Eric is Quiet

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

On 2/11/2018 at 9:23 AM, upprdeck said:

It really isnt that hard to stop this from happening though as long as the transactions are being properly listed by the movie place.  For large chains they just need to work with them to make sure it is happening.. they should be lumping transactions as the same type anyway or the theatre cant track purchases.

Problem is the chains don't want to work with them. MoviePass has made a few missteps, and one was they should've talked to the chains before starting and got some, or at least one, of them on board.  They could've customized the service for each chain and just kind of be a service provider.   This is more complicated than the Netflix model, Netflix just has to work with the content providers, MoviePass has to work with multiple entities. 

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/moviepass-ceo-expects-to-top-5-million-subscribers-by-2019-1202716355/

Moviepass is now 6% of all tickets sold, probably representing 7-8% of the market (since their buyers are not buying cheap Tuesday and 1st show uber-discounted tickets)...

EDIT: And Cinemark is not making a real dent, only repping an increase of 80K subscribers in 3 months...

Edited by TwoMisfits

So I went to see Red Sparrow today, but what was weird was that on the "Movies" section of the app, it said that "Moviepass can not be supported." But when I went into the theaters section, the showtimes were available to use. I managed to get it approved, but I hope to God I didn't break any rules.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

So I went to see Red Sparrow today, but what was weird was that on the "Movies" section of the app, it said that "Moviepass can not be supported." But when I went into the theaters section, the showtimes were available to use. I managed to get it approved, but I hope to God I didn't break any rules.

So, it's still screwed up today - won't help Red Sparrow then...

And if you did break a rule, remember there's also always Sinemia:)...competition is a wonderful thing!

Red Sparrow isn't under-performing because of MoviePass or else Death Wish would be over-performing. It is just that the bad reviews and Black panther are taking their toll on both new movies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BXT said:

Red Sparrow isn't under-performing because of MoviePass or else Death Wish would be over-performing. It is just that the bad reviews and Black panther are taking their toll on both new movies.

maybe it would have been performing even worse otherwise.  Thing is, we can't know.

I'm honestly curious to see what the backlash will be like from GA when this finally dies. I'm curious if itll be a "screw that, I guess I wont go back" attitude or "whatever, it was good while it lasted" attitude. People would see it as a super tease if MP was to come and go so quickly, though their customer service has been shoddy. The CEO is also an idiot, people unconsciously know you track them, but you're not supposed to admit it and make it conscious...

Regardless, we all know they chains and studios will eventually combine forces and make their own service. So while MP may not last as a service, the concept is here to stay.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:15 PM, commendable said:

So whats the list of stupid shit that movie pass does? I see that they are making you upload ticket stubs. For what reason? Also I hear that you can't subscribe after cancelling for like 3 months. 

They have people frauding them.  They want some people to prove they bought the ticket.   I guess you could activate it, and then use it nearby to buy something else.  It's just an activated debit card, it doesn't really know what you're buying.  Another thing people can do, if MP is blocking a showing, like they did for Red Sparrow when it opened, you can just selected another movie starting at the same time, get it activated, then go to the kiosk and select the blocked movie.  It defeats the block. 

I don't think this will be a long term solution for them.  Once they grow to a certain size they'd go broke hiring people to check out the pictures of the stubs, unless they develop some AI that can read it for them.