aabattery

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates - Coco 26.11M, JL 16.58M, Wonder 12.5M, T:R 9.65M, MOTOE 6.7M, LB 4.54M, 3BOEM 4.53M, TDA 1.22M

I like to think that the timing for coco, a movie about death, to release now is just nice to symbolize and honour the death of JL......

I assume this is what some of us need in this thread......

Edited by titanic2187
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, cookie said:

Battle Angel sounds like a bomb waiting to happen tbh

Anime adaptations actually have a worse track record than video game adaptations.

And this time the success is riding Robert Rodriguez:gold:

(Who's way past his prime)

Edited by grey ghost
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slambros said:

Bold prediction:

Wonder, which is holding extremely well, will eventually climb above Justice League on the box office weekend charts. This could potentially happen as soon as Star Wars weekend, where the bulk of Justice League's big-budget-blockbuster audience charges into the Star Wars auditoriums- this will cause a bigger percentage drop than Ferdinand would for either Coco or Wonder, at least in a just society.

What do you think? Is this plausible?

Who cares at this point?

JL performance won't be poorer for that.

Edited by efialtes76

I was so wrong about coco .. this thing is a beast.

I thought it would only cater to a specific group, but man it's slaying .....

For JL , at first I thought this time slot might be good ...but after thought it's not at all.

Thor took all the Superhero thunder ...and having two Superhero one after another is one too many..especially around the holidays people tend to look for more family movies ...like coco/wonder etc...

Also folks are  forward looking to StarWar as well ..... so that pretty much leave JL in the dust.

Edited by Subzero

12 minutes ago, Subzero said:

I was so wrong about coco .. this thing is a beast.

I thought it would only cater to a specific group, but man it's slaying .....

For JL , at first I thought this time slot might be good ...but after thought it's not at all.

Thor took all the Superhero thunder ...and having two Superhero one after another is one too many..especially around the holidays people tend to look for more family movies ...like coco/wonder etc...

Also folks are  forward looking to StarWar as well ..... so that pretty much leave JL in the dust.

Well despite all that, JL is going to cross $200m DOM and $600m WW pretty soon. Not bad for being "left in the dust". 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mrwick said:

If its 'technically' creative then its creative. Its visually a creative masterpiece and belive it or not, visuals make up a big portion of filmmaking.

With hundreds of films being made a year, there will always be other films that did an aspect of their story first. Technically Inception is just a copy of matrix meets nighmare on elm street and therefore is not creative going by your theory.

As for less interesting characters, there was a very good reason cameron decided to make Jake Sully paralysed. It made audiences connect with him, far more than they did in the films you mentioned. 

Not a bad point.   We often point to the "novelty" aspect of Avatar to help explain its box office run.   Doesn't "novelty" suggest "original"?

2 hours ago, Lor San Tele said:

Why are we re-fighting 20-year-old box-office battles?

:sarah: 

It's probably because Titanic is actually in theaters at the moment?     That's the part Empire missed I think.   It's a relevant topic in the weekend thread.

• Like 2