DeeCee

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE (and The Star and Wonder) WEEKEND THREAD | PREMIUM ACCOUNT SALE NOW LIVE | Weekend Actuals ~ JL 93.84M, W 27.54M, T:R 21.66M, DH2 14.43M, MOTOE 13.80M, TS 9.81M

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

Yes, because Assassin's Creed opened on a Wednesday and had an OW of a terrible $10m and finished only with $54m.

How does that compare to a film that supposedly is going to open over $60m?

looking at previous Friday openers before Christmas (whether or not they're good comparisons to Aquaman):

Why Him? - 5.48x

Road Chip - 6.01x

Sisters - 6.25x

Force Awakens - 3.78x

Annie - 5.42x

Night at the Museum 3 - 6.65x

Walking with Dinosaurs - 5.09x

Jack Reacher - 5.26x

This is 40 - 5.83x

We Bought a Zoo - 8.08x

Tron Legacy - 3.91x

Yogi Bear - 6.11x

How Do You Know - 4.04x

Barring TFA (which is the biggest opener of all time) and Tron Legacy, none of these films has gotten below a 4x.  History shows that Aquaman should at least get close to a 4x as long as it's good (and considering Wan is directing it, that's definitely not out of the question).

Just now, cannastop said:

I don't understand. What's wrong with 3rd place?

2 Jurassic World Uni. $208,806,270 32.0% 4,274 $48,855 $652,270,625 6/12/2015
3 Marvel's The Avengers BV $207,438,708 33.3% 4,349 $47,698 $623,357,910 5/4/2012

Highly unlikely for TLJ to fall between these two.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wan has really only proven himself in horror though. F7 was fine but nothing really amazing, there were many other factors that led to it being huge besides quality.The writer of AM also only has Gangster Squad to his credit, so not exactly highly promising. I don't see AM being something exceptional, even if it's decent. 

• Like 1

Jurassic World and Avengers' opening weekends are within a nose of one another, so it seems unlikely (though not impossible) for Last Jedi to land in the narrow margin between them.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Mary Poppins: 300M

Aquaman: 180M

Mortal Engines: 160M

Bumblebee: 130M

Spider-Man: 80M

Bohemian Rhapsody: 70M

Emily Blunt is going to SLAY every other Christmas release :ohmygod: 

OTOH, Lin Manuel Miranda is going to be the king of Christmas :gold: 

Mortal Engines - 60/247

Spider-Man - 45/175

Mary Poppins - 30/164

Bohemian Rhapsody - 25/125

stacked.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I keep reminding myself that Justice League is Amy Adams's only performance for 2017 :whosad: On the bright side, she has Backseat and Sharp Objects next year.

I’m so hyped for Sharp Objects. Really loved the book. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Squadron Leader Tele said:

...they're one for four in terms of making "good" movies. Maybe they should boost that percentage before thinking about anything else.

True. BvS and SS were not good. MoS and WW were great. And only JL was good.

So I'd go one step further and say they're only one in five

8 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Only thing Aquaman has going for it is the same as Wonder Woman. Nilch expectations hence the filmmakers were left alone (to a degree) to do their thing and surprised everyone. 

Aquaman would be a shoo in for biggest moneymaker of all time...if James Cameron were directing.:P

AquaMan has a director that excelled with the visual and action aspect of his only other big budget film, and a writer that is far from proven. The more I think about it, the more obvious it seems it will just be a continuation of the Snyder formula. Lots of visual flair and spectacle with the underwater stuff, but thin story and characters. 

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I keep reminding myself that Justice League is Amy Adams's only performance for 2017 :whosad: On the bright side, she has Backseat and Sharp Objects next year.

And it has Sophia Lillis from IT as the young Amy. They really should get her to play the adult Beverly in the sequel, it certainly would be a much better use of her talent than these DCEU movies.

• Like 1