DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Not getting the lead to a blockbuster is not pariah status.  He made a dozen movies between 2003 and 2007 before he was cast as Iron Man.  He was cast by David Fincher is a $65m film in a major role.  RDJ definitely thought it was his shot at stardom and $ and he went for it but there are levels between pariah and superstar  - they're where most working actors reside.

I think that Iron Man was considered more of a risk because it was based off a superhero that few people knew of at the time, not that it starred Downey Jr. Downey Jr's involvement was considered risky because he had never headline a movie like that. He had been building-up to a major comeback, but at the time he was mostly showing up in mainstream fare in supporting roles. Iron Man really confirmed his comeback status more then anything. At least that's what I assumed anyway. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think that Iron Man was considered more of a risk because it was based off a superhero that few people knew of at the time, not that it starred Downey Jr. Downey Jr's involvement was considered risky because he had never headline a movie like that. He had been building-up to a major comeback, but at the time he was mostly showing up in mainstream fare in supporting roles. Iron Man really confirmed his comeback status more then anything. At least that's what I assumed anyway. 

Iron Man was a risk cause Marvel would've lost the movie rights to all their characters if it flopped (to some soulless investment firm).

That changes movie history quite a bit for decades.

13 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

But what does that even mean? 

Who they were working with was someone who -- for better or worse -- has made them a substantial amount of money over the years and (presumably) had sold them on his vision for the pseudo-trilogy.

Had he really sold them on his vision or were they stuck with him because production was starting in two weeks after BvS opened and they didn't want to pull the plug or delay it for a few months or even a year until they got a new director.  

Hell they wound up with him on MOS because he was a director who wasn't going to be overly fussy about the script (that other choices before him said needed work) since they needed to get the film into production because of the Superman lawsuit.

As for making them money, 300 did, Watchman didn't and MOS and BvS under-performed expectations. 

Edited by TalismanRing

I'm really curious what Snyder is gonna do next, after two mega crashing failures. And given his really bad track record before MoS, it would probably take a miracle for him to find a studio willing to hire him.

Edited by vc2002

Just now, grey ghost said:

Iron Man was a risk cause Marvel would've lost the movie rights to all their characters if it flopped (to some soulless investment firm).

That changes movie history quite a bit for decades.

That is correct. I think people often forget that as successful as the MCU is, had Iron Man flopped, it could have been over in the blink of an eye, and we may have never gotten The Avengers. It's fortunate that Iron Man turned out the way it did. Almost 10 years later and the MCU is as strong and as popular as ever. 

31 minutes ago, MrPink said:

If I'm being honest, I think I would have preferred seeing the Pure Snyder version, better or worse, that way I can assign all the blame on whomever.

Woulda been funnier tbh

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Snyder just needs to go back to doing uber stylized shit like Sucker Punch, 300, and Watchmen.  Why he was ever chosen to be the ring leader of a major comic book cinematic universe in the first place is baffling.

Yeah.. If you told me the guy who directed 300 will direct the Justice League I would've loled. It's like Tarantino direting Wonder Woman.

Anyway, this Connor dude said in the Snyder version of JL, Batman broke Lex fingers in prison. Would pay to see that.

• Like 1

Imo the irony is that Snyder would be perfect to make a movie on a C-grade Blank-man DCEU hero. He gets too enamored by the stature of heroes he is handling (which is fine) but his stubborn take on them pisses fans. But give him some less known hero that suits his sensibilities and he could give you something profitable like '300' of CBMs. I think his visual rendition of Watchmen alone should qualify him to handle a quirky line up of DCEU characters. Make lower budged (like '300') simpler eccentric movie without rubbing anyone the worng way. Stay away from Superman and such. He could strike silver if not gold with a Blank-man and make them prominent. Ayer did well with Quinn (who was not even an unknown character) even though SS sucked. Directors like that can give us a nice rendition of a character we weren't expecting to become prominent.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

Yeah.. If you told me the guy who directed 300 will direct the Justice League I would've loled. It's like Tarantino direting Wonder Woman.

Anyway, this Connor dude said in the Snyder version of JL, Batman broke Lex fingers in prison. Would pay to see that.

I just made a guttural noise imagining that. That's the Batman I missed. @Chewy

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

I'm really curious what Snyder is gonna do next, after two mega crashing failures. And given his really bad track record before MoS, it would probably take a miracle for him to find a studio willing to hire him.

I could see him getting hired...as Cinematographer or VFX supervisor. 

29 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I think it was more risky in the sense that he could've fallen off the wagon 2-3 years into this franchise and it would've been majorly fucked. He was fired from Ally McBeal after all and that was just a supporting role. 

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I could see him getting hired...as Cinematographer or VFX supervisor. 

His next project is already in pre-production. 'The Last Photograph'. It's a war movie. He's just waiting till the JL storm passes to make announcements.