Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

It might show up as a tweet about Roku, ignore it.

I LOVE Avatar but I am not really excited so far. Then again, I you're in the know, this isn't news, just finally officially announced. I hope Nick has the sense Disney didn't with Star Wars and doesn't try to shove half-baked movies at us once every other year. If I see the 3rd movie in 8 years, I'm fine.

Spoiler

One is rumored to be Zuko's past pre-banishment, and I can't personally imagine wanting to see that, because it's about 70% covered in comics and the show.

Edited by Morieris

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

@Cap@CJohn

I am so not surprised.

I admit, I never could get into the WWF anyway, I like my sports to be competivie, you know, where the outcome is not fixed in advancem and I found the theatrics more annoying then amusing.

And that the WWE is not as popular as it once was; people have gotten tired of the act and with MMF and other more legitmate sports providing WWF type action  without the phony theatrics is a reason for what seems to be a move to out McMahon.

Edited by dudalb

Anyone here familiar with investing? Got my first job this month and my payday is coming soon and hoping to invest some of my money. No clue where and when to start, espescially with this recession talk. Tried looking on the internet and I just got more confused. So would be great if anyone got any tips or advice on what to do.

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Anyone here familiar with investing? Got my first job this month and my payday is coming soon and hoping to invest some of my money. No clue where and when to start, espescially with this recession talk. Tried looking on the internet and I just got more confused. So would be great if anyone got any tips or advice on what to do.

16 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

If this is your first paycheck, don’t start investing yet. Build up some capital and then we can talk.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

depending on where you are, and what bank or credit Union you use, they should provide some on site consulting or “wealth management”. They can talk to you about savings, CDs, IRAs; etc. 

And usually they can talk to you about if you want to look at individual stocks, or if you want to do some type of bulk buy. The other thing that I would say about investing is you need to think long term. Because with the way that everything’s going right now we’re gonna have some pretty volatile markets. So don’t invest anything that you’re not willing to lose. And understand that well your investments hopefully will grow overtime, you might be waiting five, 10, 20 years to really see it.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ZurgXXR said:

If this is your first paycheck, don’t start investing yet. Build up some capital and then we can talk.

It's a summer internship and I won't be getting any income for another year after this. Was thinking of investing once I finish my internship just cuz I don't really have much else to do with it atm and I don't have much to spend it on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Well... I guess you could ask a financial planner (which I was educated as).

Try to find one who says "fee-only" that means they don't take commissions.

Though this also depends on how much money you're making and how much you have and I don't know your situation.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Well... I guess you could ask a financial planner (which I was educated as).

Try to find one who says "fee-only" that means they don't take commissions.

Though this also depends on how much money you're making and how much you have and I don't know your situation.

Like I said before, it's just money I'm being paid from a summer internship. Probably gonna finish with 10k after tax. Most of it is going to end up being unused anyways (since I'm still financially dependent on my parents) so I'm just looking to invest some of my money for fun and experiment and try to learn something about investing before I start getting serious about it when I do get a proper job and become financially independent in a few years. Most of my friends are investing in S&P 500 but idk if that's a good idea with the recession and everything.

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Like I said before, it's just money I'm being paid from a summer internship. Probably gonna finish with 10k after tax. Most of it is going to end up being unused anyways (since I'm still financially dependent on my parents) so I'm just looking to invest some of my money for fun and experiment and try to learn something about investing before I start getting serious about it when I do get a proper job and become financially independent in a few years. Most of my friends are investing in S&P 500 but idk if that's a good idea with the recession and everything.

The S&P 500 will always be your best option for long term, reliable returns. The only way you'll lose if you stay in it is if the US literally fails. If that happens, well then it doesn't really matter what you're invested in. I would suggest an ETF (exchange traded fund) like VOO, IVV or SPLG (these are their stock tickers.) 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ZurgXXR said:

The S&P 500 will always be your best option for long term, reliable returns. The only way you'll lose if you stay in it is if the US literally fails. If that happens, well then it doesn't really matter what you're invested in. I would suggest an ETF (exchange traded fund) like VOO, IVV or SPLG (these are their stock tickers.) 

What if I'm looking at something short term (high risk, high reward kind of thing)? Just wanna see what kinda returns I get on those funds from investing small amounts. Tried looking through r/wallstreetbets for tips on that but those guys all speak in another language or something. Did see some of them mention some ETFs like UVXY.

12 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

What if I'm looking at something short term (high risk, high reward kind of thing)? Just wanna see what kinda returns I get on those funds from investing small amounts. Tried looking through r/wallstreetbets for tips on that but those guys all speak in another language or something. Did see some of them mention some ETFs like UVXY.

Yea it's a futures ETF. As far as ETF's go it's pretty volatile but if you want real high risk, high reward then buy some penny stocks. You could double or lose it all in one day ;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grim22 said:

George Perez, Neal Adams and now Tim Sale. Creators of some iconic Batman images and comic images in general gone within a month. RIP

The Long Halloween is my favorite Batman story.   Such a bummer.

8 hours ago, ZurgXXR said:

Yea it's a futures ETF. As far as ETF's go it's pretty volatile but if you want real high risk, high reward then buy some penny stocks. You could double or lose it all in one day ;) 

The fact someone new to investing is asking about investing in UVXY has to be one of the biggest sell signals I have ever seen. This crash is going to be insane.