DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

45 minutes ago, forg said:

Why not earlier? It opens Nov 22 here :)

I'm going to watch JL again on that weekend with my relatives. Also, it's my friend's son's birthday on December 2, and I plan to take him to the movies and watch COCO either on to November 30 or December 2. I'll try to find a way to see WONDER. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Didn’t Dr Strange have much better 2nd and 3rd weekend holds than Thor 3 anyway? 

Dr Strange 2nd weekend was 40’s, 3rd weekend 50’s. Thor 3 is 2nd weekend 50’s and a sharp 64% drop this weekend. 

Where did you pull that 64% from? 

And for my sanity's sake don't imply that a 53.5 is a sharp drop against a 49.5 (40s lol huh), especially when the first had a much bigger opening.

1 minute ago, Rumpot said:

I'm just hoping this weekend comes in above July 7-9 which would be second biggest of the year (behind March 17-19) despite JL coming so far under expectations.  

I think next weekend is bound to since it'll be a long holiday weekend. FWIW I think Coco is doing high $60M at least for the 5-day frame and that Wonder's 3-day drop will be sub-10% (maybe even sub-5%).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

No.

DS 2nd weekend: -49,5%

Ragnarok 2nd weekend: -53,5%

DS 3rd weekend: -58,7%

Ragnarok 3rd weekend: -61/62%

When you consider Thor opened $37m higher with a 60% higher preview than Strange - then faced direct genre competition and other films that amounted to about $50m+ more in openings than Strange faced it's 3rd w/e -  I wouldn't be surprised if it held better next w/e than Strange

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think next weekend is bound to since it'll be a long holiday weekend. FWIW I think Coco is doing high $60M at least for the 5-day frame and that Wonder's 3-day drop will be sub-10% (maybe even sub-5%).

Agreed.  This one should come just above SMH weekend too (top 12 then was 200.7M). Next should be more comfortably above 200M depending on Coco which I also expect will do quite well.  

13 hours ago, Rebeccas said:

are you from WB's PR department or something. cause otherwise there is literally no reason for you to be this invested.

I'm actually a neutral party here. The reason i look like a "WB homer" is that so many around here are obviously DCU haters, so to them, anyone who isn't also a hater is a homer. 

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

13 hours ago, John Marston said:

youre too too obsessed with losing money. Losing money or not these are bad numbers for this  film 

In what way shape or form? 

There are only two real issues here. First is the film making or not making money. Second is franchise-building. The first is obviously important, as any study wants a positive ROI in a film. I also agree that even if a film makes money, if its purpose was also to set up a long-run franchise of sequels, and tepid performance kills the sequels, then that hurts too.

BUT, there's no danger of the latter with a film involving Batman or Superman. They are literally bullet-proof in the sense that no matter even if a film of theirs tanks financially, the characters are so well-known and liked by the public that WB can always just do a re-boot and the public will give it a chance. 

So since there's never any permanent/long run damage done, with a film like JL it all boils down to whether the film made money.

12 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Ah, yes, because WB was hoping for "to early to tell" if they will make back their investment. Look how low the bar has been set.

If the question is if JL would make any money, and not how much of a profit it would turn, then the battle is already lost for WB.

What battle is lost? You think if this film loses money, that WB can't make another Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman movie that will make money? That it kills the whole DC franchise? 

That's silly, they can always just re-boot these eternally-popular characters, so the only issue here is if the film makes money, and the jury is still out on that.

7 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

I'm actually a neutral party here. The reason i look like a "WB homer" is that so many around here are obviously DCU haters, so to them, anyone who isn't also a hater is a homer. 

Turns out that people in a forum about movies and box office hated terrible movies.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

BUT, there's no danger of the latter with a film involving Batman or Superman. They are literally bullet-proof in the sense that no matter even if a film of theirs tanks financially, the characters are so well-known and liked by the public that WB can always just do a re-boot and the public will give it a chance. 

This is, quite literally, a film involving Batman and Superman, that looks to be tanking. And the point isn't to be rebooting endlessly. Would you call The Amazing Spider-Man series a success?

4 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

What battle is lost? You think if this film loses money, that WB can't make another Superman or Batman or Wonder Woman movie that will make money? That it kills the whole DC franchise? 

That's silly, they can always just re-boot these eternally-popular characters, so the only issue here is if the film makes money, and the jury is still out on that.

Because success in Hollywood is needing to reboot your property because of critical and financial loss. Got it. Glad we cleared that up. I didn't know that Amazing Spider Man 2 was a success story!