DeeCee

Episode IV:A NEW MOUSE | DISNEY | IT IS DONE

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The Oscars are irrelevant because he never cares about the movies nominated. It must suck having to look at the box office charts to decide what's the best of each year.

The Oscars are growing irrelevant due to declining audiences and the films that got nominated getting smaller and smaller box office boosts?

Its not politics, its the market. 

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Fuck this shit and the stanning for a soulless corporate bully because people like their cartoons. I ain't holding back on that, sorry. This could have devastating long term ramifications for the film and media industry and eventually the entire economy as mergers and buyouts and liquidations become larger and more prevalent. Thousands of people are going to lose their jobs because of this. The quality of product we as a consumer receive will also likely drop. And the praise and gain for a massive corporation will only encourage more companies to do this. We're headed for an America where five or six large companies own virtually everything. That's not an overreaction in my view, thats what evidence suggests. This is bad bad bad news.  Unless that's the country you want.

I still think things like this are overreactions.

It seems to be coming more from pessimistic emotions than actually based on the facts we know.

So far we know Disney is intending on keeping Searchlight, 2000 and 20th Century in tact. Those studios keep their jobs.  If they run them like they run Lucasfilm and Marvel, they likely retain some autonomy too.

This isn't starting a trend of mergers and buyouts, its continuing a trend/system that's existed for the last century.  

The quality of the product consumer was receive will go down?  There's really no way to determine that.  In all actuality, consumers seem to be liking Disney's stuff quite a bit (plus reviews are usually fairly glowing for most of their releases), I don't see how Disney is going to hurt Fox's film quality.  We already know they intend to keep Deadpool R, so they won't be watering down adult properties.

This is horizontal integration, now vertical.  This isn't a case of Disney expanding itself outside of an entertainment and media market.  Also, given the modern nature of the media market and the innovation of streaming, I'm not sure that market structure can support more than 5 or 6 companies.  Outside of the entertainment and media markets, it won't be the same 5 or 6.  Further, had Disney not bought Fox Comcast likely would have and you'd risk Apple buying Disney.  Further vertically integrating communication markets and film studios.  That's worse for competition than we're getting with Disney buying Fox's film assets.

I could go on.  

Anyways, in a perfect world, every market would be perfectly competitive and we wouldn't have to worry about oligopolies and major buyouts.  However, due to cost structures and the nature of certain industries, more concentrated markets are inevitable (as you'll either have a concentrated market or none at all).  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Darth Suburious said:

So would be okay with Disney buying Sony next? Universal buying paramount. 

I could see the latter happening. I can't control it man. I wouldn't be happy about it but I wouldn't fear it either because I don't know what the outcome would be. No one does (except maybe the Simpsons) because we can't see into the future. We can compare it to companies like airlines but nobody really knows what's truly going to happen.

So, if those happened, I would probably shrug my shoulders and hope for the best.

4 minutes ago, Darth Suburious said:

So would happy any time a big company buys another company?

I never said I was over the moon happy over this. I said I was optimistic but cautious. 

I live like an hour from Disney. So yeah, I know who they are and how they can treat their employees.

I would rather Disney buy them than Comcast.

Just now, Jonwo said:

I wonder what's going to happen to Fox, Fox News etc since they're not part of the deal. I assume they won't rebrand as Fox News and Fox is still brand recognition. I assume they can use Fox but not 20th Century or 21st Century Fox.  

They'll let them keep the trash.

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

You guys want to preserve something that cannot survive through normal market conditions?

Who do you think should stop or protect this?

The government? 

At least we're on the same page on this one. The government has nothing to do with the entertai,ment industry. If they want to sell to Disney why should they be stopped by an entity foreign to this business? It's not like Disney will be a monolpoly, there are other actors in this industry., not just Disney / Fox.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

You won't make me believe you that people losing their jobs is the main reason you're against this. It would be Comcast or a Chinese company buying these assets and nobody would complain. It's just a knee-jerk reaction against Disney.

The entertainment industry is upset by the arrival of tech giants such as Amazon, Netflix, Google, Facebook...in their business one way or another. Disney is trying to resist and adapt, this deal is about the future. A company not anticipating future trends and without ambition is doomed to decline or die. That's the right move from Disney.

I am not against Disney they made some good films. 

I do do care about loosing their jobs. You never meet me or know my personality. I care a great deal about people loosing their jobs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Aren't smaller movies doing super well and expanding great from record setting PTAS? Talk about closing your eyes to reality. Movies like Lady Bird and Three Billboards are making a killing as we speak.

They are doing really good. I said compared to like big blockbusters. Those films aren't going to suddenly stop being made.

But if they stopped being limited release and went straight to streaming like Geralds Game or the new Will Smith thing did...I can't see less people seeing them.

Tbh, I know Iger says they intend to keep Fox Searchlight but 10 years down the road, I'm not so sure they'll necessarily have the same opinion on that.

Any negative effects from the buyout is going to be the slow poison kind. It's not going to be an immediate shift of "HEY, THIS IS ALL GONE NOW." Some places will get shuttered due to redundancy over a period of time, and things will slowly creep more and more and by then, the outrage from the buyout will have long dissipated. 

I say this based on my admittedly anecdotal experience with a buyout that happened with my previous company. Part of our company's functions was bought, the people kept their jobs even though the buyer had their own division that did the same thing and lo and behold, about one year later, pretty sure after contract stipulations guaranteeing jobs, the office was shuttered down. At least they threw a ball and offered the employees the ability to relocate, as if that's an easy thing to do for families.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Darth Suburious said:

I am not against Disney they made some good films. 

I do do care about loosing their jobs. You never meet me or know my personality. I care a great deal about people loosing their jobs. 

Well, how can you be so sure people will lose these jobs? And particualrly thousands of people? It's not like they announced this in the deal.

7 minutes ago, The Last Panda said:

I still think things like this are overreactions.

It seems to be coming more from pessimistic emotions than actually based on the facts we know.

So far we know Disney is intending on keeping Searchlight, 2000 and 20th Century in tact. Those studios keep their jobs.  If they run them like they run Lucasfilm and Marvel, they likely retain some autonomy too.

This isn't starting a trend of mergers and buyouts, its continuing a trend/system that's existed for the last century.  

The quality of the product consumer was receive will go down?  There's really no way to determine that.  In all actuality, consumers seem to be liking Disney's stuff quite a bit (plus reviews are usually fairly glowing for most of their releases), I don't see how Disney is going to hurt Fox's film quality.  We already know they intend to keep Deadpool R, so they won't be watering down adult properties.

This is horizontal integration, now vertical.  This isn't a case of Disney expanding itself outside of an entertainment and media market.  Also, given the modern nature of the media market and the innovation of streaming, I'm not sure that market structure can support more than 5 or 6 companies.  Outside of the entertainment and media markets, it won't be the same 5 or 6.  Further, had Disney not bought Fox Comcast likely would have and you'd risk Apple buying Disney.  Further vertically integrating communication markets and film studios.  That's worse for competition than we're getting with Disney buying Fox's film assets.

I could go on.  

Anyways, in a perfect world, every market would be perfectly competitive and we wouldn't have to worry about oligopolies and major buyouts.  However, due to cost structures and the nature of certain industries, more concentrated markets are inevitable (as you'll either have a concentrated market or none at all).  

I agree with all of this. 

• Like 1

I suspect CBS and Viacom will remerge next and Sony Corporation will sell off Sony Pictures. The Columbia and Tristar Library would be very appealing to any buyer, I suspect Disney won't buy Sony but I could see interest from AT&T should the TimeWarner deal go through or possibly if CBS doesn't remerge with Viacom, I could see them acquiring Sony.

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Tbh, I know Iger says they intend to keep Fox Searchlight but 10 years down the road, I'm not so sure they'll necessarily have the same opinion on that.

Any negative effects from the buyout is going to be the slow poison kind. It's not going to be an immediate shift of "HEY, THIS IS ALL GONE NOW." Some places will get shuttered due to redundancy over a period of time, and things will slowly creep more and more and by then, the outrage from the buyout will have long dissipated. 

And if that happens than those productions will take those films to streaming services (some that could develop that we aren't even aware of yet) that can budget those. There will ALWAYS be audiences for those kinds of films.