aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

Predictions for next weekend:

Coco: 17M

The Disaster Artist: 13M

Wonder: 8.3M

Justice League: 8.1M

Thor: Ragnarok: 5.8M

Daddy's Home 2: 4.8M

Lady Bird: 4.2M

Murder on the Orient Express: 4M

Three Billboards: 3.9M

Just Getting Started: 3M

next week:

1. Coco - 17.5M
  2. The Disaster Artist - 14.2M
  3. Wonder - 9.75M
  4. Justice League - 8.62M
  5. Thor: Ragnarok - 6.76M
  6. Lady Bird - 5.36M
  7. Daddy's Home 2 - 4.88M
  8. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 4.71M
  9. Murder on the Orient Express - 3.89M
  10. Just Getting Started - 3.1M
  11. The Star - 2.72M
  12. A Bad Moms Christmas - 2.67M
  13. Roman J. Israel, Esq. - 909k

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Predictions for next weekend:

Coco: 17M

The Disaster Artist: 13M

Wonder: 8.3M

Justice League: 8.1M

Thor: Ragnarok: 5.8M

Daddy's Home 2: 4.8M

Lady Bird: 4.2M

Murder on the Orient Express: 4M

Three Billboards: 3.9M

Just Getting Started: 3M

Wait, WHAT???? Is it going wide? Either way, there's no way it's doing $13M. You saw how front-loaded it played over the weekend. 

11 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

20 years ago when my sister was a big Titanic Stan (lol) I told her yeah well let’s see if Titanic can make $136 million in re-release in 20 years. It’s just a fad and nobody will give a shit about it in 20 years. I would like to humbly eat crow for that statement as the large theater count, 14th place finish, and $415,000 proved me wrong; 17 people did care, not nobody. :P

$415,000 in only 80 theaters or so is pretty solid, especially when it's available for everyone to watch at home.

25 minutes ago, a2knet said:

True. But I still don't see sub-220m. Is "only" 111-112m away from it after a 26m weekend. If Moana could add 129 after a 28m weekend facing RO+Sing than Coco should pull off 220m even with a worse performance. So far it's trended better than Moana and the same legs as Moana's from now on take it to ~227m.

Of course, that comment begs the club...is Star Wars 8 > Rogue One + Sing:)...

• Like 1

It's nice to see that the post-Thanksgiving holds weren't that bad. I know part of it is because there were no new wide releases and the TC drops were super low, but it definitely seems like things have held much better than in previous years.

Coco's hold was very solid, considering films like Moana and even Frozen dropped over 50%. With weaker family competition, BH6 numbers seem super likely, which is absolutely great for a film that many thought was gonna disappoint or even bomb. Justice League was Justice League. Wonder and Thor continue to do solid, and both will likely hit new milestones relatively soon. Orient and Daddy's Home 2 are still going great. Hopefully TC drops and Christmas legs are kind to them, as they both try and cross $100M.

Specialty-wise, this was the real highlight of the week. Lady Bird and 3 Billboards did great in expansion, and it's wonderful to see both movies break out in wide release. CMBYN dropping only 30% is also great, and I hope it earns a solid expansion. Oh, and Darkest Hour did good too.

Disaster Artist and Shape of Water also did phenomenal. Their PTAs are strong, and while I'm a touch concerned about their breakout potential, if both of them can make it around $50M give or take $10M, I'd say it's a win.

Wonder Wheel...not so much. Poor Kate Winslet, and poor Amazon for such a rocky fall after a relatively solid first three quarters.

16 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Wow, what an oddly specific year and timespan. I'm certain you definitely said that 20 years ago.

You’re joking right? 1997 = ANH Special Edition, when it retook #1. On the 20th anniversary. So yup, sure did say that! It was 20 years for a reason; SW just did it.

15 minutes ago, La Binoche said:

Wait, WHAT???? Is it going wide? Either way, there's no way it's doing $13M. You saw how front-loaded it played over the weekend. 

EC said it'd probably be in around 1,200 theaters, but after the strong PTA, it has to be approaching 2k.

Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

You’re joking right? 1997 = ANH Special Edition, when it retook #1. On the 20th anniversary. So yup, sure did say that! It was 20 years for a reason; SW just did it.

1. Titanic already had a huge global release in 2012 which made ~ 340M

2. Market  for Film Re-release now is much different than it was years ago, they are less frequent and make  less money. 

3. Titanic didn't exactly had room for developing into a massive global franchise, if Star Wars (1977) was a once and done film, I highly doubt it would have made that much in re-release, it's the franchise built up.

4. China has 4 times the population and will surpass Domestic market as the number 1 global market. I'm pointing to this because what people outside of America like, is also very relevant in this global age. Titanic re-release (3D) in 2012 was the second highest grossing film in China of that entire year. What do you think a re-release of Star Wars (1977) would do in China? Considering The force awakens was not able to outgross Titanic (3D) re-release there.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

How much did the expansion five years later make?