CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

If Mary Poppins somehow makes 400m (don't think it will, I'm just being theatrical), then there's a strong possibility of it nearly hitting a million, since I think it should do quite well overseas. After all the Mary Poppins title is popular in several places. 

I think if Poppins does Jungle Book numbers, Disney will be very happy and I suspect the budget is smaller compared to Jungle Book or BATB, probably $140-150m maximum so it doesn't need to do huge blockbuster numbers. 

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

all i want is for Dino vs. The Volcano to open bigger next summer.

I'm not 100% sure, Like TLJ, I'm expecting JWFK to drop as a sequel (Like Lost World) to a record breaker even though it does have 4th of July in it's run.  TLJ will have Christmas and New Years with not much huge competition, it's going to clean up.   If JWFK does 200 OW again I would be really surprised.  I'm expecting 175-185 range early projection.  The trailer is getting a lot of views and the brand of Jurassic Park can't be denied.  

Edited by filmscholar

Just now, DARth DAR said:

I still don't know how that guy got successful 

I totally understand why people hate him, but I love the guy. I listened for 25 years since I was a little kid driving around with my grandfather during summer vacation. Growing up and living in NYC/Jersey my whole life, he's basically been a life soundtrack.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think if Poppins does Jungle Book numbers, Disney will be very happy and I suspect the budget is smaller compared to Jungle Book or BATB, probably $140-150m maximum so it doesn't need to do huge blockbuster numbers. 

I suspect the budget isn't that big. Aside from Poppins's "magic", there probably won't be much in the way of CGI.

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I'm skeptical if they can recapture the magic of the original Mary Poppins.

That movie feels like lightning in a bottle thanks to the cast, the songs and the time period it was released.

I'm a bit skeptical too, but the December release date and the fact that Disney has some good people involved with the film makes me think / hope that quality-wise, they're doing Mary Poppins Returns right. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I never seen box office nerds this bored by numbers like this.

Welp, since nothing is beating TFA's numbers anytime soon i guess we'll be rooting for movies to flop and the following meltdowns for entertainment. :jeb!:

The 200-210 range is quite literally the most boring it could open to. Not low enough to warrant any kind of meltdown, and nowhere near impressive enough compared to its predecessor to get excited. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The 200-210 range is quite literally the most boring it could open to. Not low enough to warrant any kind of meltdown, and nowhere near impressive enough compared to its predecessor to get excited. 

Quoted for truth. What a roller-coaster this movie is. Rave reviews, fandom meltdown, boring opening. 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Well, im not bored by 200 Fucking Million Dollars on one weekend! SW just keeps crushing everything in its path.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

I'm a bit skeptical too, but the December release date and the fact that Disney has some good people involved with the film makes me think / hope that quality-wise, they're doing Mary Poppins Returns right. 

I know Rob Marshall gets a bad rap but he's very good at directing musicals. I'm not so sure on Shaiman and Wittman as composers though, Hairspray is their best work but I wasn't so keen on the stage version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

23 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think it's going to be the next BATB but I could see it doing over $350m, maybe even $400m domestic, it'll do strong business in the UK and Australia as well but actually I think we could see the wealth being spread, if Aquaman turns out well, that could easily do over $250m as well

Ive heard really good things about MPR.  So, yeah one to watch.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I know Rob Marshall gets a bad rap but he's very good at directing musicals. I'm not so sure on Shaiman and Wittman as composers though, Hairspray is their best work but I wasn't so keen on the stage version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

I'm interested to see what the songs will be like. Will they reference the original or will it mostly be original? I'm assuming the later. As for the composers, I'm skeptical but I like seeing Shaiman doing films so that's cool.