listen to podcasts as opposed to watching stuff on their phone.

• Like 1