DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

3 hours ago, Fancyarcher said:

I kinda love how we're still beating down the same BVS / CW arguments again and again, just as another comic book movie is opening. Ah BOT never change. 

At least they're not talking about MOS's devestation.

Ya if you told me this was opening below GOTG last week... good on you because that is crazy but that is what's happening! This is turning out quite similar to POTC Stranger Tides. I would have thought Thor's hold would have been stronger too considering the lower opening for JL but they must be cannibalising each other from opening so close.

Truly great numbers for Wonder, Lady Bird and Three Billboards which are looking at pretty tidy runs for the rest of the year

Unless there are any other successful OS territories like Brazil I think JL may only do $650-700M WW which is unbelievable for the line-up on-screen

Is it now possible this may miss $200M DOM???!!!

3 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am not sure if people agree with this but I find Civil War is likely marvels most divisive film lately?

Ask friends and family randomly... to it was stupid, to its marvels best really. 

Well it's the only thing that explains the legs.  Critics liked it more then auds.

7 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

At least they're not talking about MOS's devestation.

How did Bruce get back to Gotham?

5 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

AOU was a big let down at the time.

Maybe Snakes on a Plane?

If we're going by past superhero films then Superman Returns & Iron Man 2 (huge expectations), were both considered disappoints opening weekend. Those seem almost quaint now compared to Justice League though.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Just now, eddyxx said:

AOU was a big let down at the time.

Maybe Snakes on a Plane?

I predicted AOU's final total within like 20 million, its drop was expected based on history

This is... unexpected

And Snakes on a Plane was a meme not a movie

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WB did itself in 2 ways. 

1: the godawful shitty marketing for JL. Part of the reason I was sitting in the theatre during previews thinking "please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck" was because the trailers, while fine (I guess) on their own, made it look like the movie would, well, suck. No hook other than "team-up!" which is becoming a "been there done that". A few good lines from Ezra Miller ain't gonna sell your movie, sorry WB.

2: Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman had something of their own; they looked like their own movies. This didn't feel like DCEU's "Justice League", this looked like BvS 2. And yea, BvS may not be the steaming pile of shit people say. It's bad, but it's not The Room or anything. And people aren't going to want to check out a part 2 for something that left a bad taste the last time. Unless there was a hook, and I guess there wasn't good enough of one.

Honestly, I hope this can save some face until Star Wars. Having this open the week before thanksgiving makes me pretty confident that this could do close to a 2.5 multiplier. 220-240M is where it should end up... I hope.

• Like 1

Also Wonder was fucking great. Loved it. Go see it really, this is Tremblay's rise to stardom beyond the inner movie fan circle who saw Room. This thing is gonna gross 120-150M domestic mark my words.

• Like 2

If it does $90m-$93m...I'm expecting no more than $225m at best. I think $210m is where it'll land.

This movie is gonna end up doing no more than $650m worldwide. It won't crack the top 100 worldwide. Let that sink in for a moment.

Just now, eXtacy said:

The most disappointing thing this weekend is Justice League may bring Thor 3 below a 300m domestic finish. That would suck.

Nah it's still on track for like 320