Finnick

Weekend Thread | Estimates: T:R 57.08M, DH2 29.65M, MOTOE 28.68M, ABMC 11.47M, 32.4K PTA for Lady Bird (Deadline, p.46) | The box office is good again!

There's been this big critical re-evaluation of Passion of the Christ where everyone on Film Twitter is all "Controversy aside, Passion was a beautifully shot film with thought provoking revelations about faith and endurance>" Fuck that, it's an anti-Semitic Hostel with good cinematography. Fuck Mel Bison.

just to be clear i don't dislike hacksaw ridge but it's not good. it's super goofy. mel gibson has always been the world's goofiest director and he and his fans think he's the most serious and intense or whatever but that's what makes it fun. i don't outright dislike anything from him directing wise.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I still haven't gotten around to Fences/Lion/Hidden Figures, but Hacksaw was the weakest of last year's nominees by a pretty decent margin.

fences great

lion half pretty good half a yawner

hidden figures pretty good but should've been a miniseries or something. janelle monae's storyline was pretty interesting but it's so truncated to like three scenes. same with octavia spencer's really. cut from getting one book on computing to being the total expert like immediately. no no no. 

• Like 1

Oh shit we ranking the Best Pic Noms?

1. Moonlight

2. La La Land

3. Hell or High Water

4. Manchester By The Sea (But fuck Casey Affleck tho)

5. Lion

6. Fences (Denzel Washington is the greatest man alive)

7. Arrival

8. Hidden Figures

9. Hacksaw Ridge

Edited by Cmasterclay

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hot take: The insane lovefest for Hacksaw Ridge here/Oscars was weird not just because Mel Gibson is a creep, but because that movie is outright BAD outside of the second half war scenes. Like a creaky faith-based movie you find out later is bankrolled by Sean Hannity. It was like Same Kind of Different As Me outside the war stuff. Not good, corny as hell. The battle scenes are real and intense as hell, though. The best I've seen war scenes done maybe. He's good at that stuff. Maybe when he said we were responsible for all the wars in the world he meant it as a compliment!

IMO and all that before anyone freaks out on me, obviously.

It is the same for apocolypto..

The scenes that showed the civilization where amazing but the other parts were very whatever.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

There's been this big critical re-evaluation of Passion of the Christ where everyone on Film Twitter is all "Controversy aside, Passion was a beautifully shot film with thought provoking revelations about faith and endurance>" Fuck that, it's an anti-Semitic Hostel with good cinematography. Fuck Mel Bison.

Passion of The Christ was one of the most watched and followed box office runs as I remember.

The film generated so much controversy and there was a ton of mainstream attention whether the film would be a flop or a hit.

Whatever my opinion of the film it was a a crazy box office run.

Edited by Lordmandeep

3 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

Corny doesn't mean bad. 

IMO.

Not necessarily, but that shit wasn't just a little corny - which is fine- that shit was middle of Iowa during harvest season. There's a limit.

I never gave my take on Hidden Figures. It has a great cast and alot of energy and it is an important propulsive movie about an important subject. But as a SJW liberal whatever, there is one scene that rings incredibly false to me. Why the hell did they give their big inspirational moment of the entire movie to Kevin Costner's old white guy? he gets to give the huge inspirational monologue about us all being equal, and boom! racism is solved. Just super duper tone deaf. Made it into one of those movies that were supposed to make white people feel okay about our ability to not be racist, instead of actually being about lasting systemic racism.

• Like 1