DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

1 minute ago, Diana Prince said:

Judging by this weekend, if JL sold like it did on NY, it would have opened in the same range as BvS. The sales have been really good today in NY judging by the AMC chain. Obviously judging by the hugely disappointing numbers, NY is an anomaly.

We haven't gotten any national estimates for today. Who knows, maybe it has a better-than-expected (after yesterday) performance today. Unlikely, but possible. We are still hours away from that first data.

4 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

The break even point for BvS fell somewhere in the range of 800m-925m per reports from Variety and Deadline.

I have no reason to believe (regardless of the spin) that the break even for JL would be lower than BvS.

I do think BvS marketing budget must have been absurd. JL's marketing didn't seem nearly as permeating, so they may have saved some expenses there. 

9 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

We haven't gotten any national estimates for today. Who knows, maybe it has a better-than-expected (after yesterday) performance today. Unlikely, but possible. We are still hours away from that first data.

Yeah, unlikely but possible.

• Founder / Operator
46 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If it holds like BvS and SS did on Sat/Sun despite a drastically smaller preview/OD, then I can't see how any kind of good WOM can possibly be expected. Only holiday it really has is next weekend, Xmas grosses will likely be too small to matter much. 

True, but I can't see it falling off the face of the earth either. The past few years have been great examples of pre-Thanksgiving weekend openers sprouting longer legs than expected (Hunger Games, Fantastic Beasts). The fact that JL is performing so far below expectations/tracking/whatever-we-want-to-call-it makes me suspect even more that some casual audiences -- especially ones with kids -- are holding out for the holiday break.

I say all this with no dog in the race, either. I haven't even seen JL yet. Just theorizing at this point.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Diana Prince said:

Judging by this weekend, if JL sold like it did on NY, it would have opened in the same range as BvS. The sales have been really good today in NY judging by the AMC chain. Obviously judging by the hugely disappointing numbers, NY is an anomaly.

NYC though always sells more tickets than on avg but comparatively JL's sales weren't anywhere near BvS or even SM:HC.

• Like 1