DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

Because success in Hollywood is needing to reboot your property because of critical and financial loss. Got it. Glad we cleared that up. I didn't know that Amazing Spider Man 2 was a success story!

It's not a success to have to re-boot, but it's not necessarily a failure either. WB re-booted Batman in 2005 after the 1997 Batman and Robin disaster, and that resulted in three massively popular money making machines that set up the current DCU. A re-boot is just making another movie.

With properties like Batman and Superman, there's no long-run damage done if a given film loses money. That film losing money is a loss, but without longer-run ramifications. 

12 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

This is, quite literally, a film involving Batman and Superman, that looks to be tanking. And the point isn't to be rebooting endlessly. Would you call The Amazing Spider-Man series a success?

They weren't successes compared to the massive success of the 2002 - 2007 trilogy, but YES, they were successes, even the second film grossed over $700m WW and made a profit for Sony. 

And they are actually a good example of what I'm talking about: Despite forum criticisms, especially of AS2, what long-run damage was done? Zero. This year's Spider-man was a big success, critically and commercially, so the relatively tepid response to AS2 in 2014 caused zero damage to the franchise.

Again, because Spidey is an eternally-popular character. 

Now, if we're talking about something like Black Panther or Cyborg, the stakes are higher, because a failure -or even tepid success like AS2 - of a standalone film could very well kill franchise hopes.

Edited by SteveJaros

Just now, That One Guy said:

I mean that was so prominent in the book, the fuck were they supposed to do :lol: 

They could've easily found another sci-fi property to license (namely, Star Trek) if Disney hadn't budged. Or they could've gone the route WB did with IT and shamelessly promoted only other Lionsgate properties.

I think if JL manages a 93-95m weekend and can muster 30m from M-Thursday and a good hold over next weekend of 50m with the holiday, it should hit 250m finish. Still a very disappointing outcome, but could have been more disastrous. Maybe it can make 500 overseas, especially if it starts off with a strong 200m. 750m is far from 1b, but wouldn’t be a disaster. 

25 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:

Turns out that people in a forum about movies and box office hated terrible movies.

"Terrible" is a subjective opinion. Personally, I gave negative reviews to BvS and Suicide Squad, and on Friday gave Justice League a mostly negative, C+ rating. Has nothing to do with whether a film is, financially, a success or failure.

You may have hated BvS, but it did make a $100m profit for WB and Suicide Squad made a $160m profit, so they were successes despite my dislike of them.

We'll see what JL ends up doing. 

9 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

They weren't successes compared to the massive success of the 2002 - 2007 trilogy, but YES, they were successes, even the second film grossed over $700m WW and made a profit for Sony. 

And they are actually a good example of what I'm talking about: Despite forum criticisms, especially of AS2, what long-run damage was done? Zero. This year's Spider-man was a big success, critically and commercially, so the relatively tepid response to AS2 in 2014 caused zero damage to the franchise.

Again, because Spidey is an eternally-popular character. 

Now, if we're talking about something like Black Panther or Cyborg, the stakes are higher, because a failure -or even tepid success like AS2 - of a standalone film could very well kill franchise hopes.

Sony needed the MCU to come in and resuscitate Spider-Man.  You think WB will do the same for Batman and Superman?  :thinking:

Sure WB fixed Batman after their interfering ruined the franchise in the 1990s but the character required a hiatus of 8 years and it took another 3 after that to bring him back to the same success levels.  They still haven't figured out how to do the same for Superman  in over 35 years...  This is not the optimum way to deal with world famous gold mine IPs.

3 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

"Terrible" is a subjective opinion. Personally, I gave negative reviews to BvS and Suicide Squad, and on Friday gave Justice League a mostly negative, C+ rating. Has nothing to do with whether a film is, financially, a success or failure.

You may have hated BvS, but it did make a $100m profit for WB and Suicide Squad made a $160m profit, so they were successes despite my dislike of them.

We'll see what JL ends up doing. 

JL is definitely making a loss with 300m production budget alone. Probably a loss of around 100m

1 minute ago, eXtacy said:

JL is definitely making a loss with 300m production budget alone. Probably a loss of around 100m

Doubtful.  Even if it just hits $700m WW and doesn't make a profit with ancillaries it will make some with tie in merchandise

ASM2 cost $256m with another $150m+ in Marketing and still eventually made a profit with a $709m WW total and it didn't have merchandising rights except for the $30m Disney pay out.

2 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Guys Steve is just trying to save his job at WB come Monday morning!

So he better wear a shirt with the logo of Wonder Woman in front and IT on the back :sparta:

Edited by XO21