WrathOfHan

The Super Mario Bros. Movie | Universal/Illumination | April 5, 2023 | Chris Pratt is Mario, Charlie Day is Luigi, Anya Taylor-Joy is Peach | The most profitable movie of 2023

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

Anot6her Medicore at best Illumination movie that will make a lot of money at the box office.

I think it will make a lot of money, but won't jump start the Video Game genre. You need to do more then make money for that to happen. You have to reach beyond the core audience...and from the reviews this won't do that.

The video game curse have always been about low box office tho first and foremost (that’s why there haven’t been many adaptations because it’s just not commercially viable on top of bad reviews). The movies are not well received critically AND commercially unsuccessful.

Although you could say the genre has already started as RT scores have improved but box office still couldn’t clear 500M WW until…now. The sonic movies were successful but still not a big blockbuster.

Edited by OceanBlvd

May need to wait to look at the verified RT audience score until after more screenings have completed. Midnight screening audience is going to skew crazy positive since it will be primarily hardcore Mario fans going out that late (early?), still expecting A/A- regardless.

Edited by datpepper

I'm kind of expecting good audience scores from this, but I also think you need to wait for people who'll be more generalized. Anyone going out to the (very selective and not in every theater) pure midnight showings is a diehard Mario fan who will not be the average person.

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

This is a fair point tbh

Seeing a lot of “old critics don’t play Mario” on twitter. Eh, so Mario game fans will be more objective? 😂

The reviews aren’t as bad as they first looked by the way, 55% is just mixed. 

Also mario video games are almost half a century old. Many of these ‘old critics’ grew up playing the damn things. In theory this should appeal to them as much as anyone. 

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Also mario video games are almost half a century old. Many of these ‘old critics’ grew up playing the damn things. In theory this should appeal to them as much as anyone. 

The problem is not that it don’t appeal to them. It’s the movie itself may not be good 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

This is a fair point tbh

Seeing a lot of “old critics don’t play Mario” on twitter. Eh, so Mario game fans will be more objective? 😂

The reviews aren’t as bad as they first looked by the way, 55% is just mixed. 

This is perfect.

If the movie is only enjoyed by those who are already big fans of the characters and games and who went in desperate to be fed some memberberries and it has nothing to offer anyone who isn't.....then by any objective standard it's pretty definitively a bad movie that nevertheless will garner success based on the huge pre-existing consumer base. 

We're going to get two weeks of "Critics don't understand audiences, WAAAAAAH!" from the same people who two weeks later are going to whinge that the general audiences are a bunch of mindless sheep.

And in three years time everyone will just accept this was a mundane crappy movie just as is now starting to happen with the meh Sonic movie everyone spent boundless energy claiming was astonishingly good.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

This is perfect.

If the movie is only enjoyed by those who are already big fans of the characters and games and who went in desperate to be fed some memberberries and it has nothing to offer anyone who isn't.....then by any objective standard it's pretty definitively a bad movie that nevertheless will garner success based on the huge pre-existing consumer base. 

We're going to get two weeks of "Critics don't understand audiences, WAAAAAAH!" from the same people who two weeks later are going to whinge that the general audiences are a bunch of mindless sheep.

And in three years time everyone will just accept this was a mundane crappy movie just as is now starting to happen with the meh Sonic movie everyone spent boundless energy claiming was astonishingly good.

being brutally honest though, the Super Mario games are as much a part of people’s DNA as Star Wars.  For those bystanders that have never really played video games, oh well - you missed out. They didn’t make this for you. 

I am absolutely delighted they haven’t pandered to those that don’t ‘know Mario’. Why waste time on them and miss out on being a one-off blast aimed at the millions of people that are into it.  Usually these things are watered down and I’m so pleased it hasn’t been. 

that said, I haven’t seen it yet.  I’m pleased with the complaints I’ve seen though. Set pieces made out of entire worlds and sections I’ve spent hours playing over the years - sounds amazing. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

This is perfect.

As for Sonic, it was better than expected but no way close to being as Sonic as it could have been - not confident in setting it in its own world and characters. It was 20% Sonic, where as this looks 100% Super Mario. 

Call me a fanboy coper or whatever, but I don’t understand the overreaction to everyone saying that this movie has been “trashed” by critics.

It really hasn’t. The majority of RT critics liked it and a plurality of MC critics gave it a positive review (as opposed to negative OR mixed). It’s really not the end of the world.

Edited by superduperm
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Call me a fanboy coper or whatever, but I don’t understand the overreaction to everyone saying that this movie has been “trashed” by critics.

It really hasn’t. The majority of RT critics liked it and a plurality of MC critics gave it a positive review (as opposed to negative OR mixed). It’s really not the end of the world.

I think after how great march was for movies and box office people just expected more from Mario quality wise. I mean, let’s be honest these are the same critics that gave good reviews to creed, scream, John Wick, dungeons and dragons and gave mixed to bad reviews to Ant Man and Shazam. So I think it’s safe to say that their opinion have matched up pretty well with the general audience. Mario might just be a movie the fans and kids enjoy. Like Twilight and Tramsformers.

Edited by PrinceRico
  • Like 1